“Fantastic Local Speciality”

Ranked #35 of 105 Restaurants in Grass Valley
los angeles
“Fantastic Local Speciality”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Alas, the beef pastie missed the package so we had only a selection of the three different vegetarian varieties. Really delicious reheated and also available to eat on site.

Orangevale, CA
“"A" Number One, Place to experience the Golden Era of the 1849er's”
Reviewed May 22, 2010

When you visit the gold rush town of Grass Valley this is where you can have a pleasant taste from the past . These are made from the original recipe brought over from the Cornish community where these miners came from. The recipe is right down to the "T".
I have eaten these Pasties for the last 40 years. I grew up here in town, and our family would be invited to a little ol' cornish ladies house on Empire Street after Church. She would hand make these savory meat pies and they would have the same spicy flavor and warm aroma right out of the oven. This special Secret recipe has been pasted down for generations and( the others in town don't have this recipe) The ingredients are exact to the old recipe and you can't change that. Don't be fooled by the other comments being made. I am not any part of the Cousin Jacks, I just lived in town and know the truth. I buy 3 pasties when ever I am in town where I grew up. I reminisce the golden era of the miners that ate these meals in the mines 140 years ago. This was there Lunch and it was still hot after 4or5 hours in there tin container. My dad worked in these mines for 25 years.

Modesto, California
“A different lunch stop”
Reviewed November 7, 2009

My husband and I stopped here for a later lunch while visiting Grass Valley one afternoon. I had read about this restaurant in a guidebook and it sounded interesting, especially given the historical context as this was food the miners ate. We both had the beef pasty, myself the small and my husband the large. We both thought they were good, especially the crust. The filling was also good, although type and consistency of the beef was hard for me to figure out. The server said that it was not ground beef, but a beef sirloin, I think it had been chopped fine and was highly spiced. We also ordered the garlic, parmesean fries, also very good and laden with garlic! There are several types of pasties to try, including chicken, lamb and a few different vegetarian. The atmosphere is quaint with just a few tables inside and a simple decorative style. It was a pleasant place to sit and enjoy lunch. They also sell teaware and English food products as well as some other household items. The server was pleasant but not overly friendly. I noted that they had homemade desserts, mostly pies and they looked good. We did not have dessert as we were full. All in all, I would recommend this restaurant. This was the first time we have had pasties so we are not experts on them, but they seemed well made and were tasty enough. I probably could not eat them frequently as they are so filling with the rich crust.

1 Thank MSWMom50
Washington
“Not traditional. Not good.”
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Having been raised on my Grandfather's recipe for pasties, I was looking forward to going to Cousin Jack's. What a disappointment.
First, they list their pasties as being traditional. I defy you to find a Cornish person who has ever had a chicken or vegetable or cheese pastie. Traditionally, they are made with suet and swede, and have evolved into steak chunks, potatoes and onions. Some make it with carrots and/or turnips.
Before ordering, I asked the girl if the beef was ground or chunks. She said it was both, but mostly chunks. It was neither. It looked like it had been put through a paper shredder.
The taste was "off". Both my husband and I needed to get something else to eat to get rid of the taste these left.
If you're visiting Grass Valley, find somewhere else to eat.

So. Acworth, NH
“Why the Crisco?”
Reviewed October 10, 2008

I was in Grass Valley for a long week-end and since I love pasties, I visited Cousin Jack's. One of the first questions I asked them was what they used for shortening in the pastry, and I was dismayed to find out that it was Crisco. I bought a vegetable pasty anyway and although it was delicious, I didn't enjoy it as much knowing about the Crisco. I had been planning to buy at least 6 of them to bring back home, and would have, had it not been for the trans-fats.

1 Thank mokacapp