“charming and authentic”
Review of Holbrooke Hotel

Holbrooke Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Reviewed April 7, 2007

We chose the Holbrook based on it's location in the center of town and it's historic background. After a lengthy conversation with a very friendly and helpful desk clerk, I chose a large room with balcony and Queen bed at the back of the hotel. We were completely satisfied with this room, especially since it had just snowed the night we arrived and the view from the balcony was magical. The hotel and room decor is very authentic. I felt like we had stepped back in time to the Gold Rush era. The front desk staff was very accommodating when we requested an upgrade to one of the large suites for our second night. This room was the Presidential Suite where 3 presidents, from that era, had stayed. The room was huge, with a bathroom as big as some hotel rooms! Overall we were very happy with the Holbrook. The only negative is that some of the hotel staff are not very well trained or helpful, but other staff members more than compensated. We will be going back to Grass Valley this year, and plan to stay at the Holbrook again, in the Presidential Suite of course!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Reviewed March 25, 2007

The Holbrooke is a great hotel - right in the middle of downtown Grass Valley. The hotel has a lot of character and the people are quite helpful. Our room was a standard room and had a very comfortable bed with quality linens and a down comforter, a desk and a small sitting area. The bathroom was a decent size and had a nice claw-foot tub. There were some quirky things about the hotel - the windows were drafty and the heat is controlled by the front desk, so you have to call down to have them adjust it - things like that. There is a bar downstairs with live music on Friday and Saturday evenings. Our room was right above the bar, so we heard the bar noise
and the music. It wasn't a problem since we were up late, but it could be for some. Definitely request a room away from the bar if noise bothers you.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed January 17, 2007

This hotel is just charming and also reasonably priced for even a suite with a fireplace. The food at the adjoining restaurant was absolute great. I took to my room and sipped wine by the fire. Pam at the front desk was very cordial and took very good care of me. I felt at home instantly and welcomed. I can't wait to go back!

Stayed: January 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed March 7, 2006

I was very impressed with the Holbrooke. The rooms and the staff are worth the stay. We were there for a wedding and had complete run of the hotel. Staying in #8, the bed was huge and very comfortable, the view was amazing, and I really can’t say enough about the bathroom. The clawfoot tub in our room was outstanding and both my boyfriend and I maneuvered easily in the space. With a group of over 40, the staff was very patient with us, especially when 20 of us strolled in drunk at 2 am demanding cabs to take up to IHop. Supposedly the hotel is haunted; we heard running in the hall, my boyfriends IPod froze but started working again when we got back into the bay area, our friends heard creaking in their room before they opened the door, the marriage license disappeared, a digital camera is still MIA, some makeup went missing, and a pair of socks moved from our suitcase to the top shelf in the closet. I would recommend this hotel for any special occasion. Thanks for all your help Brian!

• Stayed: February 2006
Reviewed February 27, 2006

My wife and I just had a GREAT overnight stay at the Holbrooke. We liked Grass Valley and all the wonderful shops. I think it is important to note that this hotel in vintage. It is like spending the night in an antique store. We stayed in the Mark Twain room. I think it is worth the extra $ to stay in a veranda room or better. The desk staff was A 1. The only down side was bad service (really bad) in the bar. When we ventured out we found excellent local eateries. I loved this place and would return again.

• Stayed: February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed November 30, 2005

My husband and I recently visited the Grass Valley and Nevada City area. We selected the Holbrooke Hotel based on the wonderful reviews I read in TripAdvisor. Our room was a standard queen room. It was dark as it looked out on to an inner corridor with a fire escape ladder. I had requested a bright room but was told that there were no bright standard rooms. In the middle of the night, we got another surprise. When a neighbor operated their faucets, it sounded like a rocket liftoff. The sound woke me up both in the middle of the night and also in the morning. I told the staff about the water noise in the morning and she said she’s never heard of that but will have someone look into it. Hopefully the problem is fixed.

Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 3, 2005

I had read all the reviews on The Holbrooke and decided to stay there for several nights for a workshop that I was attending. As a female travelling alone, I want hotels that I feel safe and comforable in. The location was in the historic main district and I was always able to find my way back as there were many signs posted for downtown throughout the town. The hotel itself also has alot of history as I saw Mark Twain and President Harrison plaques posted next to different rooms. The staff was also quite helpful and friendly.

The breakfast at the hotel was also a great convenience and a good variety of items. I would definitely suggest the Japanese Sushi restaurant across the street called Kaido (spelling). There is also a bistro at the hotel that was just okay-somewhat overpriced and food was mediocre in taste.

I would definitely recommend The Holbrooke Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
#2 of 5 in Nevada City
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#2 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Holbrooke Hotel? Share your experiences!