Review Highlights

Beautiful Lakes Basin Graegle

Reviewed October 8, 2018
mini
Fremont, California

All reviews gold lake sardine lake parking lot big bear lake long lake plumas county loop trail cub lake in advance sardines lakes lodge miles fishing pct scenery hikers
Reviewed 1 week ago

This summer I had a chance to return to a spot I have not been to since I was a child. WOW, I had forgotten just how beautiful this area was!! With a lot of California's forest areas on fire, many people found themselves in these older camping spots this year. Even though a lot of the campgrounds were full, it was still a great camping trip. Lakes are beautiful, alot of nature, pleasant people and great park staff. A bit more primitive than some like, but still worth every bit of it. I am going back again soon, I want to see more!!!!

Reviewed October 8, 2018

We visited Lakes Basin on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. We liked seeing the aspen trees changing colors on the drive there.

We spent time at Sardine Lake. There are cabins and a nice restaurant there.

We also sent time at Gold Lake. This is a good lake for fishing, boating, and picnics.

We also saw several of the other lakes.

We plant to go back to spend more time.

Reviewed August 11, 2018

While the air was heavily affected by fires burning throughout California, we managed to hike here 3 days in a row. Beautiful alpine lakes nestled beneath The High Sierra peaks. Also a place with incredible bird watching, which was an unexpected addition. If you like to walk and enjoy the outdoors, I would heartily recommend the Lake Basin!

Reviewed July 15, 2018

The lakes are stunningly beautiful with it possible to see 5 on a 5 mile hike. We went at the beginning of July and the wildflowers were out in full bloom. Our dog loved cooling off in each lake that we would go by.

1  Thank Scott P
Reviewed July 1, 2018

Lots of lakes near by.
Perfect during summer (May - Oct)
Well maintained, less crowded, Far from human habitat.

I visited Lakes Basin this summer... I fell in love with this place. One should be well prepared to camp here. Nearest grocery shop is at least 20-25 mins away.

Great biking trails, perfect for mountain biking

1  Thank 18srinathm
Reviewed September 20, 2017

beautiful lakes, you can swim, you can fish you are going to enjoy the view, bring something to eat, bring chairs and beers, but clean before you leave.

1  Thank Benjamin L
Reviewed September 8, 2017

and have lunch at Bassetts, too. Great drive from Graeagle to Lakes Basin. Stopped at lower Sardine for photo snaps and then up Packer Lake Road to the saddle and the PCT for more snaps. Not much traffic. Roads good. Great views and ah, the forest smell.

4  Thank Catherine E
Reviewed August 19, 2017

We hiked 3 miles of the Lakes Basin Loop trail counterclockwise (to the right) to include Long Lake, Cub Lake, Little Bear Lake and Big Bear lake. The first mile to reach the elevation of Long Lake was steep with small rocks underfoot, but it was so worth it.

Many reviews for trails are written by super fit people. While I can walk miles on flat ground with no issue, I am overweight and the mountain air is thin so walking uphill is very tiring. If you are like me, just take your time, stop in the shade from time to time to drink some water, catch your breath and give your heart rate a rest and then plug on. If you have an inhaler, use it in advance of the hike. If you're really not a hiker at all, you might go clockwise (to the left) to Big Bear Lake only, and still have a lovely forest/lake outing.

The views of the lakes and the many other vistas and natural sites were gorgeous on a pleasant August morning. There were only a few cars at the trailhead when we started on a Wednesday morning but the lot was full when we finished around noon. On a weekend, I would get here as early as you possibly can.

The trailhead is reached from Gold Lake Highway, turning off at Elwell Lakes Resort. I would recommend you locate this on your phone and note the other destinations around it so you get a sense of where this turnoff is. You don't see much when you make the turnoff, but just follow the signs down to the trailhead with parking lot.

This area in Plumas County is largely untouched, not a lot of roads or buildings, a few resorts and campgrounds here and there. But mostly, just wonderful, natural Sierra scenery with very clear air. A great morning!!

4  Thank whenyoudream
Reviewed July 10, 2017

Wow what can I say what a beautiful place anduring so peaceful, our first time there and we will be going back, my husband put his kayak in the water and took off didn't see him for about an hour my dog loved it, you can camp there too

Reviewed July 10, 2017

This area is a must for the outdoor adventurist.....many hikes including a beautiful waterfall hike at Frazier Falls. Don't miss the Brewing Lair-best Brewery ever!