“Best hotel/motel in Grass Valley and area”

Grass Valley Courtyard Suites
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Charming hotel/motel located just off the Colfax exit on Hwy 49 (far enough away from hightway noise) on a quiet side street one block from shops and wonderful restaurants. Ample parking close to rooms.

My friend has walking and balance problems and therefore, somewhat handicapped so requested a handicap room. Normally, she has trouble showering at hotels, but the room and bath were so well equipped that she had no problems at all feeling safe and not afraid of falling.

In addition, when she travels, she never sleeps well the first night. The Temperpedic mattresses were so comfortable, she slept soudly throughout the night. I was so impressed with the comfort of the mattress that when I replace my mattress at home, I will buy a Temperpedic.

The breakfast room is very lovely and comfortable and includs a fireplace. It has the atmosphere of a "bed and breakfast". The breakfast was excellent and delicious with a large variety of fruits, juices, rolls, muffins, and don't miss the waffles. In the early evening wine is served along with an unbelievable array of nibbles along with (can you believe) artichoke hearts and large stuffed juicy olives.

My friend and I between us do a good bit of traveling, so please believe me when I tell you that you will be very happy staying at the Grass Valley Courtyard Suites. The staff is excellent and well informed and helpful. The manager, Kathy Racz, makes it appoint to personally meet all her guests and is very knowledable about the area and guiding you to the points of interest and the best restaurants and shops, etc.

And don't miss Nevada City and Auburn. They both have Old Town areas too with great shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bluestar91
There are newer reviews for Grass Valley Courtyard Suites

Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed at Courtyard Suites for our first trip to Grass Valley. It was recommended to us and we would like to do the same. The room was lovely and the bed very comfortable. In room robes were very nice.
The breakfast was wonderful. A complete spread, waffles, cereals, fruit, pasteries, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, bagels, toast, juices , teas, coffee, milk and more.....
We never got to the 'happy hour' because we were out .
The proximity to town was great. Two blocks and you're there, but it is far enough away that you hear no noise.
We look forward to staying there in the Summer with our small grandchildren, the grounds are nice and will give them some good space to move around. We'll be using the nice pool and workout room as well.
The price was reasonable and with the included food, we feel a real bargain.
B. San Mateo, CA

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My wife and I are terrible travelers. We do not sleep well away from home and restaurant food can be a real challenge because we both have health-related dietary restrictions.

The Grass Valley Courtyard Suites helped us deal with both of those issues. We had a queen suite with a full kitchen, including an oven, a cook top, a microwave, dishwasher and home-sized refrig/freezer. We were able to cook all out meals in the room with very little difficulty.

The small living room was very comfortable and the bed was a dream for sleeping.

Because we had a suite we were assigned a covered parking space, a real bonus in the summer Sierra Foothill sun.

The no extra charge breakfast is a little skimpy—nothing hot except for waffles—but there is a decent selection including pastries and fresh fruit daily.

Each evening there was a little happy hour reception. There were a couple of pretty decent red wines and a nice little chardonnay each evening along with sweets, cheese and crackers, nuts and fresh fruit. I dropped in every evening and there was always a mixture of families with kids grabbing a snack and working guys enjoying a quiet glass of wine at the end of their day.

The staff was spectacular, everything was clean and well-maintained and there was absolutely no noise from the outside world. Our only very small complaint was that a large family with a herd of kids moved into the suite above us on day two and the noise from the footsteps was intrusive. This was a very small issue.

A couple of more thoughts:

The closest grocery is a very small Safeway. I recommend it only for quick pickups. There is a large Safeway super store a couple of miles toward Nevada City and a newly remodeled Railey’s a couple of miles back toward Auburn. They are both a better choice for major grocery trips.

I tried just about every espresso shop in town while I was there. My vote for the best is Caroline Coffee, just a couple of blocks down the hill from Grass Valley Courtyard Suites.

On Thursday nights during much of the summer there is a farmers’ market/street fair in downtown Grass Valley. Going to this was the highlight of our trip. There were thousands of people of all ages and types on the street and very interesting and unique vendors of arts, craft and foods. People were so very friendly and were having such a good time that we thought about staying an extra day so that we could go to the Saturday market in downtown.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lou A
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We have stayed at the Grass Valley Courtyard Suites three times now (would have been four, but we had to cancel once). We originally started going there because of the Tempurpedic mattresses, which are wonderful, but we have gone back for a lot more reasons than that. The people are nice, and the place is well managed. The prices are very reasonable. The location is very convenient both for downtown Grass Valley (lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance) and for hiking in the Gold Country and the Sierra. The extended continental breakfast (now featuring fresh waffles) is perfect for us. The rooms are clean and comfortable, with free internet access, DVD players, and a little refrigerator and microwave even in the basic, least expensive rooms. We plan to return in the future whenever we visit the Grass Valley area.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I travel every week for work. I thought I was staying at a Courtyard Marriott until I took a closer look as I was pulling into the hotel.
Boy, this is no Marriott Courtyard. It's way better.

I can't totally describe in words, but it's very nice. People are nice, service is great, and it's so relaxing. Free internet, happy hour, and breakfast.

I love this place.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank nr91326
Reviewed June 4, 2008

This is the best value for what you get. Bedrooms were roomy with great mattress...large bathrooms and small kitchenette. It was spacious and comfortable at the same time! Also this hotel is about a block from Main St. The noise was never a factor as you are tucked away. Short walk to main st. Staff very friendly and helpful. Will return again!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2008

I had heard about this place through a friend who have stayed there. When we checked in we were greeted with warm smiles in a quiet and quaint atmosphere, and that was only the beginning! Never before had we stayed in such a luxurious room. Not only was this the cleanest hotel but they had Tepur-pedic beds! There was no charge for internet access or fitness center. I felt like a queen sitting in their dinning area having a glass of wine and a plate of appetizers while sitting in front of the fireplace before walking only a block to fabulous restaurants. I also noticed there is a Bar-B-Que there for guests to use as well as laundry facilities. Another plus to this exquisite hotel is the quiet. This hotel is located in a residential area but only a block or so away from the downtown area so you can sleep soundly on those Tempur-Pedic beds!!! The staff are very friendly and efficient in helping you with any questions or recommendations. You know that saying, "you get what you pay for"? Well here you get more than you pay for! Anyone would be a fool not to stay here

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Northern Queen Inn
Northern Queen Inn
#4 of 5 in Nevada City
Best Western Golden Key

Been to Grass Valley Courtyard Suites? Share your experiences!