“We made a mistake. Live and learn” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta

Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
California
“We made a mistake. Live and learn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Don't know how it works for the "paying" customer, but as a platinum member (using 100,00 points), be tenacious in what you want. Called 9:30 am in the morning that we were checking in and asked for 2nd floor, courtyard view based on other reviewers. Pulled in at 2pm and they assigned a 1st floor, not sure where. Immediately asked for 2nd floor and got a corner room overlooking putting green. We were not offered any upgrade. When I spoke to manager Stacey she stated they were booked and that the suites went to the paying customers spending $350 per night. That was day one (4/10/13) of five. No bathtub in my king room. No free coffee in the lobby in the morning. The bed is very firm.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
      Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Hilton Head Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Don't get me wrong, the hotel was very nice. Clearly it has been renovated just recently and they put me in a very nice first floor two room suite.

The bathroom was quite large and nice, the bed was very comfortable, the internet worked well, and I had TVs in both rooms making it nice while working and lying in bed. The nicest feature was having a small patio. I was able to leave the patio door open and enjoy the beautiful weather while in the room.

The staff was very nice, accommodated a late check-out and I had a very nice conversation with the housekeeping staff.

My only gripe - including tax, the room ran my almost $300. Now please understand I knew it when I booked it, but I wanted to see the area on a weekend layover in Cali, so it was what I bargained for. But that is pretty expense for a Courtyard on a Friday night and it was not as if it was graduation weekend at UCSB.

Enjoy it if you are on business and the trip is deductible or if it is a special occasion. Otherwise, maybe try and find something a bit cheaper.

Room Tip: If they will, get an upgrade to a suite on first floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Palo Alto, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This new Courtyard looks great and modern, with all the lobby features expected of a Courtyard. The outdoor firepit conversation areas are a nice touch in the courtyard, along with a small pool, and the place has a lively, comfortable feel. Staff are enthusiastic and friendly, rooms are new, clean, and well appointed with 2 Queen beds. Conveniently close to UCSB. Fitness center is well-equipped and has enough space to handle the activity.

Overall a solid and comfortable hotel stay in the UCSB area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Of course, things sometimes go wrong at hotel. This time they went REALLY wrong. I arrived at the Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta mid afternoon on April 1. Of course - maybe that's the connection - it was April Fool's Day and this stay was a joke - on me. The woman attending the front desk was clearly inexperienced. Instead of a greeting, there was a sideways look. Knowing the routine, as a a top level elite Marriott Rewards member, I gave her my name. She noted my status, etc. The room she gave me was on the second floor, not an upgrade, but actually a downgrade. It faced a large machine in a lot next door. I went down and asked about the location of the room. The conversation went like this:
"Is this the best room you have for a Platinum Rewards Member?"
Response: We dont' have any king rooms, nor any courtyard rooms.
Me: Don't you reserve rooms in advance for platinum member?
Response: Sometimes. But we have too many staying here tonight.

So, she moved my room to a "better" location: downstairs, adjacent to an entry door, on a parking lot.

I'll put in earplugs tonight and deal with it. It's not worth trying to re-navigate this.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank RMA626
The Flatlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This Marriott seems quite new, and so everything still feels fresh. The locals tell me it's only a few years old. If the pricing works for you, catch this hotel while it's still young.

My room was well-furnished, with a bed and a couch/coffee table set. There was a pull-out computer desk that had been built into a wall unit. It was not narrow like most computer desks, so there was a luxurious amount of space. Weirdly enough, it had less useful real estate than might first appear, because the pull-out design was staggered. The bathroom was spacious. I'm not a big fan of the shower stall, though it was big enough to fit two or three people in there. The refrigerator didn't work during my visit, but I didn't really expect a refrigerator at this sort of hotel. A nice amenity and a compromise of the DIY age.

The staff was helpful and friendly. When the the hotel printers failed (during my stay, both printers ran out of toner), the staff helped me print my business documents on their printer. There was also a billing confusion, but the staff took care of it efficiently. I was here on business -- rather grueling business, in fact. The service at this hotel helped make the trip a little better. At this hotel you can expect professionalism.

There is a convenience shop in the hotel, open 24 hours. The café was either closed or sparsely manned during the odd hours I stopped by. There is a K-Mart about a long block down from the hotel, but the area is of course designed for driving, not for walking.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

friendly staff but it was pretty loud due to kids at pool. Could also hear everything in hallway - weirdly. Very very clean. I moved after one night due to noise. Maybe try to get a room away from the poor. Def. don't be near the elevators - i heard every single noise from it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Goleta. We were in the area for business and this is a relatively new hotel. It is probably the best option in the area. When we stayed there, it has only been open for a short time. The staff were friendly. The rooms nice, good linens. Convenient location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Pacifica Suites Santa Barbara
Bacara Resort & Spa
Bacara Resort & Spa
#1 of 10 in Goleta
4.0 of 5 stars 2,105 reviews

Been to Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta? Share your experiences!