“Cute Lodge”

Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had a good stay using a Travle Zoo discount. The room was spacious and very comfortable (details similar to what other reviewers experienced). The only advice I would give is to pick a season. We went after snow and before things turned green. Some roads to places we would have explored were still closed, hikes were a bit wet and without the green of spring, the area felt kind of gray all over. Area shops were closed and restaurants had limited hours. In winter, you'd probably have a blast in the snow (no real downhill as far as I could tell, but everything else is fairly close), and spring would offer great hiking and backroad exploration along with the use of the pool and other facility amenities. Overall a fine experience. Taking the dog was a plus, and I know I should have asked, but I was a bit shocked at the $25/night fee for an 8pound dog.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Beautiful chalet cabin loft style rooms that are very unique. Loved the complimentary breakfast and staff was very charming and helpful...They helped us to find recreation spots and helped us find our way around. The hotel property is beautiful. They allow any type or size of dog which is always a plus for.

Room Tip: Choose a cabin or chalet style upgraded suite
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed at the Chalet View several times on business, and they welcome business travelers. Hotel rates are very competitive in the area, and this is one of the best locations for many many miles around. They have a small Starbucks counter, and a restaurant. Staff is always happy and cheerful. Food for dinner was good, and the restaurant was packed at 7pm, that’s a good sign. Basic rooms are well furnished and beds TV’s etc are all good. This time I had a couple minor hiccups in that the Ice bucket still had water in it, and the coffee pot was dirty, but these were very minor. Continental breakfast is pretty basic but enough to get you on the road. Always enjoy my stay there.

Room Tip: If you can get the $25 upgrade to a suite, I couldn't my company does not reimburse but they are...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Malcolm F
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had the recent opportunity (February 2013) to stay at the Chalet View Lodge. We took advantage of the recent Travelzoo offer and booked a 2 night stay in a balcony suite and made the 2.5 hour drive from Sacramento (thank you Mother Nature!). Upon check in we were greeted with a very gracious and hospital lady who took care of all our needs and seemed to really enjoy her job. We later found out that she was one of the owners, Carrie, and we really felt that she appreciated us being there. We later met Bob (the other owner) but we won’t discuss all his shortcomings (LOL Bob!). Our check-in was great and we felt we were being greeted into and old family friend. Now we have never before met the owners, Carrier & Bob, but both were very gracious and I get the feeling that they really want their customers to enjoy their time there.
Room: We had room 305 – it was one of the balcony suites and it was pretty nice. It is a room with a loft (king bed downstairs and fold out double out in the loft) and it was nice for our needs. It was only two of us and it worked out great. It is a king bed, with 1.5 bathrooms (there is a ½ bath in the loft) and a wet bar with a fridge. The only downside to the room is the “rain” shower head in the shower. Sorry I am not fan of rain shower heads – makes it hard to clean the undercarriage if you know what I mean. Since it is February we did no use the balcony but I think the balcony would be an AWESOME thing in the summer. Think about it, coffee or wine on a balcony in the big trees….. hmmmm……
Food: We ate at their grill both nights we were there. Food was good and service was good. This is not the Ritz (it is a mountain lodge for god’s sake) so service is appropriate for this area. There are several people who have complained about the food and service but please remember, this is a mountain lodge located about 70 miles from a major city, Reno. I say it again, our service was good and the food was good but each person ahs their own experiences. The dining room is a little small and really isn’t made to handle large family groups (it would be great for a nice jazz night in the summer) and it has a nice large fireplace in the center. They have added a nice pizza oven but that is only useable during the warmer months (it is outside and I think it would be a great place to sit and enjoy when it is a lot warmer – our trip it was about 30 degrees). My guess is that summer time, this place rocks!
Overall: We stayed in the middle of winter. This place is made for summer! It has a pool, spa, volleyball court, spa, golf course, grill, and access to some great outdoor activities. We stayed in the middle of February and still had a great time (we love to snowshoe and Bob (owner) had some great suggestions.) My only regret was that we did not set up a nice massage in their spa after the snowshoe. My wife and I rarely go to the same place twice but we cannot wait (cannot wait!) to visit this place again when things are a little warmer.
Good job Carrier & Bob!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kidfreeandtraveling
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Chalet View is by all means a cute, affordable lodge with spacious rooms. The people are nice. That being said, we checked into our room and the upstairs loft bed was unmade, including a head indentation on the pillow from whoever was there previously. The hotel was very accommodating and put us in another room. They had mentioned upon arrival that we should dine with them, their menu was great. We thought that would be a great idea since it is extremely cold and didn't really want to leave the hotel. We booked a 6:45 reservation for 6. When we arrived the dining room was packed - actually too packed as they have too many tables in the dining room making it hard to move around. Although the menu did look great the food was horrible! We didn't even get served until we had been sitting there for an hour. My poor son who is only six had to wait even longer as they got his order wrong. Here is the deal, they have a closet sized kitchen with only one chef. If I were the Chalet View I would completely scratch the idea of full dining unless they are going to expand the kitchen and add cooks to assist the chef in the kitchen. But the Chalet View is a cozy quaint lodge and what they really should do is make it a tapas and wine bar with some items for kids and be done with it. I give dinner at the Chalet View a D grade.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank time2goSanDiego
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

We always look forward to constructive criticism; however, in this case it would have been more productive to speak with me when I checked them out yesterday morning and I asked her how things were and she said they were great. If she had expressed her concerns I would have been able to let her know that we have doubled the size of our kitchen with the addition of our exterior wood fired pizza oven and additional 40 seats that we have open from April through October. We have already removed two tables from our interior winter dining area to improve flow. We appreciate the positive comments and look forward to providing better service in the future. Bob

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed two nights with our 6 and 7 year old children. Arrived late on Friday night and found that the heat had been turned on in our room in anticipation of our arrival. They gave us a room close to the lobby which was great since the temperature outside was below zero! After the complimentary continental breakfast, we spent most of the day on Saturday playing on a great sledding hill about 100 yards from our room. We borrowed one of the lodge's sleds for $5 for 24 hours. The kids had a blast! We spent the evening playing card & dice games in the sitting room off of the lobby before enjoying the NIner game with some other guests in the lodge's restaurant, The Grille. Good food, good atmosphere. We really enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. We will definitely return in the summer to enjoy the warm weather amenities. Thank You!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a fabulous winter visit with our huskies. I love that the dogs were welcomed at the lodge and had easy access to the outdoors. We enjoyed wandering on the frozen golf course. Beautiful! The lodge provides sleds & snowshoes as well. The snowmobile tour from the property was wonderful and the jetted tub after was much appreciated! The Grille was open for dinner and the 5 course New Year's Menu was great. The proprietors are very friendly and go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank renegadesibe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
#1 of 1 in Portola
No photo provided
My Sisters Cottage
#3 of 5 in Sierra City

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!