“Love this Hotel”

Holbrooke Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
“Love this Hotel”
Reviewed February 28, 2005

My wife and I have visited the Holbrooke about 4 times in the last 2 years and we love it. Its a getaway from the kids. We almost always get a suite , well worth the money. The fireplace in each suite is either near or next to the bed, talk about romantic. We like to vist the Mainstreet Bar accross the street for some drinks, walk down abit and vist "The Owl" for dinner or just have dinner in the Bistro located in the Holbrooke. Bring something to drink and just hangout on the balcony overlooking the mainstreet. Pretty cool. Call 2-4 weeks for reservations as the Holbrooke hosts many wedding partys.

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Berkeley, Ca.
Reviewed January 16, 2005

My family just spent a very pleasant night at the Holbrooke. We had room 7, with a huge, comfortable king bed and an added rollaway for my young daughter. We paid just a hair over $100 (a AAA rate?), which was very fair. It even had a clawfoot bathtub.

The Holbrooke's (named) rooms are on the second floor (there's a lovely old elevator) of the only real hotel in historic Downtown Grass Valley. It's a good place for seeing the Gold Country, and something like 10 minutes' drive from very pretty Nevada City. We were afraid that the room would be noisy--since there was some kind of event in the restaurant--but the right was suitably quiet and dark.

The decoration of the room was a bit funny, since part of the room was floral wallpaper and part of it was exposed brick. A couple of other quirks--you have to lock a deadbolt to lock the room and the hotel controls the thermostat, each of which covers several rooms (the temperature was fine). But problems were minor--we liked the place a lot.

• Stayed January 2005
2 Thank wanderer
Reviewed November 23, 2004

Stayed 11/2004 - Room 14 has a huge king bed and also a trundle daybed, roomy and warm with a comfortable bathroom. It has a balcony with a table and chairs for smoking that looks over the patio below. Wonderful room. Room 3 has the softest bed in town! Cozy and the bathroom is HUGE. This is an amazing Hotel right in the heart of Downtown and literally only steps away from everything. We felt right at home and the staff was great. Stay nowhere else in GV. Check out the history of this building and the town as well.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 23, 2004

I stayed at the Holbrooke Hotel approximately back around 1977/1978...when it was called; "Purcell House"...& I loved it. I was there in my early 20's,with my boyfriend of 7yrs, & some friends. We had a great time. I loved how the rooms were connected-sharing the bathroom at that time, wasn't bad. Also, I thought it was cool how some of the bedrooms opened with the same door key...ofcourse back then you didn't have to really worry about people stealing things from your room. I remember waking up to look out the window to find an antique crafts fair going on outside...I thought that was the greatest...& the shops are very nice. I had a great time! Infact,what brought me to look you up now, is that I came across your business card in an old envelope, that I had apparently saved, I liked it so much! Thank you, Elena Small.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CA
Reviewed June 19, 2004

I've stayed at the Holbrooke before we moved to this town, and had many friends who have stayed there. The Holbrooke has a wonderful bar, steeped in Victorian ambiance. It's so friendly we take the kids there for a light dinner. The restaurant has the best patio dining in the area and the food is probably the best in town. The rooms have become a bit tired, although new management is planning to remedy that. The hotel is in a terrific old downtown area with unique shops and antique stores. If you stay there be certain to ask for a room in the back away from the street. If nothing ever wakes you then you'll prefer the front with it's street activity. This is a small town, people are heading off to bed by 9pm. The noise is from tourists!

2 Thank MBMfamily
#3 of 5 in Nevada City
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#2 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Holbrooke Hotel? Share your experiences!