“Historic. Great exhibits”

Empire Mine State Historic Park
More attraction details
Owner description: The remains of one of the West's most lucrative gold mines have been preserved as a historic park.
Reviewed August 16, 2011

It's a great historic place to learn about gold mining in the Victorian era. They have seasonal events which are fun.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We had two children with us and even they were entertained. The grounds and architecture is absolutely gorgeous. It is immpecably maintained, clean, and the design is remarkable. The mines are unbelievable. They go on for miles. My friends said that you have to watch for sink holes on your property (she lives in Nevada City) because the mines run for miles and miles underneath the towns. They have a model of it on display and it truly is unbelievable. This is a MUST SEE!! I am a huge Disney fan and I must say Disney has nothing like this! This is imagineering at its best.

2  Thank ahwahneetink
Reviewed August 10, 2011

After staying overnight in Grass Valley, we found a traveler's guide with information on the Empire Mine. I am so glad we did and decided to visit. First we grabbed some sandwiches from a local deli, then we headed to the mine which is a five minute drive from the center of town. On our way there, we drove next to a tall rock wall and I wondered who lived behind it. Well, you get to see what's hidden as the owner of the mine lived there and you can tour the house and the gardens in addition to the mine. There is a small fee to enter the park and they only take cash or check so be prepared. The entrance to the park houses several displays showing mining tools and information in the area including an entire room showing a map of the mine in 3-D. Very interesting. There is also a very old mansion on the property. Be sure to join the tour at the park entrance or you can't go inside. There are beautiful gardens to see in addition to the dry dusty mill area. There is also a blacksmith shop as the mine used mules within the mine to haul the ore. Some living underground their entire lives. We happen to stop in when a blacksmith was working and he demonstrated all kinds of things. My daughter came away with a horseshoe nail ring for the price of a small donation. Very cool. There are picnic tables all around the parking area so we had our lunch there before heading out. All during lunch we talked about what we just saw and learned. A great stop, even with teenagers.

Reviewed July 13, 2009

My wife and I, along with two close friends, recently visited the Empire Mine State Park. Ok, so the price was only $3 to get in, so what could we expect? The grounds were beautiful, the architecture of the homes, greenhouse, etc. were great, the old mining equipment and work areas were fun, but what about the mines?

We came here for the gold mines and we got... a few stairs going down to one mine. It was neat to see, but you only got a small glimpse of one mine. You didn't even get to go down into the mine; you got to look at it through a mesh cage.

I'm not sure what we expected, but for the price, there is a lot of history, great grounds and one gold mine.

Reviewed April 19, 2009

We visited on abeautiful Sunday morning and this was one of the highlights of our trip. I had a special interest as my great uncle was one of the Cornish miners who moved to Grass Valley in the 1920's to work here. The place is a real treasure - it's as though they suddenly stopped work and left everything in it's place. Seeing the mine shaft was both incredible and awe-inspiring, considering the depth the miners went to. Beautiful gardens and very cheap to visit. Well worth it.

1  Thank Addicked