Holbrooke Hotel
Gold Miners Inn(Grass Valley)
$159
AscendHotels
$90
Sierra Mountain Inn(Grass Valley)
$120
$98
$86
$180
Hotwire.com
Coach N Four Motel(Grass Valley)
$80
TripAdvisor
Nevada City Inn(Nevada City)
$80
$78
All reviewsmark twainlive musicclawfoot tubgold rush historyhigh speed internetgreat historical hotelwafflespresidentcalifornia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Place is old and unkempt. Breakfast was a few cold muffins that even a grocery store would not sell. When I asked for a map and directions to Lake Tahoe (an hour away) they were stumped. It was 100 degrees outside and we had to ask them to turn the air on.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank JANET B
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I loved the Holbrooke. It was rustic and very charming. I loved the clawfoot bathtub, the antique furnishings, and the super soft and comfy bed! The staff was helpful, the breakfast was decent, and I wish I could have been there longer. Since I was only in town for a late afternoon wedding and left the next morning, I didn't get a chance to have lunch or dinner there. I felt very comfortable, much more so than the "modern" hotels. It was a bit warm, and if you can't live without air conditioning, this isn't the place for you. If I am ever in the area, I would love to go back to the Holbrooke. . The hotel was in a great location, with ample parking.I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 11.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank gingerbeeSonoma
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The staff was really helpful, great food, music in the bar was excellent and no cove charge. Hotel room was like going back in time yet we sill had wi-fi. free breakfast very good. neat old elevator works great. I will be coming back for sure.

Room Tip: Room in annex building are quieter!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Isaac G
Reviewed May 6, 2013

If you are into antiques you will really like this place. All the elements of a grand 19th century hotel are preserved. It has a great bar and restaurant and there was live music the night we stayed there. The rooms are named after famous people who stayed in the room. We slept in the Lotta Crabtree room. Other rooms were named for Mark Twain, Bret Harte, Black Bart Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison James Garfield, Gentleman Jim Corbett and other less well known notables. Our room was clean and retained the charm of the Victorian plumbing including some solid brass fixtures. The toilet was very large and was of a style I had never seen before. The room was clean and the bed was cute and quite comfortable. It was quiet and we slept very well. The Holbrooke is very old and so there were some things that one must accept to stay in a piece of history but think of them as a patina like your great grandparents house. The minor defects are a result of the 150 years there. Once you do that the stay becomes comfortable like an old boot that fits perfectly. The staff was friendly and knew a lot of the history of the hotel. The breakfast was adequate with fruit, coffee, yogurt, cereal and various breads and juices. The hotel was so nice we had lunch in the bar and it was excellent. The hotel's elevator is still out of commission. I would like to ride on it one day as it is about the oldest elevator I have ever seen. The Holbrooke is an excellent place to stay while exploring the old heart of Grass Valley which has preserved it's 19th century buildings. There is adequate parking in the back of the hotel though it is a little bit hard to find after dark. The patio was nice but it was still on the cool side for patio life but this one would be really nice in warmer weather. We will go back for sure as we loved it. So many hotels are competent but 2 weeks later you can hardly remember them but the Holbrooke is not soon forgotten...

This was one we blundered into when the Trip Advisor pick did not answer it's phone. We would definitely come back to this hotel as it was the most memorable hotel on a very long road trip. How often do you get to stay in a hotel with this much history? Very charming and fun place.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms are available when you call for a reservation. I would chose the Carlotta Crabtree room again or maybe the Mark Twain room because his ghost might be lurking.... There has to be a ghost or two here somewhere. Get here early in the evening and have dinner in the bar and experience the live music.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank james K
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stopped in at the Holbrooke Hotel bar a few years back and decided we’d like to stay someday. On our way to Tahoe recently we were able to stay a night. Check in was easy and they have plenty of parking in the back. We were disappointed to find out that the original elevator was broken. As we headed up the stairs to our room it didn’t seem the same as we had remembered. Our room was a bit neglected with broken tiles in the bathroom, a sink drain that barely drained, light that didn’t work and strange-colored wall paint. But it was nice having a room in a hotel as historic as the Holbrooke that had a private bath. Many famous Gold Country characters have stayed at the Holbrooke in the early days including U.S. Presidents. We had an early dinner in the bar and enjoyed some exceptional burgers – If we’ve ever had better we don’t know where. Our experience with the staff was friendly and attentive. Later that evening there was a group of musicians performing traditional Celtic songs in the parlor. It was a very casual session and we were invited to participate where we could. We were there on a Sunday night and can’t imagine staying a Friday or Saturday due to the noise we could hear from the hall through the night. We didn’t dine in their restaurant but are sure it’s excellent judging from our experience with the bar fare. In the morning we headed next door to Tofanelli’s for breakfast based on consumer reviews we found online. Tofanelli’s is a great restaurant with a cozy bar and outdoor garden patio. We heard through the grapevine that the Holbrooke has encountered a few ownership changes in recent years and has suffered from it. The owner was non-existent and ‘his wife’, as she was referred to as by the staff, was indifferent to guests. We can only hope that the new owners can refurbish the Holbrooke to the glory she deserves. The Holbrooke is a unique Gold Country experience that we will continue to visit for a meal and drinks.

Room Tip: Be sure to take a ride on their historic elevator if it's operational.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family