“Great place, ok service, splendid food”
Review of Tofanelli's

Tofanelli's
Ranked #2 of 108 Restaurants in Grass Valley
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Ate breakfast here on the 3rd, 4th, & 5th of August. On the 5th, we asked if they had biscuits and gravy, because it wasn't on the breakfast menu. They did, but it's on the menu under "Odds and Ends" on the last page! Hubby had that and I got ONE bite. Was the best biscuits and gravy I've ever eaten! And I'm old. Wow!

Our breakfasts were great each day. Will be going back!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Chose this restaurant, 45 miles away, to celebrate a birthday lunch because of recommendations and reviews. Also chose to sit outside on the patio. Attractive and pleasant atmosphere although the flies were horrible. The food was very good, hamburger and salad, and the service was okay, friendly enough, but had to ask for bread, butter, and dressing. Margarita was definitely not the best and pretty expensive. Will consider trying it for dinner next time. Just didn't meet my expectations this time.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is fast becoming a favorite restaurant. We've enjoyed everything we've tried, the service is friendly and accommodating and the gardens and ambiance in the patio dining puts me immediately in vacation mode . The weekend music is enjoyable, background, and not intrusive to conversation.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We've eaten there several times, best food, best drinks, best location and best indoor/outdoor dining.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

As a resident of the area for 12 years, we have visited the restaurant numerous times. We have enjoyed the rustic charm of the building, expecially the bar/dining room with it's tin ceiling. Photos from the area's past adorn the walls and document the building's past. That being said, during the past few visits, we have noticed that both the service and quality of food has deteriorated. I'll use our latest two visits to illustrate:

Mother's Day 2013. You would expect a restaurant to be adequately staffed on day such as this, even at 5:00PM. Of course, we requested to sit in the bar/dining area with the tin ceiling. What we soon found out, is that many of the tables in this area are served by the bartender. While there was another server present, we had to wait for the bartender to come to the table. While he was pleasant and apologized for the delay, it would get worse. It seems the bar duties come first and when he got a free moment, he served our table. When we finally got our main courses, they were only so-so. Not the to die for food we had been served in the past. Service continued to get slower and slower. Finally, I requested to speak to the manager. The other server came by and contacted me. While I did not blame the bartender, I explained the service was horrible. She explained, they were under staffed and walked away. Strike 1

Some three and half weeks later, my wife decided she wanted to have her birthday dinner at Tofanelli's. I asked her, if she remembered what happened on our prior visit and she said she still wanted to go there for dinner. So back to the restaurant we went (5:15 PM), and of course requested to sit in the bar/dining area. Soon, we were greated by the bartender who again was charged with acting as our server. I explained our past issue and was assured things would be better this time. Okay we'll give it a try. The initial beverage service was okay, and except for the bus boy who seemed to be rationing the bread, everything pointed to a good dining experience. From there it was downhill. As the restuarant got busier, service declined big time. The bus boy would walk by and see that we were out of bread, but never asked if we wanted more. We always had to ask him.

As things progressed, service continued to declined. My wife had ordered an appetizer to share with my son who had driven in from Reno:

Roasted Fresh Asparagus,
With roasted sweet peppers, shaved parmesan and creamy lemon garlic aioli

What she received was four spears of steamed aspargus on a small plate. No peppers, no parmesan and no lemon garlic aioloi. When we finally got our bartender/server's attention and asked about the item, she assured us that it was the correct item. Not even close. Main courses were fair, but fell well short of previous experiences. Filets were marginal. Service continued to decline, as the restaturant got buiser, and beverages went unfilled. Finally, we had enough and my wife decided to pass on her dessert for her birthday. When I reviewed the bill prior to paying, I saw my wife's beverage (strawberry martini) had been broken down into two charges. Eight dollars, $8, for the martini and $1.50 for the half of a strawberry that sat on the rim of the glass. Really, I think that's quite the reach on the pricing. At least reprogram the computer to list one price for the item. We left and walked to a local ice cream store, which was 100% better in both the service and quality of the dessert. Strike 2

Finally, there has been a huge push in our community to shop and dine local. When you submit a concern to a local restaurant, you would expect an answer. I have never been contacted by the restaurant to even discuss my concerns. There are other local restaurants I can go to. Strike 3

1  Thank Michael L