“Older hotel with bad curb appeal”
Review of Holiday Lodge

Holiday Lodge
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Reviewed September 27, 2013

When we first pulled into the place we felt we had driven into the local flop house with rooms to rent by the hour. Had a tarp over a section of the roof, old mattress stacked along the street side. Upon walking into the office we were greeted very nicely by a wonderful woman with a great sense of humor. We had arrived much earlier than expected and our rooms were not ready yet. The woman we were dealing with made us feel like we were job number one and moved the entire cleaning staff around to get our three rooms done. Really nice. Still wondering what the rooms would be like. Upon entering we found them to be very clean and basic rooms. Some had been remodeled with a theme which was a good touch considering how the place looked from the outside. The rooms were quite. A bit worn and torn. We felt it was over priced for what we were getting but it worked for a night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mans265
There are newer reviews for Holiday Lodge

Reviewed August 18, 2013

An unclean "non smoking" room. Overpriced. My preference is to stay in locally owned places but this was a bad choice. I would recommend finding a different place.

The location is ok but not walkable to Grass Valley's cute downtown

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank cyclinjohn
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This place was horribly overpriced. Had to stay locally for a memorial service and didn't want to spend the money on a B&B. This was about my only option close to the event and it was over $100 a night (ouch!)

Listed as a non-smoking room but definitely had had smokers in it--my clothing smelled even when I got home. Facility old, several things broken or not working properly (including front door which you had to jam to close, phone, which I couldn't even use to call front desk--had to use my cell phone, and light on landing at top of stairs was broken so we couldn't see to get into the room.) All bedding was old and the whole room smelled musty and smoky.

Breakfast consisted of some cereals and fruit that looked like they had picked it off local trees. Lady at front desk was not very friendly and we got to listen to her religious program through the window while we had our breakfast.

I would have felt I spent too much paying $60 a night in this place, but $100 was highway robbery! Do yourself a favor and choose someplace--anyplace--else.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Caren P
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Holiday Lodge in May. They were most accomodating and Dawn Olson was a wonderful hostess. Though it is an older property, I thought for the price of the room, we could not have found better accomodations in Grass Valley. Value for the price was outstanding. Enjoyed our stay immensely and will stay there everytime I go to my hometown. Thanks to all the wonderful staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I called to say it would be a late check-in and was told that late check-in meant by 7:00 pm. They finally agreed to leave a key for me. Walked into our room and it was like an ash tray. Smelled awful, inspite of the No Smoking sign on the door. Gave us another room. After removing the pubic hair from one of the pillows, and the oatmeal from the sink, we adjusted. Room definitely needed updating. One of the worst "low price" places I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Pat F
Reviewed March 3, 2013

In need of some major remodeling. The receptionist was nice, room was old. I took a glass out of the sanitized bag & it had cigarette ashes in it. The bathroom was gross. It seemed clean but was so old. & stained. Blankets were worn & torn. Big plastic sheets on the roof with sand bags holding it down. I couldn't wait to check out. Price was high for such a run down place

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Latina53
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I couldn't agree more that this is , indeed, an excellent accomodation. It is not stylishly new, but neither were the manners, courtesy, and caring attitude evidenced by all members of the staff. In the last several years I have found it difficult to get extra towels after 8 P.M. in most of our "4 and 5" star hotel chains. "Housekeeping is no longer on duty." A call to Dawn, the manager, at 10:30 P.M. regarding a non-functioning TV remote was responded to immediately and ended up having the maintainence man replace the set so that I could see the news at 11! Find that elsewhere! Clean, comfortable, newly painted inside. Breakfast of coffee, cereal, cello-packed Danish, and juice in the "garden room" was just enought to start the day and better than the $23.00 continental breakfast at Chicago's "Grand Old Hotel Known to All" (you know the name! I'll return to Holiday Lodge with pleasurable anticipation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Northern Queen Inn
Northern Queen Inn
#4 of 5 in Nevada City
Best Western Golden Key

Been to Holiday Lodge? Share your experiences!