“Our home away from home”
Review of Chalet View Lodge

Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
Northern California
“Our home away from home”
Reviewed October 22, 2009

We found the Chalet View on a dark and stormy night several years ago. It was a welcome warm port in a snow storm. We have been faithful guests ever since.
The owners and staff have always been very accommodating and attentive. When we have encountered minor deficiencies (as one does almost anywhere), we have always been pleased with the resolution of the issue.
We visit the area (where we own property) several times a year and stay at the Chalet View all the time. We find it very romantic. The rooms are very unique and well appointed. Additional amenities we enjoy include a spa, hair salon, cozy patio fireplace, and having a Starbucks on site (the only one in the county) is great!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank XKPNG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
California
Reviewed October 11, 2009

First the positives: well decorated, very comfortable beds, staff seems accomodating. However, I noticed this place was right on Highway 70, and to get less noise worked with the front desk staff to pay extra and get a quieter room around the side. What they didn't tell me is that this is next to some kind of disco that thumped very loudly on Saturday night until just after midnight. So much for our early start the next morning for a long hike. The restaurant is intimate, cozy, and the ingredients and sauce for the house salad were great. However, I ordered a sirloin steak rare, and they served me a tenderloin steak medium, so that really knocks down my rating on the food. To sum up, if you are looking for a peaceful mountain retreat with luxurious food and settings, this place doesn't really deliver. So only average in my view.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
ChaletView, Partner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this review, October 27, 2009
At Chalet View Lodge we strive for complete guest satisfaction; in doing so our staff will do everything to ensure guests have a pleasant experience. If there is an issue or complaint, it is addressed with the utmost of haste. This is part of our commitment to provide exceptional service at all times.

We regret that the concerns of this particular guest were not brought to our attention until the posting of this review. This particular evening we were hosting the local homecoming dance, which was mistaken for a disco. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Carrie Hickman
Partner
petaluma
Reviewed October 7, 2009

My husband, and I, along with my cousin and husband rode Harley's in very ugly weather to get to Chalet View Lodge and the surrounding area for recreation.
We could not have been treated better. From the front desk to the waitstaff, we were treated like best of friends visiting for the two night stay.
Dinner was excellent. Who would have thought this out of the way place would have awesome meals to satisfy the cold and hungry soul.
The room appointments were wonderful, (especially the big comfy beds), and very clean.
THANK YOU CHALET VIEW!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank faufie
San Francisco
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights in a terrace suite. while I realize this is not the Four Seasons (or the 4S prices!) the hotel sits very close to the highway and unless you are in a cabin behind the main building - the highway noise requires that you keep your windows closed at all times which is a shame since the hotel is in the country and fresh air would be welcome. As mentioned in other reviews - the cramped 2 story terrace rooms do NOT have closets or dressers - just a "nook" in the bathroom to store your things so you must travel very light to be happy here. Also, during my stay water problems that were going to be "fixed within the hour" continued for both days. Frankly, I think the hotel is overpriced for the value received.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JillSF
Dayton, NV
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Went back this year with my husband and stayed at The Villa. Wow! Roomy, comfortable, quiet and romantic. Service, like last visit, was the best. Enjoyed the walking trails and restaurant (fantastic food!). Lakes Basin hiking also a short drive away. We tried several restaurants in Portola, Graeagle, and Quincy and Chalet View's chef surpassed them all by far. Even Longboard's was not as good with the exception that they offered a great creme brulee for desert.

Will definately be back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed July 16, 2009

This hotel is advertised as being in Graeagle but it is five miles out of town and located on a different highway. It would be more accurate to say that this hotel is located halfway between Graeagle and Portola. It is disappointing that Portola isn't played-up in local advertising since it is a clean and friendly town with a world-class railroad museum and good mom and pop restaurants. It is also close to Lake Davis. Graegle is a nice community if you're into golf (which we are not). Land development is the major business here and vacation home sprawl has, sadly, taken-over the place. However, the town is close to Plumas-Eureka State Park and the Lakes Basin, and that makes the place worth visiting.

We stayed in a "King Loft" room, which was clean but sparce. The very small table in the room only had only one hard chair and there wasn't anywhere to sit and relax except for the bed. The loft had a trudle bed but no television. The walls in our bathroom had several scuffs and scapes and needed touch-up painting, and the grout between the jacuzzi bath and the wall was separating. It was hot when we stayed at the hotel and a swim would have been nice. The pool, however, looked green, and although I have no doubts that it was clean, did not look inviting for this reason.

Except for the small golf course adjacent to the hotel there wasn't anywhere to walk. The Feather River is only about a half mile from the hotel, but we couldn't find a trail or public access to the water. Adding or advertising river access seems a "no brainer." We found ourselves driving away from the hotel to take-in local sights and missed diners at the hotel restaurant as a result. But we did enjoy the nice Continental breakfasts out on the back patio.

The staff was very friendly and appeared to enjoy their work. We did not use or see anyone at the spa or the exercise room. The lobby and other public spaces were decorated nicely and the owners have obviously tried to make this an attractive and porfitable place. However, the patchwork driveway repairs that greeted us on arrival, and the empty commercial space on the property, told us that the hotel was in trouble.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TahoeFamily
Chico, California
Reviewed July 15, 2009

After searching frantically for lodging within the Portola/Quincy/Graeagle area, I was hesitant to book a room when I found this establishment on the internet. Driving down Hwy 70, it appears out of nowhere and it was beautiful, looks just like it does on their website. I was still hesitant...I mean, how nice could a place be way out there? Well, I was amazed! The staff was incredible, the room -- amazing, the property, absolutely beautiful! A GREAT get away for a family or for the weary business traveler! My room consisted of a large king sized bed with high quality bedding and extra pillows, a flat screen TV, wireless internet, a quiet A/C-heater, an upstairs reading room/loft, beautiful leather furniture, and a spacious bathroom with hot water. The walls were thick enough were I couldn't hear any of the neighboring rooms, and the deck outside had a few patrons enjoying a wonderful dinner in the cool night air next to a warm fireplace.

From what I heard, there are several things to do from tennis, volleyball, hiking, and the river is right behind the property. The is a nice playground for children, but the overall feeling of Chalet View Lodge is that of relaxation, high quality, and pleasantries.

I'm sure everyone can have a bad experience anywhere after reading two of the other reviews, but I didn't see any bit of what they were saying when I was there, nothing was less than perfect during my stay. Thank you Chalet View, i look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank apensity
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
#3 of 5 in Sierra City
Gold Lake Lodge
Gold Lake Lodge
#2 of 4 in Graeagle

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!