“Can't wait to return!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
Oakland
“Can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2007

This hotel is just charming and also reasonably priced for even a suite with a fireplace. The food at the adjoining restaurant was absolute great. I took to my room and sipped wine by the fire. Pam at the front desk was very cordial and took very good care of me. I felt at home instantly and welcomed. I can't wait to go back!

Stayed January 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2006

I was very impressed with the Holbrooke. The rooms and the staff are worth the stay. We were there for a wedding and had complete run of the hotel. Staying in #8, the bed was huge and very comfortable, the view was amazing, and I really can’t say enough about the bathroom. The clawfoot tub in our room was outstanding and both my boyfriend and I maneuvered easily in the space. With a group of over 40, the staff was very patient with us, especially when 20 of us strolled in drunk at 2 am demanding cabs to take up to IHop. Supposedly the hotel is haunted; we heard running in the hall, my boyfriends IPod froze but started working again when we got back into the bay area, our friends heard creaking in their room before they opened the door, the marriage license disappeared, a digital camera is still MIA, some makeup went missing, and a pair of socks moved from our suitcase to the top shelf in the closet. I would recommend this hotel for any special occasion. Thanks for all your help Brian!

• Stayed February 2006
Sparks, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2006

My wife and I just had a GREAT overnight stay at the Holbrooke. We liked Grass Valley and all the wonderful shops. I think it is important to note that this hotel in vintage. It is like spending the night in an antique store. We stayed in the Mark Twain room. I think it is worth the extra $ to stay in a veranda room or better. The desk staff was A 1. The only down side was bad service (really bad) in the bar. When we ventured out we found excellent local eateries. I loved this place and would return again.

• Stayed February 2006
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2005

My husband and I recently visited the Grass Valley and Nevada City area. We selected the Holbrooke Hotel based on the wonderful reviews I read in TripAdvisor. Our room was a standard queen room. It was dark as it looked out on to an inner corridor with a fire escape ladder. I had requested a bright room but was told that there were no bright standard rooms. In the middle of the night, we got another surprise. When a neighbor operated their faucets, it sounded like a rocket liftoff. The sound woke me up both in the middle of the night and also in the morning. I told the staff about the water noise in the morning and she said she’s never heard of that but will have someone look into it. Hopefully the problem is fixed.

Stayed October 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Grass Valley hotels

los angeles, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2005

I had read all the reviews on The Holbrooke and decided to stay there for several nights for a workshop that I was attending. As a female travelling alone, I want hotels that I feel safe and comforable in. The location was in the historic main district and I was always able to find my way back as there were many signs posted for downtown throughout the town. The hotel itself also has alot of history as I saw Mark Twain and President Harrison plaques posted next to different rooms. The staff was also quite helpful and friendly.

The breakfast at the hotel was also a great convenience and a good variety of items. I would definitely suggest the Japanese Sushi restaurant across the street called Kaido (spelling). There is also a bistro at the hotel that was just okay-somewhat overpriced and food was mediocre in taste.

I would definitely recommend The Holbrooke Hotel.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank Kanuja C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2005

My wife and I have visited the Holbrooke about 4 times in the last 2 years and we love it. Its a getaway from the kids. We almost always get a suite , well worth the money. The fireplace in each suite is either near or next to the bed, talk about romantic. We like to vist the Mainstreet Bar accross the street for some drinks, walk down abit and vist "The Owl" for dinner or just have dinner in the Bistro located in the Holbrooke. Bring something to drink and just hangout on the balcony overlooking the mainstreet. Pretty cool. Call 2-4 weeks for reservations as the Holbrooke hosts many wedding partys.

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Berkeley, Ca.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2005

My family just spent a very pleasant night at the Holbrooke. We had room 7, with a huge, comfortable king bed and an added rollaway for my young daughter. We paid just a hair over $100 (a AAA rate?), which was very fair. It even had a clawfoot bathtub.

The Holbrooke's (named) rooms are on the second floor (there's a lovely old elevator) of the only real hotel in historic Downtown Grass Valley. It's a good place for seeing the Gold Country, and something like 10 minutes' drive from very pretty Nevada City. We were afraid that the room would be noisy--since there was some kind of event in the restaurant--but the right was suitably quiet and dark.

The decoration of the room was a bit funny, since part of the room was floral wallpaper and part of it was exposed brick. A couple of other quirks--you have to lock a deadbolt to lock the room and the hotel controls the thermostat, each of which covers several rooms (the temperature was fine). But problems were minor--we liked the place a lot.

• Stayed January 2005
The Historic American River Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#3 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Holbrooke Hotel? Share your experiences!