Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We have been twice once in 2007 and again for New Years weekend in 2011/12. We took friends from Los Angeles and had a great weekend! We had a Terrace View Suite while our friends chose a cabin. Good times as we played cards every night in the cabin and had a super fun weekend.

The spa is wonderful and very reasonably priced. We highly recommend it while you are there.

We are heading back this weekend for our anniversary. It is so beautiful up there!

Tracy & Matt

Room Tip: Definitely choose the forest view or terrace view...
1  Thank tupperitaville

Reviewed December 31, 2011

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of staying at the Lodge December 27 and 28. It was quiet but all accomodations were available to us which could not be said for many places in town. The spa services were first rate and we had a fantastic couples massage. Thank you Amanda! The owner was especially gracious and was our host, bartender and Starbucks guy! We learned a great deal about the area from him and can't wait to return in the summer to bike, play golf and enjoy the pool. The rooms are VERY comfortable and the food was very good despite the fact their head chef was on vacation. They also have a salon on the grounds as well as a first rate exercise club that is open to guests at a minimal cost. A wonderful experience!

2  Thank GregTammy
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I am writing this review as we sit in the motel room. We booked for three days and already are thinking about leaving early and just losing the money for the other two nights we booked (you have to cancel a week in advance). The room we have feels like we are staying in someone's garage.. The floor is concrete with no rugs at all (it's winter and very cold), there is no heat in the bathroom, the shower water is warm but not hot, The room was apparently built as a shop (there is a salon next door), so they put an 8' curtain across the storefront that adds to the feeling you are staying in a garage. The shower is a corner shower with a rain type shower head in the ceiling - not high on the wall - but directly overhead in the ceiling. This would be okay if I wanted to wash my hair, but since I have long hair I don't want to wash it everynight. The shower curtain rod is made out of copper water line and the shower curtain stops about 4" short of the threshold - functional, but defintely not luxurious, as it sounded when I read the web site. Bottom line, I would not stay here again. The room is not warm and cozy = and it's hard to feel comfortable when you feel like you are sleeping in a garage.

Reviewed December 8, 2011

While surfing the internet looking for a place to stay so my wife and I could cut a Christmas Tree, I came across a $99.00 special at the Chalet View Lodge. This included one night's lodging, a tree cutting permit, two glasses of wine in their restaurant if you chose to stay for dinner, and a continental breakfast. I made the reservation and was told that it would be no problem to check in early so we could get our tree permit and have all afternoon to find the perfect tree. When we arrived, the check in clerk had our permit with a map of the areas where we could legally cut a tree. Our room was ready and warm. We were able to find our tree within 5 miles of the lodge and had enough time to relax in our room before dinner. It just got better. Their restaurant was small, maybe 8 tables, but they had a roaring fire, friendly staff, and an interesting menu. The meal started with fresh butternut squash soup, and ended with the best chocolate lava cake I have ever had. Even though this was on a Wednesday night during their off season, the restaurant filled with a combination of lodge guests, and locals that were lucky enough to have discovered the gem in their midst. I will be going back and highly recommend both the accomodations and the dining.

2  Thank Les H
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2011

It is always rewarding to have guests such as these enjoy their stay. It was such a pleasure to meet them and have the opportunity to talk about life in general, I'm looking forward to their return. Bob

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Wonderful, charming place. I was traveling to Sierra County and was a little nervous about the hotels in Sierra County - I found this hotel on the edge of Plumas County and so glad I did! Lovely room facing the back of the property - snow on the ground. There is a welcoming feel to the lodge. The rooms were large - with a loft for sitting/reading. Beds comfortable. The room could have been a little cleaner (bobby pin found on the floor and the lotion had been used) but this didn't dampen my feelings for this place. Had dinner/drink in the restaurant. Was a good place to relax, and traveling alone, I felt comfortable and safe. Staff is very friendly and helpful. I look forward to staying at the Chalet View Lodge again with my husband to explore the area a bit more. This lodge is great for single travelers, families (lots of stuff to do around the lodge itself for kids), friends and large groups wanting to get away. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: This location is overflowing with charm - it looks like each room might have it's own charm.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2011

The Chalet View Lodge is a simply wonderful experience and beautiful property. There is much more than meets the eye when first arriving. Hidden by the main building is the expansive rear portion of the property complete with mini-golf course, fishing pond, camp fire area, hot tub, and forest. Our room was a terrace view suite, complete with loft bedroom (really neat), fireplace, living area, and two bathrooms! (downstairs and upstairs). The high ceiling allowed a "chalet view" from the loft as well as from the living area. This arrangement could not have been more comfortable.

The main building houses the lobby, lounge, restaurant, and get this, a mini-Starbucks! The lodge staff, while somewhat young and inexperienced, were very pleasant, helpful, and eager to please. This was actually refreshing. A very nice pool and patio terrace area directly behind the building rounds out the main building complex. There is a rustic element that lets you know this is the Sierras, but it is refined and appreciated. The Hickmans have put a lot of effort and thought into this property. They have made this the premier lodging/resort destination in the Portola/Graeagle area. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The terrace view suites are superb.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband & I decided to get away for a night - we rode our Harley up the 70 north of Oroville to Chalet View Lodge - we could not believe what we found. A true escape in the middle of no where! Our room was amazing - loved the fireplace and the bed such comfortable sheets & pillows! We are still trying to find the feather pillows we slept on to buy! The next morning we got up to a wonderful continental breakfast (the best coffee!!) having a Starbucks is a big plus! I looked at my husband & said I don't want to go home - so we booked another night. The owners Bob & Carrie really care! So does the chef Lizzie. Everyone we met there we really enjoyed - of course it helps that everyone is one is on vacation & in the most beautiful environment. I just loved the feeling of their lobby, dining room & outdoor patio!

We will definately be returning, but next time we will bring friends!!

Kathy & Alan Easter
Sacramento

Room Tip: Love the suites - extra bathroom downstairs! Lots of room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
#1 of 1 in Portola
High Country Inn
High Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Sierra City

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!