“eclectic food and atmosphere”
Review of Diego's Restaurant

Diego's Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 107 Restaurants in Grass Valley
Cuisines: Chilean, Latin, South American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Since 2002, Diegos has connected cultures and community through an escape into the Latin flavors of the Lower Americas, where our recipes are prepared daily in their traditional style. From the warm, house-made bread rolls and fresh crepes to our decadent desserts and fantastico weekend specials, we consciously source natural ingredients that are friendly to the environment. This includes free-range, grass fed, sustainably raised proteins and local organic produce. By operating with love, gratitude and a professional personal touch, we enjoy providing a colorful, comfortable setting where our guests are able to create and share memorable experiences together.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stopped by on a whim late one Sunday afternoon and only one in the place. The waiter was great and recommended a couple of specials. I had the pulled pork sandwich with homemade chipolte peach bbq sauce. It was terrific as well as the homemade bread it was served on. As one of my quests was an artist they loved the different pieces on the walls, in the bathroom, and embedded in the sidewalk.
A delightful surprise and will go back again onmour next visit.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I gave this place a good review back in October, 2012, but wanted to update my comments based upon more recent experiences. We took guests here a couple of times this past summer. Some of our visits were delightful: good food, nice ambiance on the patio, and attentive service. However, there was one waitress there who is very unprofessional, and if you are unlucky enough to dine there when she is working, it can ruin your evening. She is overly familar with guests, making unwelcomed jokes about their appearance, and laughing off her lack of attention to their needs. She won't make eye contact after she's taken your order and before your food arrives, so if you need anything while you are waiting (another round of drinks, more water, etc) you either have to tackle her on her way through the dining area, or appeal to another member of the waitstaff. Sometimes whe will sit down at your table with you while she is taking your order. One of my favorite menu items is the grilled-to-order lamb. She neglected to ask me how I wanted the meat prepared, and when I realized this, I followed her back through the dining area to make sure that I could get the meat medium rare. When I asked her to make a note of my request, she at first sloughed it off, saying "Oh, they always do a good job on the meat." I prevailed upon her to make a note on the order before submitting it to the kitchen. She wrote something on the order slip. Not sure what she wrote, but when the meals came out, my lamb was well done. She took it back, and so the rest of our group enjoyed their meals while I waited for mine. At the end of the meal, she attempted to recover by offering us a gift certificate for our next visit. The "gift certificate" was a greasy, well-worn $5 off coupon. I should note that $5 off coupons for this restaurant are readily available in town, either in one of the tourist publications or on the back of Safeway grocery receipts. So this wasn't exactly a "gift certificate" she was offering and it could well have been a coupon already proffered be another diner that same evening. We've avoided Diego's ever since. Hoping the next time we do venture in there, this particular waitress will be gone.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

The fish smelled and tasted like fish, yuk......Service was VERY slow and the place was NOT busy! The owner seemed very nice

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were visiting my sister in America in December this year and were on our way to a Victorian Fayre in Grass Valley when we stopped at Diego's. None of our family had eaten there before but decided to give it a try. We are SO glad we did!
The inside is small, but lovely and cosy with low lighting. It was snowing outside and there were blankets to use which my sister and I helped ourselves to.
The waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and gave us great tips on what to order. All of us had the homemade soup to start which was lovely. We all chose different dishes for our main and all of them were absolutely delicious and unusual. We hadn't eaten Chilean food before but after the experience we had we would certainly love to try it again.
The cups for the soup and glasses on the table were all different and quite an eclectic mix. After speaking to the son of the restaurant he generously gave my dad a Cowboy boot beer glass which he had been admiring.

Thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will certainly return on our next trip.

We were there with 6 adults and my 6 week old Niece, we had reserved a table. I would advise larger parties to reserve as it is quite small.

Thank you so such a delicious dinner Diego's!!

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Diegos Restaurant's food is excellent! Our hostess, Samantha, demonstrated the right amount of attention to our table. This is without a doubt one ofour all time favorite places to grab dinner.