“Inconsistent” 3 of 5 bubbles

Kane's Family Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 105 Restaurants in Grass Valley
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Penn Valley, California
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Food is sometimes San Francisco quality and far from it at other times. Too inconsistent to be recommended.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank martind43California

Madrid, Spain
“Hit and Miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We've been here 3-4 times.Friends wanting to go. The first time for breakfast was great. Lunch was terrible - it took an hour & it wasn't crowded and it came out cold.
Dinner was noisy, overcrowded. Food was okay - not great.
Breakfast the next time was good. So maybe that's what they can do. I did learn that when the owner isn't there (and we were told he often isn't), it is bad. That seemed true to form.
It had such promise.

• Visited August 2010
1 Thank Adventurer2011
“Patio dining is the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

Food is great and prices reasonable. $10.00 and under lunch and no corkage fee on the first bottle of wine. The owners work real hard on keeping the locals coming back for more. Specials on Mon & Tues. Staff is always friendly. They are doing a great job and hope they are around for a long while.

• Visited June 2011
Grass Valley, California
“The best place in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

We went to Kane's last night for my birthday and had one of the best meals I have ever had. While they have a great happy hour and early bird dinner menu, we ordered off the regular dinner menu. My husband had the PetraleSole and I have one of the specials, a New York steak topped with bleu cheese, onions and peppers. Our dinners were fantastic, full of flavor and cooked perfectly (I like my steaks medium-rare and many restaurants seem to think that means no pink!) Our waitress, Jamie, was a delightful woman - - knew the menu well to make recommendations and attentive without being pushy. We never had to ask for anything. I don't drink and it seems that many restaurants will completely ignore you for refills of soda iif you don't drink alcohol. Not only was my steak 100 times better than Ruth's Chris, it was also probably half the price. We have bee there 4 or 5 times and have never been disappointed. I would recommend this to anyone for good food and good service!
Thanks for making my birthday one to remember!
Nancy McDonald

• Visited June 2011
San Francisco, CA
“This place has really gone downhill. Terrible meal... an outrage!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

When this restaurant opened my wife and I were very excited and went often. It was fantastic. Authentic red sauce, fresh ingredients, good portions -- excellent linguine & clams (white). Well they took the linguine clams off the menu which was a huge disappointment. But then things became very hit and miss. Some dishes were very good and other things were horrible. We were there during the holiday season and had some appetizers at the bar and recalling how good the veal parmesan was that my wife had ordered when the restaurant first opened, I went ahead and ordered it. Horror of horrors. There was no veal. It was more like breaded mush (NO VEAL) with some sauce and cheese. This was a special occasion and I didn't want to make a scene, embarrass my wife and send it back so I pushed it around the plate, ate the side dishes and bread. I was also reluctant to send it back because once I ordered a steak here (medium rare) and it came out beyond well done, so I'd sent it back and the chef send me out another -- almost raw. Exasperated, I pointed this out to the server who was shocked and took it back AGAIN. We were seated near the open kitchen and I could hear the chef giving him all kinds of grief. She had a TERRIBLE attitude. After that steak episode, I should have never gone back, but our options in Grass Valley are limited and sometimes Kanes turns out good meals, but after this miserable excuse for veal parmesan, I feel totally RIPPED OFF and will never set foot in that place again. Buyer Beware!

• Visited December 2010