“wow what a great experienc”
Review of Holbrooke Hotel

Holbrooke Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
San Francisco, California
“wow what a great experienc”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The staff was really helpful, great food, music in the bar was excellent and no cove charge. Hotel room was like going back in time yet we sill had wi-fi. free breakfast very good. neat old elevator works great. I will be coming back for sure.

Room Tip: Room in annex building are quieter!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Isaac G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 6, 2013

If you are into antiques you will really like this place. All the elements of a grand 19th century hotel are preserved. It has a great bar and restaurant and there was live music the night we stayed there. The rooms are named after famous people who stayed in the room. We slept in the Lotta Crabtree room. Other rooms were named for Mark Twain, Bret Harte, Black Bart Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison James Garfield, Gentleman Jim Corbett and other less well known notables. Our room was clean and retained the charm of the Victorian plumbing including some solid brass fixtures. The toilet was very large and was of a style I had never seen before. The room was clean and the bed was cute and quite comfortable. It was quiet and we slept very well. The Holbrooke is very old and so there were some things that one must accept to stay in a piece of history but think of them as a patina like your great grandparents house. The minor defects are a result of the 150 years there. Once you do that the stay becomes comfortable like an old boot that fits perfectly. The staff was friendly and knew a lot of the history of the hotel. The breakfast was adequate with fruit, coffee, yogurt, cereal and various breads and juices. The hotel was so nice we had lunch in the bar and it was excellent. The hotel's elevator is still out of commission. I would like to ride on it one day as it is about the oldest elevator I have ever seen. The Holbrooke is an excellent place to stay while exploring the old heart of Grass Valley which has preserved it's 19th century buildings. There is adequate parking in the back of the hotel though it is a little bit hard to find after dark. The patio was nice but it was still on the cool side for patio life but this one would be really nice in warmer weather. We will go back for sure as we loved it. So many hotels are competent but 2 weeks later you can hardly remember them but the Holbrooke is not soon forgotten...

This was one we blundered into when the Trip Advisor pick did not answer it's phone. We would definitely come back to this hotel as it was the most memorable hotel on a very long road trip. How often do you get to stay in a hotel with this much history? Very charming and fun place.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms are available when you call for a reservation. I would chose the Carlotta Crabtree r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank james K
Mission Viejo, CA
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stopped in at the Holbrooke Hotel bar a few years back and decided we’d like to stay someday. On our way to Tahoe recently we were able to stay a night. Check in was easy and they have plenty of parking in the back. We were disappointed to find out that the original elevator was broken. As we headed up the stairs to our room it didn’t seem the same as we had remembered. Our room was a bit neglected with broken tiles in the bathroom, a sink drain that barely drained, light that didn’t work and strange-colored wall paint. But it was nice having a room in a hotel as historic as the Holbrooke that had a private bath. Many famous Gold Country characters have stayed at the Holbrooke in the early days including U.S. Presidents. We had an early dinner in the bar and enjoyed some exceptional burgers – If we’ve ever had better we don’t know where. Our experience with the staff was friendly and attentive. Later that evening there was a group of musicians performing traditional Celtic songs in the parlor. It was a very casual session and we were invited to participate where we could. We were there on a Sunday night and can’t imagine staying a Friday or Saturday due to the noise we could hear from the hall through the night. We didn’t dine in their restaurant but are sure it’s excellent judging from our experience with the bar fare. In the morning we headed next door to Tofanelli’s for breakfast based on consumer reviews we found online. Tofanelli’s is a great restaurant with a cozy bar and outdoor garden patio. We heard through the grapevine that the Holbrooke has encountered a few ownership changes in recent years and has suffered from it. The owner was non-existent and ‘his wife’, as she was referred to as by the staff, was indifferent to guests. We can only hope that the new owners can refurbish the Holbrooke to the glory she deserves. The Holbrooke is a unique Gold Country experience that we will continue to visit for a meal and drinks.

Room Tip: Be sure to take a ride on their historic elevator if it's operational.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Nevada City, California
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I am a local and have not stayed in any of the rooms at the hotel. I did have a tour one time and was not impressed, so have never stayed and have not really needed to since I live locally. I do frequent the Taco Tuesdays at the bar though, 2 for $3! Great steak tacos! They are usually really busy on this night as it is also open mic night so be prepared to work on your patience skills!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Oh where do I begin? We checked in on St Pattys day afternoon. The hotel was festive....decorated in green streamers,Celtic music playing in the parlor. We have stayed in older hotels before so we tried to plan for the noisy locals.....the desk clerk assured us that EVERYTHING shuts down at ten pm. Reasonable....we headed to dinner. 10 pm and the "party" moved outside...there was nary a soul at the bar when we headed upstairs at 9:30. The courtyard was recently remodeled(we were told) so the chain smoking beer swilling locals brought their BIG dog, musical instruments and played(poorly) and laughed loudly...my left eye is twitching as I write this from interrupted slumber...
We called the front desk THREE times to say that we are not jerks but could the VIOLIN screeching please please stop...it did for a bit then the local guy picked up his guitar singing about how he HAS to find a job and a place to live first thing tomorrow morning....a woman cheered him on...I called the front desk again....sigh.....the desk clerk said that while the persons in question were not guests of the hotel she couldn't ask them to stop chatting loudly...thank goodness the Owner was on the premises I watched through the window as he shushed everyone..I was impressed because he did this TWICE!!! Great guy.

The patio remodel IS pretty cute....here is my tip- ask to book your room AWAY from the patio side....which also backs up to an alley....loud noises all night long from local people that might not have jobs to wake up to???

The front desk clerk explained that it was a "holiday" I liken St Pats to Valentines Day not a real holiday but an occasion.....

The hotel itself has that rustic Wild Western feel.....the staff is really nice. It is an "experience" that is the only word I could think of....Grover Cleveland AND Benjamin Harrison have stayed here at some point....worth seeing.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank missmanners45

Travelers are raving about these Grass Valley hotels

Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have 6 complaints against this establishment.

1. The check in was and should have been my first clue. The attendant was attentive to all but me. She made sure that she waited on everyone in the lobby and answered all calls before checking me in.
2. I went to the bar and had a glass of wine. The bartender promptly left me and 3 others unattended. When it came time to settle up he was nowhere to be found. I waited 15 minutes and finally had to tell another patron to please tell him my room number so he could charge me for the wine.
3. I noticed a 16" round urine stain on the cover sheet. It was late and I decided to remove it from the bed.
4.They had a huge party in the hotel that night. It was very noisy and I could not sleep because of it.
5. I complained to management about the above the very next day at check out. she responded that she would take care of it and give me a call with the decision. NO call.... No surprise as the foundation was laid above as to how this company takes care of business.
6. I called the next day and talked with the manager and explained to him my 5 grievances. He responded to me that he would get on the situation and get back to me. He did. They gave me back $12.

I am going to close by saying that I have never in my life taken the time to complain. It takes time that I am usually not willing to dedicate. I thought the errors where to great to ignore. Its a shame because it is a nice place. The entire work force is a sham. In that situation the only person to blame is the owner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank David G
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 10, 2012

After reading all the glowing reviews here, I was excited to give it a try....oops, cannot figure out how anyone that has ever been to a "Good historical hotel" could possibly call this place charming.

We reserved a "Patio king suite"...when we arrived aroound 2:00 pm, we were greeted by a very nice women, gave us keys and directions to the room, which was in the back of the hotel over looking the patio dinning, a huge tree over that area very pretty but makes the room very dark and tunnel like, a messey unatractive daybed in the corner,very small room, mismatched furniture,..not a good first impression...called the front desk, the lady was very pleasant about it and offered a room in the front. Opening the door to the Mark Twain Suite, it was much bigger and very bright, but that is where the good news stops. Aging, mismatched flea market furniture, including a cheesey brass bed from the 1970's, a VERY hard miserable mattress, would have tried the carpeted floor if it had not been covered in very dirty green carpet, that reminded me of mini golf..Out to the "Patio" filthy floor old food and drink spils no plants/decor...Yikes! Broken cheap mini blinds on the windows...the bathroom has original floor tile, with monogram..nice, but the claw foot tub...yuk! In poor repair, the "claw feet" rusted and filthy looking, old dirty looking rubbber mat in the tub! No where to set anything, there was a little bench but they had the towles stacked on it instead of hanging them and leaving that free for guests, travel things. The tub was leaking a steady stream and the toilet also in disrepair, very noisey, kept running and filling up, kept us awake...tried everything, told they about it in the AM..got a big giggle, they thought it was funny. Went to the bar for a cocktail, bartender looks up , then back to his friends at the end of the bar and finished his conversaation, when he did come down for our order, not a word out of him NO smile, just stood there looking at us...very wierd, like escapee from the Adams Family? On to dinner...by far the best part of our stay! Delicious steak and salad, very sweet waitress. This place has such potential, it is terrible that it is not put together as it should be.

Room Tip: My tip...stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Best Western Golden Key
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#2 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Holbrooke Hotel? Share your experiences!