“29th Anniversary at Chelet View Lodge”
Review of Chalet View Lodge

Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
Gridley, California, United States
“29th Anniversary at Chelet View Lodge”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We just celebrated our 29th anniversary here at the Chalet View Lodge, and we were extremely pleasantly surprised. The staff were beyond professional, and yet very kind and friendly. The food at their restaurant was priced well within reasonable range, with the food being acceptional! I, of course, love their Starbucks!

The suite was priced GREAT with the downstairs having a fireplace, comfy couch, chair and LED cable TV stereo, etc. Upstairs had a double Jacuzzi, kitchenet and full bathroom with a shower, including robes and plenty of towels, etc. There were french doors that opened to the bed that was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in since our 10th anniversary in a cabin in Fort Bragg!!!

Next year, we will spend more than one night, for sure!!! I believe the second night may be 50% off, but not for sure. This night stay plus tax was around 135 for the suite!

There is also an outdoor fireplace with outdoor dining. We absolutely loved it all!

Oh, not to mention the golf course, outdoor swimming Jacuzzi area, volleyball and bad mitten court, and croquet! Such a fun place! I know I've not mentioned everything, but it's a must for us to return!!!

Definitely stay here!!!!

The Reinhardt's.

Room Tip: We would love the breakfast to be a little bit more. While I was completely satisfied. My husband is...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Very nice review, but, to set the record straight, lest people call us on offering gold, we offer golf! We are looking forward to the retreat: spa treatments and wine for all.
Bob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My Husband and I deceided to take a road trip to Plumas County to see the beautiful fall colors, and we found a wonderful place to stay. The Chalet View Lodge was amazing and so was the wonderful gal that took care of us. I must say that Claire is sweet and caring woman. She even gave us a choice of four different rooms to look at so we could decide which room suited us best, I was very impressed. We've stayed at many places, but never treated as special as Claire made us feel. Our room was wonderful and very comfortable. And lets not forget how great it was to sit on the patio with a roaring fire and our Starbucks coffee which they have on the property. Our dinner there was delicious and our compliments to the Chef. We will surely return again!!

Room Tip: The rooms off the highway are the best, quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
It is so rewarding to get a review like this that shows such a great appreciation for Claire's exceptional customer service skills;although, it is just a natural part of her personality. Now she gets a fat bonus!
We will let Max know that he is doing a great job on the dinners as well.

Bob and Carrie
Rancho Murieta
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our trip to Chalet View Lodge this weekend was close to a complete debacle. Our Deluxe Terrace Suite was nice, but as the prior contributor stated, claiming it is "deluxe by any standards" is a bit of a stretch. I don't want ot be too negative, so let's just say our room was nice. To be perfectly honest, our unhappiness with the stay had to do with service (or lack thereof) and not the accommodations.
Approximately a month before our stay I called and booked our reservation speaking directly to Bob, the owner. He was very cordial and helpful The week before we were going to arrive I called with a couple of questions and I was told by a young lady who said she was the manager that she could not find my reservation. I explained I had an email with a confirmation number on it, but she insisted there was no reservation in her system. I told her Bob had taken the reservation and she said, "That explains it". She then asked me for my credit card so she could make a new reservation. I hesitated because I did not want to risk getting double-billed for a room, but I accommodated her request because I did not want to risk getting charged $180 for not showing up when someone finally found my original reservation. The manager assured me there would
be only one reservation, but it didn't turn out that way.
On our arrival the manager who took my second reservation handled our check-in and everything seemed to be going smoothly.
On Saturday morning the problems started. The first problem we had was a dog in the unit next to us barking incessantly. After four calls to the front desk someone finally answered. I explained the problem to young lady. She told me she knew exactly what room the dog was in but since the owner of the dog was not on the premises the only thing she could do was try to call him and see if he would come back. We continued to spend our morning listening to the barking dog.
We had our "Do not disturb" sign on our door, but housekeeping knocked anyway. My wife explained to the maid we were getting ready to leave (to escape the dog noise) and asked her if she could come back a little later. About 10 minutes later the young lady at the front desk called to say her computer was showing that we had already checked out and we were supposed to be in a different room. I attempted to explain what might have caused the confusion and when I got to the part where Bob took my reservation, she said, "That explains it". I was starting to see a pattern.
I finally convinced the young lady at desk that we had a two-day reservation and we were in the correct room. My wife and I then went about our day. Upon our return three and a half hours later we found our room had not been cleaned. When I tried to call the front desk, no answer. I walked to the office to discuss the situation with someone only to find a different young lady and she was helping people at their Starbuck's coffee booth. After waiting for her to make/serve seven specialty coffee drinks I was able to explain my problem. She replied that she was sorry but the cleaning staff had left for the day. In fairness she offered to call someone and they could be there in 30-45 minutes to have the room cleaned. Really? It was almost 4:00 in the afternoon and the last thing my wife and I wanted to do is leave our room again so it could be cleaned. I settled on a couple of clean towels and some coffee for the morning.
At that point I asked to speak to Bob. Not available...out of town. Carrie, his wife...out of town with Bob. How about the manager? Nope...gone for the day. I headed back to my room to clean it myself. I'm sure worse things than this have happened to many travelers, but the combination of events was more than enough to suck the fun out of our stay.
In all fairness we were given a discount on our way out, but I would have much rather have had the experience I originally agreed to pay for and not a bunch of apologies and a rate reduction.
All three of the young ladies we dealt with were amiable and courteous, but I don't think it's realistic to have any one of them attempt to run this lodge by themselves. From my perspective they were expected to run the front desk, the Starbuck's coffee booth and manage the facility.
Combine that with all the reduntant confusion surrounding our reservation and our room not be cleaned and you have a very unfulfilling travel experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OldNorCalGuy
We are disappointed when a guests stay is spoiled by things that should be in our control, occasionally reservations are messed up.
We have a pet friendly policy but occasionally it isn't followed: the guests are not to leave their pets unattended, and are responsible if they disturb another guest.
As far as staffing, typically Carrie and I are the second and third person on and we were understaffed during this guests stay, we have corrected this and hopefully it won't reoccur.
According to housekeeping they knocked on the door at 10:30 because it was a quiet day( except for the dog)and they would be leaving. They came back at 12 and the sign was still up. We have a statement that if the DDD sign is still up at 12 housekeeping will not be done.
Unfortunately, we can't be here all of the time, but we do try, and we do try to try to get everything right all of the time, this time clearly we didn't. Bob and Carrie
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a nice lodge. I was there in off-season, and for what was probably one of the first snows of the season, so I wasn't partaking in amenities like golf or pool. I do not however find it to be "luxury". The staff with which I had interactions with was nice (just a couple of times at the front desk, once because the power went out in the entire area, and the waitress for dinner). I stayed in a basic hotel room. The beds and linens are nice, the floors are tile, and there is no separate bathroom heater. The hot water did start to waiver during both my and my husband's shower on my last day there. With the advertisement of a spa, I would expect shampoo, conditioner and lotion at least in the bathroom - its been my experience that most spa hotels offer some of their products in travel size containers, but there were just wall mounted containers of "gel douche" and "shampooing" in the shower and "soap" and "lotion" by the sink - no conditioner, and no way of telling what quality of product you were getting - which is OK, just once again I wouldn't consider it "luxury". Also for a "luxury spa" that has rooms with tiled floors, in-floor heat along with complimentary robes and slippers in the room would be expected. Not that its always expected, but it is when you advertise luxury. To their credit these sorts of items usually come with a $200 a night room, so I believe this and many of the not so great reviews just stem from the expectations set up by the lodge's description of itself. Overall I thought the room was fine. The hot tub was a disappointment - the one by the pool was drained and the other one was very much out of chemical balance with cloudy water that smelled funny. And the biggest disappointment of all was dinner. Made a reservation at 7pm and ordered a steak. (Much of the menu was off limits for me because of food allergies, which I'm used to dealing with, but when I order a $28 steak I expect it to be GOOD.) The ribeye was flavorless and tough. And a staff member decided it appropriate to vacuum nearby while we were still finishing our meal. And yes, the TV's in the (hotel) rooms are unusually small. This isn't a problem for me personally, but I noticed some other reviews mentioning it and it does look a bit odd given there is ample wall space, and I've never seen that small of a TV in a hotel room before, and I've stayed in plenty. I spent my final afternoon there in the lobby taking care of some work, and for a day dumping down snow, I was a bit surprised the fireplace wasn't going. It was off-season, so maybe they were running on a skeleton crew, and no, owners before you jump on this review like I saw you did with others, I didn't actually ask someone to light it. Should I have needed to? At a luxury lodge on a snowy day? So in closing, I found it to be nice and even above average in most respects, but there are some things that definitely need attention if this lodge is to live up to its description as a luxury destination.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kjf190
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We sure wish that this guest had stayed in one of our upgraded true spa rooms, if that is what they were looking for. We have attempted to please the business traveler as well as the resort guest with a wide array of room types. Thanks to this guest for commenting on the tv, we are in the process of replacing them with larger units. We are sorry about the fact that the fire wasn't going in the lobby all day long, we would have been happy to light it, and that the jacuzzi wasn't pristine, it usually is. The rib-eye steak is usually raved about and we would have been happy to cook another if we had known. In an effort to do our part ecologically we have replaced the individual plastic throw away amenities with more "green" dispensers. We hope that this review will not discourage other would be guests that are looking for more of a spa type experience: our day spa is typically highly rated. Bob and Carrie
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was only able to stay here one night and wish I could have extended my stay! The room had a beautiful view of the pines and scenery. The decor was top notch. It appeared that every detail had been considered to make the rooms stylish yet comfortable. The staff was friendly and thoughtful. Also loved relaxing in the lounge near the fire with some fabulous wine. The owner gives the place a personal touch by talking with all of the guests. I'll definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
It is so rewarding to receive reviews such as this. It was a pleasure to meet you, Jennifer, I had a great time talking with you and Oxanna. People like you make this a wonderful endeavor!
roseville
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while enjoying a golf trip in the area. It is a great little place to stay just outside of Graeagle off the Feather river highway. It is a newer hotel with some nice ammenities including pool, spa, indoor/outdoor dining with a wood fired outdoor oven, and little pitch an putt golf course, rental bikes, volleyball court, a little lake with fire pit and spa. The units are very clean and quiet. The unit we stayed in was two story unit with very comfortable king bed and bath on the bottom floor with a sitting room up stairs. Not sure if this was a sofa bed or not. If so, nice for kids, but wouldn't advise for another couple since no additional bath room. As a tip if you like beer, make sure you take a trip to the Under Cover Ale works a short drive down the highway before the turn off to Graeagle. It's a hidden micro brew gem!

Room Tip: Seems like there are several different types of rooms to choose from including small cabins with kit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great stay. Lovely place! Good food and great service. The staff and owners are responsive and welcoming. We enjoyed the golf and the horseshoes and the fire pit and the fishing pond. Beds were very comfortable and rooms were lovely!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
Lake Davis Resort, Cabins & Motel
No photo provided
My Sisters Cottage
#3 of 5 in Sierra City

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!