“Fantastico!! A fabulous Italian dining experience...”
Review of Trattoria Milano

Trattoria Milano
Ranked #5 of 105 Restaurants in Grass Valley
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in a charming Victorian house, Trattoria Milano offers authentic Northern Italian cuisine.
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I'm a local and have enjoyed this restaurant for years under its previous incarnation, Villa Venezia. So now there's new management, but the same chef, and the place is even Better than before based on last night's first rate dinner.

The ambiance in the lovely old Victorian home is charming and cozy, and the food was simply phenomenal. I had this amazing crepe dish which was truly squisito (exquisite!) -- Very authentic, perfectly prepared and presented, and with the surprise delight of a fresh arugula w/ fresh tomato salad on the side. The foccacia bread was delightful and I also enjoyed a killer glass of Zin (from our own local Nevada City Winery). And the service was OFF THE HOOK. You couldn't feel more welcome, or fussed over but in a nice unobtrusive way, really congenial and uber professional + altogether charming wait staff. And I noticed this man subtly hovering in the background, watching everything, and yup...turns out he's the new owner. So I shook hands with him upon leaving and congratulated him as they simply did EVERYthing right -- zero room for improvement -- bellissima!

My dining companion had a seafood/pasta extravaganza in a bowl + a fresh mozarella salad of some sort and was equally wow'd.

So high praise from us both, and well deserved....wishing them all the best, and I'll Definitely be back....SOON!

1  Thank SoloSightseer
There are newer reviews for Trattoria Milano

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Oh, how long we have waited.Although the menu and dessert list is not extensive, and the wine list is small and hopefully evolving, we had a wonderful evening at a REAL Italian restaurant. Every plate and entree was prepared the way Italian food should be done. And the service was excellent, knowledgable and friendly, with a staff that is attentive without being smothering. Caprese salad was wonderful- finally done without the typical hard and tasteless tomatoes so commonly seen, but rather marinated to perfection with amazing slabs of mozzarella. The octopus salad was unique and fantastic. The pasta and the prawns, cooked to perfection. Side dishes-mouthwatering. Price and value- almost beyond belief how reasonable, and at this quality level! Cannot say enough good things about Trattorio Milano, and how much the foothills has needed such a place! The future is very, very bright at this fine establishment.

2  Thank Nevis15
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I went with family visiting from the Northwest and we had a superb meal. The osso buco with risotto (a special that evening) was to die for and so was the pasta with the seafood. Be sure to try the mozzarella "tower". It is a large enough appetizer to share and it is so yummy! (But be careful--it is a high stack and ours was like a leaning tower of Pisa, and it did actually topple! But they quickly made us another one.) The service was friendly and not too overattentive, and very knowledgeable. We had a Chianti, I forget the name but it was in the middle of the wine list, that was also delicious. My whole family wish them success in this new venture. We, who live here, feel very lucky that we get to go as often as we wish!

1  Thank mdambeck
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wonderful ambiance! Had the mussels, crepes-utterly yummy!, lasagna, delicious fresh-baked hot focaccia bread with superb olive oil, chocolate mousse, and key lime pie! The service was attentive without being intrusive, and we had a lovely lunch! We did not feel rushed to go, and enjoyed our coffee and tea in a leisurely manner. We're definitely going again. There are many different rooms, terraces, and tables under umbrellas to choose from. There is private parking around the beautiful Victorian house which houses Trattoria Milano.

2  Thank lflet
Reviewed April 21, 2013

When I found out that Trattoria Milano had new owners, I decided to give it a try. I enjoyed an informal lunch on the outside front porch...a yummy Italian meal in beautiful, relaxed, Victorian-era surroundings. It was deliciously seasoned chicken with potatoes...but the highlight of the dish was the cooked carrot and vegetable side. I have no idea what the chef did to make those carrots so DELICIOUS, but I will definitely return for more. Highly recommended.

1  Thank MagaretJean