“Lost Sierra's Finest”

Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 23, 2013

What was supposed to be a 3 day business trip in the middle of nowhere, ended up being a month long trip in which I ran over my cell phone, worked 12 hour days, failing at what I was doing, but surrounded by beauty (not just you Anna), and lucky enough to spend my nights at the Chalet View Lodge. Off the beaten path of the Sierra's, the Chalet View is definitely the premier resort in the area. I loved my rooms, (I think I stayed in half on them), the dinning, and ending my nights at the bar with the friendly staff who didn't get to go home on time for a month because I always had to have one more glass of wine. The owners Carrie and Bob made me feel at home, attended to all my requests, and provided much needed laughter and stimulating conversation. The area is rich in history and I would love to go back for pleasure rather than business.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We have been coming to this Plumas County area for over 20 years, usually camping at the state park or staying in one of the old-timey motels in Portola. We decided to try out the Chalet View Lodge after reading the good reviews on TA, and were very happy with our choice. The room felt luxurious, and was spotless. The bed was extremely comfortable. The only strange thing was the lack of horizontal/shelf space. For example, there was a coffeemaker (with Starbucks coffee) set up on one shelf, but the cord wasn't long enough to reach the outlet. We had to pick it all up and move it to the already crowded bathroom sink to use it.
Unfortunately, the place was almost deserted-- there seemed to be only three other parties staying there. (It was a weekday, in the offseason.) We happened to hit absolutely beautiful weather, perfect for strolling the property with our dog. There is a pond, a small golf course, a children's playground, and trails out into public forest land. We also hit the Brewing Lair, just up the road a few miles in Blairsden, and spent an enjoyable hour outside at the picnic tables there with friendly people and delicious beers.
Breakfast was fine, although not commensurate with the quality of the lodge. I would have enjoyed a few higher-end pastries rather than a wider variety of more ordinary offerings. The coffee was delicious, and the dining room was comfortable.
Be sure to check their Facebook page, as we found a special price there that really made it a great deal!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank maryf55
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

When we built the lodge the company that did the feasibility report encouraged us because there hadn't been a new facility built in Plumas county in 50 years. We are happy that this reviewer noted that and gave us a shot. We look forward to continuing our improvement of Chalet View for years to come. Bob and Carrie

Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you are looking for a pleasant night's stay in a very clean comfortable well-designed room in a very beautiful area try the Chalet View. Our room had a comfortable bed, a gas fireplace, nice balcony, and upstairs with half bath, a couch, table and chairs and facilities for storing and heating food. We had dinner at the Grille Restaurant which I thought was good. The jacuzzi was under a tree so had some floating debris. Swimming pool was unheated so I stayed away. Continental breakfast was the usual fare. The golf course is well maintained I believe. I am not a golfer. Graeagle is in the gold country with lots of historical interest and places to see. It is close to the Railroad Museum at Portola, where for about $300.00 you can spend some time driving a locomotive. The scenery is well worth a trip Try Feather River Canyon and Hwy 49. Because of the economy not many visitors in the area which suited me just fine

Room Tip: Second floor overlooking gold course are choice rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband, lab and I loved this secluded lodge, surrounded by national forest! The room was immaculate and modern, with a comfy bed and pillows. We couldn't believe this place has been around for 10 years - it looks like it was built yesterday. The hot tub was a great after-dinner treat for us daily. We were surrounded by terrific hiking and tons of lakes and streams - we could've explored for weeks. Really great family-friendly, dog-friendly place. Friendly staff, yummy food at the grill. We'd go back in a heartbeat. I would also recommend a trip to the brewery in the woods for a pint post-activity, just down the street: the Brewing Lair (or something like that). What a find!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our local Graegle friends recommended this lodge and it is centrally located between Portola and Graegle. We asked for a room with a view of the surrounding trees but our view was on the other side, looking at a parking lot. Room 315. The weather was cold and so was the room! In order to heat the room we had to turn on a window unit that ran constantly and noisily without a thermostat. The slate floor was attractive, but it literally was freezing on our feet. There were no extra blankets and the two are the bed were not enough to keep us warm, but we were too tired to ask for more. Only at checkout did the receptionist remark "we must have forgotten to turn on the floor heat for you" !!!! Our room did not have a microwave or mini-frig. We were offered another room, but by that time my husband was napping on the bed after a long drive. Be sure to request a room with these amenities if that is important to you. The adequate breakfast bar was acceptable, the on-site Starbuck's was very nice! The outdoor patio with an inviting fireplace would be great as the weather warms ups. We were offered two golf clubs and two balls for free to play on the nine hole course. There was a nice walk down to the Feather River and a playground for kids. The pool would be nice in summer. Bike rentals are $10 a day and lots of places to ride them. We will stay here again, but will make sure we get what we need!

Room Tip: Request a room away from Highway 70 and try a terrace room with a small balcony. MAKE SURE THE FLOOR...
1  Thank Anna M
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Chalet View Lodge is a really neat property staffed by very nice people. We stayed in a deluxe suite with a loft and really liked the decor (slate floors, walk-in shower, fireplace, fountain outside the door) and the amenities (fridge, microwave, wine (reasonably priced), wi-fi, two bathrooms and two televisions).

The property is very pretty with lots of nice gathering places, including an outdoor fireplace, a sparkling pool, hot tub, spa, and a library. It's very green, with walking trails, golf and lots of trees. There is a lot to do -- swimming, fishing, volleyball, bicycles, a playground and more. It's dog-friendly, and we saw well-behaved dogs everywhere. The owner's dog Prince was also in evidence and he is an adorable and friendly little guy.

The restaurant served a fantastic dinner with small plates, pizza and full dinners, and the food was special. If anyone had told me that I'd be doing backflips over Brussels sprouts I'd have accused them of smoking something. But the sprouts were off the charts -- crispy, savory and laced with a thick balsamic reduction.

We will definitely be back! That said, there are a couple of things that might be an issue for some people. There is some noise there, being close to the highway. I noticed it while on the balcony Friday night. It seemed much less apparent on Saturday. Didn't hear anything while in the room during the whole weekend, so I'd say that the building itself is well-insulated. If you're worried, there are some little cabin thingies and some rooms facing away from the road; you might want to request that.

Second, TV is very basic, which didn't bother us but might have if we'd been there during Wimbledon or something and wanted to watch. I can hook up HBO Go to my laptop if I want, and I might do that next time in case I want a movie or something at night.

Finally, it would have been great to get a massage after our strenuous but thrilling ATV tour, but they were apparently booked. We left a message but it wasn't returned. Next time, I'd probably reserve in advance to be sure of getting in.

My husband said this was the best weekend in a long time, and I agree. We'll return for an encore soon.

Room Tip: This would be an awesome location for a reunion, wedding or other gathering.
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed two nights here and were very pleased with our stay. I had found a deal online and decided to book it because we hadn't seen much of the area and wanted to go someplace new. We stayed in the terrace view suites, a two-story little place with a nice floorplan, a little deck, and a cozy fireplace. We were able to bring our black lab with us for a fee. There is a hot tub, horse shoe pit, and volleyball court - all outdoors. The continental breakfast was awesome and yummy. Dinner at the Grille was good too. The lodge backs up to a large open land park. The little town of Portolla is sleeping was very cute and qaint. We went to Lake Davis a little ways up the road. There is plenty to see and do nearby, including a neat train museum! We loved it here and didn't want to leave! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
Pullman House Inn
Pullman House Inn
#1 of 1 in Portola
Lake Davis Resort, Cabins & Motel

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!