“Very Nice Motel”

Best Western Plus South Coast Inn
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Great location. Motel was easy access from main highway and about 5 minutes to Goleta Beach. Room with 2 queen beds was clean, and well furnished with free wi-fi, refrig, microwave, flat screen TV, coffee/tea maker, iron, and hairdryer. Room decor was updated to replicate higher end hotels. Grounds were very nicely maintained with a resort feel, including a decent swimming pool. Lobby and patio areas where breakfast was served were comfortable. Included continental breakfast offered a nice selection of breads, muffins and hot entrees included egg omelet and sausages. Staff was very friendly and helpful. More expensive than other hotels in area, but worth it. One negative - weekend room rate was 33% higher than middle of the week.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2010

I recently traveled to the Santa Barbara/Goleta area for a 17-day business trip and conference at UCSB. Our entire staff stayed at the South Coast Inn. From the time we arrived, the staff worked their hardest to answer all our questions about the area, and satisfied all our requests. The room was clean and quiet; the breakfast was more than just your standard continental breakfast, and it was a plus to have coffee, lattes, and hot chocolate available at any time in the lobby. The lobby/breakfast area was a great place to eat a take-out dinner, or visit with other guests, and the pool and hot tub were clean and inviting. This hotel is very convenient if you are visiting UCSB, and has a free shuttle to the campus and SB Airport.
I would stay here again if I were in the Goleta/Santa Barbara area.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Spiders! We really love our room and service at this hotel and we are just packing up to leave but then we found two spiders on the bed! Yikes. I don't have arachnaphobia, so it is fine with me and I, also, understand that pests are sometimes out of their control but I still think it should be noted. Actually, now I am getting a little annoyed because it is 815 am in the morning and the housekeepers are running the vaccuum in the adjoining room as I type. My friend, who is still sleeping, just said " what is going on??? Don't they know I am sleeping? "
as of 820 am, I am not loving this hotel as much as I thought!
Positives- bed is super comfy. Room is clean, location is amazing for visiting Santa Barbara!

1  Thank soccr62949
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We stopped here on the way from San Francisco down Highway One on the way to Death Valley. Check-in was easy and quick, and free parking was plentiful. We had a reasonable sized room which contained a sofa as well as a double bed. Bathroom was fine, and there was a coffee machine in the room.

The swimming pool looked small but there was also a jacuzzi and it was being used by a number of people even though the weather was far from hot.

There was a complimentary breakfast. Not great food, but it was still nice to get some orange juice and coffee along with a few slices of toast before continuing our journey. The location was good - very close to the motorway, and there were a number of chain restaurants within walking distance for evening meals. That said, if it's Santa Barbara you want to spend time in, then it might be better to choose somewhere closer, as this was on the outskirts.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Naniwa
Reviewed April 13, 2010

The people at the front desk were friendly. They recommended great places to visit at Downtown Santa Barbara.They also gave me the room that suited my needs.
The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The microwave, refrigerator, and DVD player were convenient.The only problem I had was that the Wi-Fi did not work with my iPod Touch. The soap/shampoo (Bath and Body Works) provided was better than most other places.
The continental breakfast was filling and delicious. It is very convenient for busy travelers.
The location is perfect. There are restaurants and supermarkets like Trader Joe's. If you want to visit UCSB, this is the perfect location.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Don’t stay at the Best Western South Coast Inn! We are posting this here to warn you and we are filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as no one should be subjected to what we endured. This is a hotel where the owner and the manager have demonstrated they don’t care about their customers. During our second stay at this hotel we were in a room where the toilet wouldn’t flush. It wouldn’t flush even if the toilet was empty. We had to call the front desk twice to get it fixed, and each time they sent a new maintenance person, and each time we were told the problem was fixed. When it wasn’t fixed for the third time, I called the front desk in frustration. After being put on hold for a long time, the front desk person offered us the use of the bathroom in a room about 10 doors down from ours. We couldn’t just move into that room because it had only one double bed. We were four people in a suite with a king and a sofabed and no working toilet. No other rooms were available for that night. I couldn’t imagine getting up in the middle of the night and walking outside in my pajamas to use the bathroom. We weren’t camping here. We were paying lots of money for a hotel room for four nights. So, I explained how I didn’t see how the two rooms could work being so far apart and I said in frustration, ”How about just comping us a couple of nights and bringing us a plunger.” I added that I had to think about what we were going to do here. We and practically everyone else in town were here for UCSB’s Spring Insight and I thought all the hotels were sold out. After a few minutes, I called the front desk back and accepted the offer of the second room for the toilet. We were also offered a new suite room to move to the next day, which we gratefully accepted. We thought everything was all resolved. We would have a new room with a working toilet and everything would be fine. …..but it was not to be.

We were meeting friends for dinner so we had to leave. When we returned, the same front desk person knocked on our door and told us maintenance had snaked the toilet so it was working now. I wish maintenance had done that after our first call. We thanked him and gave him back the keys to the second room. I was told to talk the front desk the next morning about the situation. The next morning I talked to a new desk clerk about the nonworking toilet and he said he knew about it and the owner had heard and we were told we were required to vacate the premises immediately that morning and we were never going to be allowed to stay there again. I was in shock. We have been staying at hotels on a regular basis, including many Best Western’s, with no problems. And during our prior stay at this hotel the front desk person said our file said “really nice people” and how we must have made a great impression. Now, because we were frustrated that we were in a room without a working toilet, we were told we were required to leave. It didn’t make sense. We still had two nights on our reservation.

This new clerk told us that last night’s front desk person relayed to the owner that I had demanded to be compensated for two nights when all I did was ask as a suggestion in frustration. The desk clerk was apologetic and made excuses for the owner telling us he was under stress because of the renovations and also how the main computer system had gone down that night. We asked to talk to both the hotel manager and the hotel owner but we were told neither could be reached and the situation wouldn’t change even if they could be reached. There was apparently no way to get this miscommunication undone. He was sympathetic and he did comp us $30 which we appreciated, but there was no way we could connect to the two decision makers, the hotel manager and the hotel owner to get the situation fixed.

This is not the way you treat a customer. No one talked to us except the front desk person who was accusing us of demanding something we only asked for in frustration and as a suggestion. Plus, shouldn’t a hotel do something more when your toilet doesn’t work? The broken toilet wasn’t the only problem. The cold water at the faucet only turned off at a precise point that took a while to find. The shower had very low water pressure. And, the next morning, the toilet wouldn’t flush again. Plus, we heard another customer complain about how a hotel staff person walked in on them in their room really early in the morning.

In the end, the owner did us a favor. We found Pacifica Suites. It is closer to UCSB. The toilets work and work and work!! The rooms are much cleaner. The breakfast is better. The people are nicer. And we are very happy to give them our business for the next four years if our child studies at UCSB. Do yourself a favor and don’t stay at the Best Western South Coast Inn.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank whatmatters
Reviewed February 2, 2010

We stayed overnight here on the way from Napa Valley to Los Angeles.
The hotel is easy to find from route 101.
We had a room with two queen-sized beds which was clean and well-appointed. The ceiling in the room was quite low which tended to create a sense of claustrophobia.
The staff at check-in were courteous, efficient and helpful.
Breakfast was included in our tariff but was barely adequate. It was served in the lobby and the quality of that on offer was just about acceptable.
Overall, it was OK and reasonable value for money.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple