Holbrooke Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Great 4.5/5
Gold Miners Inn(Grass Valley)
Very Good 4/5
Sierra Mountain Inn(Grass Valley)
Great 4.5/5
Stagecoach Motel(Grass Valley)
View Hotel
Coach N Four Motel(Grass Valley)
Holiday Lodge(Grass Valley)
Good 3.5/5
Nevada City Inn(Nevada City)
Average 3/5
Northern Queen Inn(Nevada City)
Average 3/5
View Hotel
All reviewsmark twainlive musicclawfoot tubgold rush historyhigh speed internetgreat historical hotelwafflespresidentcalifornia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 25, 2007

My husband, son and I had Christmas dinner tonight at the Holbrook Hotel. It was awful. We should have left when we saw the cheap chairs and tables. (We had Christmas dinner 20 years ago when the furnishings were elegant.)

We began with shrimp cocktail - they had run out of asparagus...the other appetizer offered...the shrimp were smashed and smothered with sauce. The butternut squash soup was too sweet...whipping cream? None of us could finish the cup. My son's pork loin was very dry - he is in the restaurant business and cooks - as was my salmon. My husband's pot roast was tough and stringy. The desserts had changed from what was on the menu. My pumpkin pie was the worst I have ever tasted. Where they got it is anybody's guess. Safeway would have been better! Who was cooking in the kitchen? Even our server sensed our miscontent as she avoided us. Terrible food, poor service and the ambiance did not reflect on the history of such a grand place. (We had a delightful lunch on the patio last June, so this was a great disappointment!)

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank MackieFairOaks
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Spent 3 days in Grass Valley at the Holbrooke. We had the Mark Twain room. It has a large balcony overlooking Main Street. Too bad it was raining but I can see the potential during a nice day or warm evening.

The staff are kind and helpful. Since there are no individual heat/cold air controls for the rooms, the front desk person will come up to your room and set the temperature for a block of 3 rooms. It's just the way the old heating system is set up. However, the room heated up quickly.

Water pressure for the shower was weak, but not something to get grumpy about.

The hotel is centrally located in Grass Valley. Many stores and restaurants within walking distance. Never had to drive while in Grass Valley.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I was there for only one night on business and, frankly, my business was with the Hotel Manager, so I expected great service and comfortable rooms. Like I said, I know this guy and my expectations were high and, yet, they were exceeded. The facility exudes history. Birdcage elevator, artwork, display pieces and a genuine 1880s feel everywhere except in the attention to comfort (which I am sure could not be matched nearing the turn of the century). Turndown service included chilled chocolate covered strawberries. Triple linens that you don’t see in Hiltons. My room was huge, with grand bath that included free standing bear claw tub with copper fixture shower and tub screen/enclosure fronting the street with a grand veranda from which I drank coffee, read the local paper and watched the sun light up the morning sky. Easy access Wi-Fi High Speed Internet fed my need to be attached to the real world. I didn’t eat in the Hotel, but I had a great glass of Merlot at the bar, where a couple ordered hamburgers for lunch whose aroma alone caught my attention. I will certainly return, with my wife and for a much longer stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 30, 2007

Wow! What a place to experiance. If you are a history buff, this is the place to be. From the moment we stepped into the hotel, we were thrown back in time. It has a very interesting past and the hotel does an excellent job in teaching you of that past. We stayed in Room 14 where U.S. Presidents Benjamin Harrison and Grover Clevland stayed. The room was great. It had a private bath, a balcony that overlooked the back courtyard, and a nice, big king bed that was even better than my bed at home. The staff was unbelievable. Every night they delivered chocolate dipped strawberries to our room and even turned down our bed. I don't think the Holiday Express does that! We also got the daily paper delivered to us each morning. The saloon downstairs can get hopping at night with music and the food is great. It is a great meeting place to gather with other guests of the hotel. The hotel is located in downtown Grass Valley and is in walking distance to all of the shops. My husband and I went up to Grass Valley to celebrate my grandfather's 90th birthday, and we were going to stay at the new Holiday Express with my parents, but wanted to save some money. What a great decision we made to stay at the Holbrooke. It was cheap, clean, and the staff was amazing. If you are looking for a unique place to stay and want to learn a little history, then the Holbrooke is for you. Don't let the age of it scare you, it is kept up very well and one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at.

Tina D
Huntington Beach, CA

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Coroanus
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at the Holbrooke! My husband and I have been going for years and we have always loved it! We always get a room with a back balcony. We love to sit and see the twinkly lights and trees. We also enjoy the big trees and never want to really leave our hotel room. Grass valley does offer a variety of shops and historic venues along with the arts. Planning to be there always thrills me and I look forward to going again. It is good just to have a
a relaxing time; the restaurant is top drawer and the staff very accomodating.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple