“Small hotel with fine service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta

Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
San Jose, California
“Small hotel with fine service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The rooms were of average size and very clean. The bathrooms are on the smaller side with little counter space but the toilet and shower tub were in great shape. Only thing missing from the room was an extra set of blankets and pillows. The noise level for a holiday weekend was very low. Our stay was very pleasant.

The location is great - still quite far from Downtown Santa Barbara (10 minute drive) but surrounded by restaurants and grocery stores. Due to July 4 weekend, the price was very expensive for a Courtyard.

I really enjoyed the pool and hot tub, even though the pool was pretty small. The hotel is very well maintained and it presents a very posh decor. I appreciated the cookies that were laid out when check out began but they did not last long when I brought my kids back out to get some a couple hours later.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank gertrudeam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The Courtyard in Goleta is convenient to 101 and also to UCSB. The lobby is notably nicer than most Courtyard hotels. The rooms are perfect, and the shower exceeds expectations (in fact is nicer than any I had in a full Marriott). What a lovely pool deck! Warm pool, hot tub, firepit, and plenty of towels. Their fitness center was very well equipped for a small hotel, providing not only cardio but adequate options for resistance training. Helpful and friendly staff. Good business center.

If quality of rooms, public areas, pool, fitness center, business center and staff are enough for you to make a selection, stay at the Courtyard in Goleta and don't even think twice.

So with all this gushing why did I only give a rating of 4 instead of 5? Food. We had two meals during our stay: Dinner and breakfast. There were dissatisfactions with both.

Our dinner of a chicken ciabatta, quesadillas, and two bottles of water came to $27. Restaurant prices but we were ordering at the counter and taking a number. While the quesadillas were okay, the chicken was not a full breast. In fact, it appeared to be a slice of chicken roughly the size of a McDonald's hamburger patty...and I do not mean the quarter pounder. The meat was perhaps half the size of the ciabatta, hidden under the lettuce. It tasted okay at best, but left me hungrier than I should be after a $10 sandwich. On my way out I passed the hotel snack shop and wished I had just bought a frozen meal and used their microwave.

Breakfast was also a disappointment. The morning scramble included eggs, potatoes, bacon and toast. The toast serving was generous, perhaps to cover up once again getting shortchanged on the meat. Here it was bacon...perhaps only 2 slices...brittle and thin. How thin was this bacon? If it was only slightly thicker I might have been able to use it for window tint in my car.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank motohigh
Stacey M, Manager at Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Motohigh,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are glad you were able to use our beautiful courtyard area, fitness center, fire pit, and other areas. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations in our restaurant. We will definately use your feedback for continual improvement in the future and strive to makes everyone's stay exceptional.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I'm a seasoned traveler! Never have I seen ants crawling up a headboard!!! At 11pm at night they moved us to a new room. That leads me to think they know they have a problem! It was not the room I had requested! I am beyond frustrated and pissed! They need to reimburse us for the night! Unfrickinbelievable!! Vacation should be about relaxing. Thank god we aren't here for more than one night!!! Not worth the stay!!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ann N
Leslie B, General Manager at Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Ann N,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay through your Trip Advisor review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the grave inconvenience we caused you and not meeting your expectations of the true "Marriott" service tradition. Our management team is aware of this shortfall with your stay and we will rectify it. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again while in our area. Please contact me directly so we can ensure your accomodations are taken care of.

Leslie Brickell
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Very nice, upscale-feeling hotel/resort. Visually appealing and an array of upgrades through the facility. We felt fairly "posh" staying here.

Love the hot tub and fire pits. Gorgeous outside facilities as well

Fantastic room - lots of space for my family of 4 to move around and fee relaxed.

Some kind of mix-up with our credit card on Priceline, that got straightened out. Also had an issue billing my room for breakfast and checking out 30 minutes later. The ordeal lasted about 15 minutes because the clerk had to manually entered everything i ordered into his register.

Would definitely recommend to a friend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Stacey M, Manager at Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Matthew C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are committed to providing the best service possible. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We will definately use your feedback regarding your billing issue for training purposes in the future. We hope to see you again in the future!

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Awesome family hotel. The courtyard and pool area is totally safe and beautiful for family to hang out. The hotel is very very clean. The bathrooms could use more places to hang towels/toiletries on the wall. There's a refrigerator which was awesome. We were able to use hotel dvd to watch movie. second floor rooms have great pool view. The courtyard has firepits where we ate dinner and had drinks our last night. Hotel has breakfast bistro which serves limited types of starbucks drinks and really good breakfast sandwiches (also easy on the pocketbook). They also serve lunch sandwiches as well as they have a bar open until 11pm. The staff was very responsive and very helpful. very very helpful. I was juggling a 2 month old and breakfast orders and the guy behind the counter packed up my things and helped me with it all the way to the pool area. Santa Barbara was just a few minutes away. Parking surrounds the property so we didn't have a problem at all. There was free wifi throughout which had great signal everywhere we went in the hotel. They had a nice clean gym and laundry facilities. the rooms felt spacious and not cramp with 2 kids and 2 adults. They had a mini store with drinks, chips desserts which didn't break the bank (decently priced items). Just overall a great experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
Stacey M, Manager at Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Phenomena8,

Thank you for the wonderful review! Yes, our hotel has many great amenities. The outdoor fireplaces are a hit with many of our guests. The outdoor space with the pool is a great place to relax. Our Bistro restaurant is great, either if you would like to have a casual breakfast or need a breakfast on the run. We are glad you stayed with us and hope to see you again!

Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed her sever times while visiting my granddaughter at college. This past weekend they more than doubled the rates to over $500 per night due to graduation, all hotels did. The room was again nice. In the morning while we were trying to get ready to head for graduation, my grandson was the first in the bathroom that morning. After brushing his teeth, while rinsing out his mouth he started to gag. The water smelled like sewer water. The stench was horrible. We had him rinse his mouth out immediately with bottled water. I checked the shower and it smelled the same, so no one could take a shower. We called and asked for bottled water to brush out teeth. They brought up 2 small bottles. What infuriated me was the, oh well so what attitude we got from the staff. After graduation and a lunch afterwards I returned to the hotel to speak to the manager. My grandson had thrown up during graduation and was not feeling very well. The young woman behind the desk replied. "We brought you water, it's really not that big of a deal sometimes the water just smells like that." Then the manager came out. She seemed a little more concerned after I said my grandson was throwing up and asked if I wanted to fill out an incident report. I asked if they had fixed the problem or had they rented out the room again for that day. I was told they were booked solid. So they rented it out. I am calling the health department tomorrow, Monday. For $500 a night I expect more than a bed. I expected clean water and to be able to take a shower. None of use could shower! Oh I guess we could have if we wanted to shower in the sewer!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank deb m
Stacey M, Manager at Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Deb,

Thank you for your response. I spoke with you at the front desk when you notified us of the sewer smell. Unfortunately, you did not have time to talk so I gave you my business card with my direct line to call me immediately when you had a moment to talk. I have not received a call. We did inform you there was a sewer smell outside the hotel in the surrounding area, but there were not any issues inside the hotel that we were aware of. Immediately after informing me that there was an issue, we inspected the water in your room since we take an issue such as this extremely serious. We found no issues in the room.

Please call me directly to discuss further.

Stacey Meyer
Assistant General Manager
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is less than a year old and conveniently located near UCSB and the Santa Barbara Airport. Although average for its price-range, it has nicely appointed rooms, spacious bathrooms, and very comfortable beds with inviting bright white duvet covers. First floor rooms open onto beautifully landscaped grounds and patio area, and each has its own table and 2 chairs for relaxing. The spacious courtyard offers a pool, spa, intimate seating, and 3 fire pits among pergolas and market umbrellas giving this location the feeling of a higher-end hotel. There is a small bistro and mini-mart on site but no breakfast included with an overnight stay. I also found the noise level between rooms and floors to be greater than average.

Room Tip: First floor Courtyard rooms would be the best. If given a room on the upper levels, there is a choic...