“Average”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 29, 2010

To begin Ryan our waiter gave impeccable service. He went out of his way to take care of us.Very friendly and never stopped smiling.
Food was good presented well and appetizing.Also came in a timely manner . Salad with dinner was a little wilted,but bread was kept warm and replaced often.
This was my first visit and we walked right in to a table. Over all good experience.

Reviewed October 20, 2010

We went to Kane's to experience fine dining and great food, since the chef/owner was from San Francisco and supposedly good. Bad mistake. The food was terrible! Since the dining room is open to the kitchen frontage, I could hear the cook arguing with our waiter whether or not they would cook the salmon I ordered! The cooks here were not the chef, who was too busy talking with a local celebrity to watch what was happening with the food.
My salmon was served on a blackened plank that looked scary, like it had been used for years. I've had planked salmon but never on such an unappetizing and unsanitary-looking piece of wood. The asparagus was also served and cooked on the plank and was burned on the outside and not cooked on the inside and impossible to cut, as were the potatoes which were unedible. My spouse's pasta dish was awful with strange and hot spices, though the waiter had told us it was not spicy.
Bottom line: don't waste your money. There are other great restaurants in the area, so go there instead--New Moon, Friar Tuck's, even Leftie's are better and the same price! We won't be back nor will we recommend this restaurant to anybody.

3  Thank Luv2Bonthesea
Reviewed July 10, 2010

What happened to Kane's? Did they change owners this year (June 2010)? We used to come up to Grass Valley to have lunch. Their soups and lamb sandwiches were always excellent. However, something has changed . The last time we went the place was dirty and the food tasted like it came out of a can or package. The waitresses were rude and acted like the customers were imposing. The chef's were fighting and slamming food. One even picked up food that fell on the counter and put it back on the plate. It was awful. I wish we had never gone.

2  Thank very_brunhilda
Reviewed May 28, 2010

I'm a little confused as to the negative comments out here. I have been to Kane's quite a few times for lunch, dinner and just appetizers/drinks. I have never had a bad meal there. The staff isn't always what you'd expect from a more high-priced restaurant, but I've never had anyone be rude to me or had 'bad' service.

The meals are presented very nicely and as I said, I have yet to have anything brought to me that I didn't like (and I always order something different).

My only complaint, but it goes with any of the higher priced restaurants in this area, is the price for a glass of wine. Way too steep.

The ambiance is nice; whether it's cold outside and you sit where the fireplace is going, or if it's nice outside, and you sit out on the patio. Good food, fair service and a nice place to go for a special occasion.

Reviewed April 27, 2010

I took a family member to dinner at Kane's late April 2010 as a birthday treat: there were three of us and our experience was a very mixed bag. The staff is welcoming and the atmosphere quite nice (the patio with a gurgling fountain at the front is pleasant but we dined inside) so I'm confused by other reviews here. Dinner salads were fresh, the vinaigrette dressing quite nice, bread was excellent and replenished quickly. Main dishes: my seafood crepes were wonderful. The chicken and pasta very good. Both were around $17 (main & salad) so good marks for value and tastiness there. However, one of our party had a "special" which was $23 (price not mentioned by our waiter) for a dish I can only call a culinary mess. It was part Alfredo sauce, part pesto, with mixed seafood and -- it really didn't work. In fact, less than half was eaten (I tried a bite and didn't want a second!) They did bring a nice birthday sundae. Bottom line: ask what the most popular dishes are and stick to those and you'll enjoy your experience!