“Tasty yet inexpensive Mexican cuisine”

Altamirano Restaurant
Ranked #65 of 141 Restaurants in Goleta
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This is not your prettied-up faux-Mexican yuppified bar and grill. One hears very little English spoken by the customers. But the food is well-prepared, the recipes authentic (with the substitution of vegetable oil for lard), the prices right, the service friendly. On a nice day you can sit at one of the two tables on a porch out in front. A good value and an enjoyable dining experience.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

From http://Wakeandwander.com:

The night before I disappeared into the woods for a couple days, my friends and I decided to go out for a meal - to celebrate various things - and we wanted a casual place where we could push back our chairs a little bit, get our fill, and throw back a few drinks.

Mexican won out over sushi and we chose Altamirano's on Hollister in Old Town Goleta.

Side note: Those two types of food might pair better with drinks than any other food type. Mexican and margaritas, Japanese and sake - quite the combos.

And I was craving a margarita - excited to order one and hang out in what is truly a relaxed atmosphere - but I was stunned when the waitress told me it was a wine margarita, that it wasn't made with tequila.

She said they didn't have tequila.

I told her it was a Mexican restaurant.

She said they didn't have it, that they didn't have a liquor license, and that it was made with white wine.

I told her I'd have one, but that I was upset.

She said she'd be right back, and a few minutes later she brought the drinks over (my friends were smart enough to order beer). I accepted the drink cautiously, eyeing the contents.

I am all for trying new things - which is why I ordered it, to see what it tasted like - and I don't believe I'll be having another margarita that isn't made with tequila. It was way too juicy without the bite of the booze - almost like drinking bad sangria.

I don't know man - with so many Mexican restaurant options in Santa Barbara, why wouldn't I go to one that serves tequila? Maybe you don't like margaritas, but I think there's a marg drinker in every circle of friends (be nice to your friends).

It's frustrating to me because the food at Altamirano's is solid - I had simple tacos and they were very good - and everyone at the table enjoyed their dishes. If the food was bad, I could just write the place off and be done with it.

Yet the food was good, and I'd love to go back and eat more - and I guess I could drink beer - but come on.

It's like a burger joint not serving ketchup (and I love me some ketchup).