“Not as great as expected...”

The Habit Burger Grill
Ranked #2 of 142 Restaurants in Goleta
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Based on some of the reviews , I thought Habit would be much better.

I only had to wait a couple of minutes to order. Service was fine for a burger joint, however I did have to repeat myself several times due to the noise inside the kitchen. Food came out in a reasonable amount of time.

I ordered:
- Charburger with cheese, loaded. : The bun and fixings were fine, but the beef patty was thin, dry, and tasteless.
- French fries : Thin, overcooked, chewy, dry, and tasteless without ketchup
- Iced tea : hard to mess this up
- Vanilla malt : very good despite limited malt flavor

My point is that it is fine for a burger place. I have had much better (e.g. 5 Guys), and much worse (e.g. McD)...just don't believe all of the hype, or at least put it in context.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My son introduced us to the Habit when we were visiting him at college. This is by far the best burger for the price. We had a big group and tried each type of burger and they were all excellent. The french fries are the best I have ever had; real potatoes and cooked crispy but not overdone. The original Habit in downtown Santa Barbara is more crowded and during lunch time is hard to get a seat, but the one in Goleta is the same wonderful food with much less crowd. They are now expanding to other areas in California so we search for them anytime we travel. Consistently excellent food for a good price.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Three of us ate here on a Sunday evening at 6 and found only a line of three people. We ordered a chicken caesar salad, a Santa Barbara Cobb salad, a chicken sandwich, a side caesar salad and three drinks for less than $30. There was a child's menu, but my 6 year old son devoured his adult sized chicken sandwich. Food was fresh and delicious. We had to wait a little while for the cobb salad, but the rest came quickly. The evening was warm so there was no problem eating outside. There were plenty of tables available. The staff was friendly and helpful. Supplies and condiments were being resupplied while we ate. Plenty of parking was available in back, though we had a little difficulty pulling in and out through the narrow driveway. Maybe locals know a back way in and out that is a little less crowded.

We were surprised at the decent variety of menu choices for such a small hamburger stand. Vanilla ice cream cones were just $0.95. There were several salads, burgers, chicken sandwiches, and turkey burgers as well as the regular sides.

It was a little hard to have a family conversation over the surrounding noises from the traffic, the other customers, staff, etc.

1  Thank SubarcticHomebody
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

We stopped for lunch and was surprised how good the food was. I had the #1 which was a burger (I added avocado), fries (plenty to share) and a drink. The only bad thing was I forget we were not in Texas and it came with mayo not mustard. My husband has the pastrami on sourdough and was impressed. Total bill was under $15.00. It is a walk up, order, and sit outside place that could get crowded at noon. Surprised to say we would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

On Hollister food was very hot and tasted fresh. Can be busy with a wait to order and hard to find a seat if busy. Parking in back. Some tables near the road. Large menu with burgers, different sandwiches and salads. There are two more Habits in the area. Santa Barbara downtown and at the mall on Hollister.