“Eclectic little place with fantastic food”
Review of South Pine Cafe

South Pine Cafe
Ranked #1 of 105 Restaurants in Grass Valley
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We showed up 15 minutes before closing time but were able to sit and eat with nobody rushing us.. the service was actually very friendly and efficient. The food was amazing! I had the lobster eggs benedict with jalapeno hollandaise. The sauce had a little zing but just enough to make it good and not overpower. I was worried the lobster would be fishy and taste prefrozen but it didn't.. it was very good! The coffee was even excellent here. It is a small place so I would imagine it could get busy, but I believe it would be worth the wait.

There are newer reviews for South Pine Cafe

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Simple, nice clean lunch restaurant, place your order at the counter and they will call your name when ready. You can eat there or take it to go. Delicious breads, with many sandwich choices, and the chicken breast with Bree and sliced apples was tasty. The hamburgers and hot dogs seem to be their specialty, and others in our group felt the need to visit numerous times. Simple place, but fast, friendly and delicious.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Good coffee as well. Most likely have a house full worth gettin in early or waiting around.
Staff is friendly and management is tight

1  Thank Scout444
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We ate here once and I doubt will ever return. Food was "OK", but nothing to rave about. Atmosphere was strictly walk in, eat, and get the heck out. Waitress didn't act like they cared if you needed or wanted anything. It is a cramped, noisey hole in the wall filled with street people on the day we were there. I guess they have to get any business they can get.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Let Me start by saying that I have been a looong time supporter of all South Pine Restaurants. 16 years I have been dining in Nevada City with them, never a bad experience. The one in Nevada City is amazing and their new Pine Street Burgers is absolutely my favorite right now! Grass Valley location opened and at first it was great..for many years in fact I preferred it. Its clear over the last year it has been going down hill. There is an obvious lack of Management (or a manager that doesnt know what she's doing).
I walked in at 9:30am on a Sunday morning Dec 29th..waiting for 1 other person. I put my name on the list for 4. 20 minutes in to the wait walks another 4 top and approaches the hostess. She walks over to Me and asks if our whole party was here? I said 3 of us are and my sister is walking down the road right now, I pointed out the street where you could see her walking. She replied "Okay, well I cant seat you until everyone is actually here...so let Me know when She's actually here." And then just walks away. I watched her seat the new 4 top, I approached her and said, "So I dont understand, 3 of us are here and the 4th is about to walk in the room, doesnt a 3 top fit at a 4 top anyway?" She replied "We have a policy that we dont seat unless everyone is here, the rule is so that everyone orders at the same time." (WHAT?) I asked "So are we going to have to wait another 20 minutes?" She sharply replied "You will get the next table as long as She is here," And again walked away. My sister walks in making us complete. I walk over to tell her and she is complaining about Me to her manager, mimicking Me with attitude. I walked closer and said "Hi, she's here now." "Great" she snapped.

Another 25 minutes goes by and a 6 top walks in, puts there name on the list. 10 minutes later the Manager seats them ahead of us! I walked over to the list and she put a special little star next to my name and half scratched out the 6 top. At this point my whole party is pissed off. I could tell they were both having fun screwing with us, and its my birthday by the way so I wanted to keep calm. I approached her and said "Hey, so Im not trying to be rude to you, I just dont really understand whats going on? It has been another 30 min now.." She interrupts Me,"Look, its a policy and my manager is here so I couldnt break it, I've been working here a really long time, Im just trying to uphold the rules." I said"Yes I get that, but it seems there might be a little grey area in your policies when you can see the 4th person through the window walking here. Its my birthday, I've been coming here since before you worked here and have NEVER heard of this policy. I have been seated here the last 2 times in the last 4 months and waited 20-30 minutes to order, so it doesnt make a lot of sense, it seems silly." She looked at Me with a rude look on her face and said, "Its a policy, doesnt matter if you can see her in the window, my manager is here so thats the rule. Sorry." In the rudest tone of voice and a look of F*^# You on her face.
She made us wait another 10 minutes for a seat that was clearly open!

The only savor in this experience was Kate our server. Who has been serving Me and my friends for years, has been a great asset to this Restaurant since she started as a hostess, and I can guarantee we NEVER would have been treated like this if she still was the hostess. She promptly arrived at the table before we even sat completely and said, "I was told you guys have been waiting a long time, Im really sorry." I was relieved to be seated and have my favorite server.

My husband and I ordered the special Crab Cake Benedict, and the Black Stone Benedict. The crab cake Beni was basically gross..mushy crab cakes that werent cooked through and over hard poached eggs, with lacking in Hollandaise sauce.The Black Stone was alright besides again the hard poached eggs and I dont know what happen to their awesome hollandaise sauce, but there was barely any of it on the plate, and it had pretty much no flavor. Shocking really. At this point I didnt want to complain after my tension with hostess and manager. The whole experience left Me knowing for sure I will remain loyal to the Nevada City South Pine instead. I have managed, served and cooked in many Restaurants, and I am sad to say this place needs A LOT of TLC and training in the kitchen and on the floor.

2  Thank Rachelle D