“A place where your treated like family”
Review of Holiday Lodge

Holiday Lodge
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
“A place where your treated like family”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times and everytime I stay there I get nothing but good service. The housekeepers are very friendly and are constantly asking if you need anything. The office manager is a wonderful lady , she gave me a card with her personal number on it and told me I could call anytime of night if I needed anything. In the middle of the night I needed a heater and she rushed to my call and brought me a heater. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone one looking for a great room where your treated like family.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
grass valley
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I have three small children and I highly recommend this place for anyone who has kids! They have a great breakfast thats included with your room. The maids were so sweet my son spilled his juice and they were right there and cleaned it up instantly! If you are traveling with children or alone I really recommend this place! I've already booked a room for the summer because I want to try their lovely pool! They even have theme rooms how fun!!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I was supposed to stay here back in August '10 but had a change of plans. I called to cancel my room and was told it was "taken care of." That turned out to not be the case and I was charged. I cancelled over 24 hours in advance, but they request over 48 hours notice. However, there was a soccer tournament in town and all hotels were booked. They were even booked that night, but kept my room unoccupied! I understand they didn't have to refund my money, but they could have easily rented out the room to someone else. It would have been the nice thing to do.

When I called to speak with them, I was treated to just terrible customer service. I got absolutely nowhere with the front desk person and was then transferred to the manager who was even less help. Because I didn't get the person's name when I cancelled my reservation, they wouldn't refund my $100. I ended up giving up because I had other things going on in my life at the time (my father had just died... the reason I had to cancel in the first place). Don't stay at this place unless you want terrible customer service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank CatchyName37
Rupert, Idaho
Reviewed December 1, 2010

we rented a room for the holidays when we arrive for our room. The room is cold we look around to find out why room is so cold and there is no frame work around air condition unit and cold air is pouring in. This place needs to be closed down by the health department I would not recomend this place at all and good luck getting your money back

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank oldlady13
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed October 13, 2010

If you want a room, you'll get it. If you want a bed, you'll get it. If you want a TV you'll get it - old, small. If you want internet, you might get it but i could not connect my ipad in spite of several attempts, and i have never had any problem in any other hotel. If you want to hear the conversations in the adjacent rooms, you'll get that too. If you want pre-packaged vending machine style pastries for breakfast, you'll get them. If you insist on staying here, go to the Humpty Dumpty Kitchen just down the road for a great, inexpensive breakfast.This motel is old, worn, noisy and utterly lacking in charm. It is, however, clean and the internal walls have been covered in whitepaint. The room was also a reasonable size. My advice is stay somewhere else and pay a lot less for what will probably be comparable quality. Over $100 per night through Expedia was outrageous.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank patriciabuon
Los Altos, California
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I arrived at this hotel after driving all day into the early evening.
The desk clerk was nice and started the check-in process. She located our reservation but no rooms were available.

The deck clerk was attempting to find us another hotel while I called the travel agent.
Our travel agent (a major company) who has never failed us before stated their system showed the hotel still had open rooms. What?

I let the desk clerk speak with the travel agent using my cellphone. She stated (to the travel agent) this type of problem had been happening and she was sorry but they had no rooms available. It appears the hotel reservation system doesn't work correctly with a major travel agent.

Attempting to help me, the desk clerk called one hotel and found it was booked. She recommended I try another city. I called our travel agent (again) and was asking them to book another room as near as possible. All of a sudden, an older woman in a night gown appeared behind the front desk and asked me to leave or she would call the Police! "What? I'd done nothing wrong!" She continued "They had no rooms and I was upsetting her desk clerk! I stated "I was not trying to upset anyone, I had a valid reservation but knew she could not give me something she did not have". "I had driven all day/night, was very tired and now was speaking to my travel agent attempting to find another place to stay (other then the car)."

She said, "These computers mess up all the time and it wasn't her problem. I would need to (speak to my travel agent) do that outside, she didn't want me (talking about this mess) in her lobby."

I can only assume she sleeps on site, in a room behind the front desk. Perhaps, our attempts at resolving the issue was keeping her awake?

That said, telling a customer to leave the lobby during a phone call to the travel agent or she will call the police was the poorest customer service I have ever received in my life. I've traveled the world (millions of miles) on business and pleasure.

"Ms. Night Gown" (a first for me), I assume is the hotel owner.
Who else would be allowed to stand behind the front desk and talk to customers in this fashion (ok, maybe it's the ownwers mother (LOL). I don't know for sure.

She didn't care about helping travelers who's only crime was attempting to be a customer. She completely over reacted and should have taken ownership of the issue.
Customers will always remember (good or bad) how you handle a problem.
Our travel agent found us a room 45 mins away. We will remain a customer because they worked to correct the problem. Ms. Night Gown with 15 mins of effort could have been in the same position but she didn't care what happened to us. I guess she has all the business she can handle and doesn't need to treat people well.

You have been warned, Traveler beware.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank Stewart33
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed June 5, 2009

We took our extended family from Norway and England here for one night and liked it. The place was clean, had a good atmosphere and was well kept. The woman in charge worked hard and responded quickly to all our requests.
The towels were thin, but so what? They where clean and did the job. The breakfast was nice, and we would absolutely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
#6 of 10 in Grass Valley
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#2 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Holiday Lodge? Share your experiences!