Holbrooke Hotel
Gold Miners Inn(Grass Valley)
$159
AscendHotels
$130
Hotels.com
Sierra Mountain Inn(Grass Valley)
$120
$76
$165
Holiday Lodge(Grass Valley)
$89
Coach N Four Motel(Grass Valley)
$80
Stagecoach Motel(Grass Valley)
$115
$86
Nevada City Inn(Nevada City)
$65
$63
Travelocity
All reviewsmark twainlive musicclawfoot tubgold rush historyhigh speed internetgreat historical hotelwafflespresidentcalifornia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband stayed at the Holbrooke Hotel in Grass Valley last Friday night. We were attending a production of "Assassins" by the Sierra Center Stage and thought that staying over night was a better option than making the long drive home. So glad we did. The Holbrooke is a wonderful little find. Without a doubt it is an old hotel with loads of history. We stayed in the Benjamin Harrison room, a king veranda. The room was very large with a sitting deck that overlooked their outside dining patio. It was clean, but smelled a bit musty, however not offensively. The bathroom as a claw-foot tub. The elevator was broken which was not an issue since our room was up one flight of stairs. Continental breakfast is included. The hotel's bar is entertainment in itself and seems to be a gathering place for the locals. If you are expecting 5-star with modern/updated decor and features, then this is not the place for you. It is completely charming, the service from the front desk to the barkeep were fantastic, it is located in the heart of town with many antique, winetasting, unique shops, and a great array of restaurants within walking distance. I suggest you get there early in the afternoon, park the car, check-in, and take the time to take in the local charm that is a wonderful history lesson.

Room Tip: It is worth the extra money to get a room with a veranda/deck.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2012

A lovely old hotel, rooms named after past visitors, our room had a lovely king-sized bed in a wrought iron frame, with plenty of pillows, a nice-sized closet with doors in the room, with a TV with all of the channels, desk, free WI Fii, coffee, decent lighting, huge bathroom with a claw-footed bathtub complete with a shower fixture, plenty of towels, soap, shampoo and extra bathroom amenities.
Great Continental Breakfast, including bagels, English muffins, with a toaster and bagel splitter, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese and creamed cheese, both in bowls to be dipped out with a fork or spoon, waffle batter, and waffle maker, with sealed tubs of waffle syrup, butter, hot water, selection of tea bags, hot chocolate, and cider mix, along with coffee, milk provided.
Only warning: Make sure the customers can climb into the claw-footed tub.

Room Tip: Be prepared to climb stairs, not too steep. I asked, and found out they do have rooms without the ancient bathtub, which might be a problem for seniors. There is a great Saloon on the bottom floor, if you are interested, with live music most nights. classic old rock-n-roll type, not too loud. Food is good, especially the pub food. Check it out!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary M
Reviewed October 10, 2012

After attending a jazz and dinner at one of the local wineries we decided rather than to drive home it would be wiser to stay "in town" at one of the hotels. Since we weren't ready to go to our room we hung out a bit in the very happening bar where an awesome female singer was playing the keyboard and wailing out great songs. The accompanying brass players were terrific also. But you are reading this to find out about the hotel, aren't you?
The hotel is located on the main drag. The rooms in the main building are large and very nice. The bathrooms are pretty cool too. (We know this because the day after we stayed here we asked if we could take a peek at a few of the rooms in the main building.) If you stay in the front of the hotel it might be a little noisy on the weekends where there is quite a bit of action on the street below and in the hotel's bar. We stayed in the building in the back of the hotel. Our room was nice, not quite as nice as the rooms in the hotel, but it was very quiet. We enjoyed a continental breakfast that was included in the price of the hotel. If the weather is nice you can sit outside in the patio. Lunch and dinner are good here. The staff is very welcoming, from Chris in reception to Monte in the bar. This is a fun place to stay since it is a historic property. Presidents James Garfield, Ulysses S. Grant, and Benjamin Harrison and Mark Twain are a few of the well known people who slept here. You can see quite a few artifacts from earlier times when this town was really hopping. While we don't always stay overnight in Grass Valley, we always do make a stop at the Holbrooke. We like the hotel, the ambiance, the friendly bar, the welcoming staff, the cool town, and the town's proximity to local wineries and to the Lake Tahoe area. It's all good!

Room Tip: If you want to go to bed early and/or are there on a weekend ask for a quieter room either on the sides of the hotel or in the back building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BluEmu1
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel was fabulous - everything I'd imagined and more. Along with all of the historic significance of the Gold Rush era, the place is really lots of fun. My sweetie and I were in town for the Celtic Festival and opted to splurge for two nights in a hotel rather than camping out at the fairgrounds. When I saw that Mark Twain had actually stayed there, along with two U.S. Presidents, I couldn't resist. We arrived after midnight, and Mike was there to settle us into our room, even though someone had forgotten to put our reservation into their book. Our room was spacious and actually upgraded from the Queen-size we had reserved to a King-size, with a lovely huge old-style tiled bathroom and claw foot tub/shower combo. The toilet was a period piece - would love to have one at home! The ceiling fan was heavenly, though it went out when we turned out the light. We felt pampered and on holiday... the fact that the hotel was so old... with all the authentic creaky floors and old individual locking doors was charming. Over all, the room was wonderful, at the end of the hall with easy access to the back stairs outside to the picturesque smoking area for my sweetie. We enjoyed a drink at the saloon downstairs, as well as an evening of live bluegrass music from the attached lounge where we had dinner. When we had an emergency late on Friday night (my brother who lives locally had his truck stolen from a parking lot several blocks away) the hotel staff was courteous and helpful in calling the police. I loved this place, and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Our upstairs back corner room was large and quiet for the most part, but some people might not like the fact that it is over the kitchen, and thus a bit more noisy than some.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tsduff
Reviewed September 24, 2012

It had been many years (about 20) since I visited the Gold Rush town of Grass Valley, but I recently made an all-too-brief overnight stop there. In past years when touring this part of California's "Gold Country" I had stayed at the National Hotel in Nevada City, but after reading some of the recent reviews on Tripadvisor I decided that things had changed with the National since I stayed there 20 years ago and opted for Grass Valley's Holbrooke Hotel. I am pleased to report that I made a wise choice. What a wonderful old, historic hotel this is! Beautifully appointed with a great staff and owner, I found the Holbrooke to be just what a historic hotel and California Historical Landmark should be. A great saloon with an original (well "almost" original after the various fires that marred the city during its heyday) back bar. They say that it is the oldest continuously operating saloon west of the Mississippi. With its nicely restored rooms, this hotel (built originally in 1851) is a wonderful addition to the many historic hotels that dot California's "Gold Country" just off of Highway 49. It has played host to many notables over the years including Lola Montez and several U.S. Presidents.

Seems to have a good restaurant too, although my stomach operation precludes me from having large meals I tried their Tempura Vegetable Platter. It was excellent but HUGE for my shrunken stomach. They kindly kept it on ice for me in the kitchen and the next day put it in a “Doggie Box” so I could take it home with me. I had several more meals out of it! The dining room is nice and it also has an outdoor patio in the back which is a very pleasant place to sip a glass of wine or have a meal on the many warm days that characterize the Sierra foothills during the summer months.

I learned from chatting with Ian, the owner of the hotel that my room (#9) is the hotel’s most “haunted” room, but I had no problems and if there is a ghost, it’s one of the “good” ones. I thought the room was excellent. Purists may object to the television, but it’s neatly hidden in an old commode so you can just close the doors of the commode and not see the TV at all. The bathroom has a claw foot tub equipped with a shower and wraparound curtain. Since there is no place to put the soap and no bars to hang on to I opted for the tub.

Although a bit pricier than some of the other hotels I’ve stayed at, I certainly highly recommend your trying out this one!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo