Golden Chain Resort Motel
Gold Miners Inn(Grass Valley)
$159
AscendHotels
$130
Sierra Mountain Inn(Grass Valley)
$120
$165
Coach N Four Motel(Grass Valley)
$80
$86
Travelocity
Holbrooke Hotel(Grass Valley)
$114
Nevada City Inn(Nevada City)
$65
$63
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 9, 2013

very old run down. no ice machine. satellite was very fuzzy, No sound on the one station I wanted to watch. No wifi after the 3rd room. Room smelled funny. Room was marginally clean. The pool was full of frogs and turtles. Shower was dangerous no light, nothing to hold onto. Just slightly better than sleeping in the car.

Room Tip: read trip adviser first
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Trudy R
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This place has really gone down hill over the last year. The pool has been "temporarily" closed all summer. From what the hotel people tell me, I doubt it will open up at all. The room we had smelled like vomit, there was dirty washcloths in the bathroom, and the shower light didn't work. I asked the ladies up front to move me to a different room because of the shower light issue and they told me that none of the rooms have shower lights - I later found out that this was a lie. The carpets were stained, there were burn holes in the bedding, and the heat lamp in the bathroom was an eerie hue of red. The people that stay at the motel are scummy. We had the pleasure of meeting a lady a few doors down who had just gotten evicted from her apartment for selling drugs. She was now living in the motel with her teenage daughter. She bragged about "smoking glass" the night before. She said that the hotel management let her live there for free because she was down on her luck. That's all fine and well, but I wasn't too thrilled about paying $75 for a room when it seemed as though the lowlifes of Grass Valley were living there for free. The staff is nice but extremely unprofessional. I overhead the cleaning lady joking about what a horrible job she does. I can confirm her lack of cleaning skills due to the filthiness of the room. We had stayed at the Golden Chain numerous times over the past year, but we will definitely not be returning. The prices went up, the quality went down, and the staff constantly uses the excuse of not having enough money from corporate to do anything about it. Maybe if they charged for the rooms instead of letting crackheads live there for free, they'd be alright. The place gave me the creeps and I will never return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KelCee1987
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have stayed here previously and the room was clean and ok. This time my husband was going to have surgery so we decided to stay there for two nights. $167.00. We checked into room 119. Stains on the carpet all over, holes in the walls, toothpaste in the sink. We were afraid to pull down the covers and look at the sheets. We left. The clerk at the front desk would only refund 1 nights rate. The pool was full of green water. It was more than gross. Found out the same man owns the Best Western and the Nevada City Inn. It is very apparent that he puts his money in the Best Western. The place was more than gross, it deserves a negative rating. No ice machine. Best to avoid this place who knows what lies under the sheets.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Joyce W
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Wow, I can't believe this is the same motel I left positive feedback for a year or so ago. I made a reservation here for a particular room and when we arrived they had give "our" room away to someone else. They were sold out and gave us another room. It was AWFUL! The carpet was very badly stained and was DISGUSTING! There was hair on the phone and bathroom floor. The towels literally looked like the kind of towels I use at home for rags. The tv remote did not work. Hardly any hot water in the shower. No ice machine on property. The young man that checked us in was very nice and brought us a tray of ice...not the employees fault. I guess the motel was purchased by some foreigner that DOES NOT want to spend any money on upkeep and doesn't care. We couldn't go anywhere else because all the motels in town were sold out. Really disappointing because at one time this was a nice little motel!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kelkel90
Reviewed November 11, 2012

1 bulb out of 3 in the dim bathroom worked, phone number did not work to call and find out how to locate them while en route, lamp shade broken, decaf only in room and told no regular coffee until 7 AM in the lobby, towels same thickness as worn Motel 6 towels, shower was a trickle, TV pathetic channel selection and reception, and continental breakfast was coffee with no cream and individually packaged pastries from Costco that sell for about 50 for $10. One thing not overlooked, however, was the tip envelope in the room. Get real. If you are passing through and just need a quick sleep, ok, but expect nothing more. It's way past its golden days.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, go to Best Western Gold Country Inn, closer to Grass Valley, on Brunswick exit. It's way worth the extra dollars.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple