“Bring your earplugs and wallet”

The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Reviewed February 26, 2007

Our one night stay at Bacara was extremely disappointing. For the price tag of $425 per night, we expected much more. Our room was so poorly constructed, that we could vividly hear our neighbor complain about the noise through the walls. Our bed shook every time anyone on our floor closed their bathroom doors. Dining and drinks were way overpriced for the plain to mediocre flavor and service. The best thing was a bowl of apples in the spartan lobby. The resort layout was confusing and tedious. Would not return or recommend to anyone. The valet smoked in our rental car.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BarbeQ77

Reviewed February 26, 2007

My Wife and I spent the President's Day weekend here and had a great time. Overall, the staff and service here are excellent, the food was good, our room was spacious (regular room), and the atmosphere was relaxing. We came on a weekend that did not appear too busy.

Spa - great service by hostess and therapists. Our massages were some of the best we've recieved. The gym has a good variety of machines and weights. Very state of the art. Staff is also present in the room to address any needs you have.

Pool - very low key and relaxing. Even the kids were subdued. Saw a few "B list" celebrities by the pool with thier families. Everyone seemed to respect their identity and privacy. Poolside drink service could use improvement.

Kids Club - They have a great Daycare center onsite with lots of activities. We saw an open buffett of fruit and healthy snacks the kids could choose from at thier leisure - same quality of food offered at the restaurants.

Restaurants - We did not eat at Miro, but ate at the cafes and the bar. Great food and excellent service. I suggest you make reservations for dinner.

Price - I read some complaints on the cost of this resort. This resort is 1st class and comes with a price. We got what we paid for. Expect 5 star resort pricing similar to Ritz Carlton. We felt the staff was a little more candid and personable then the Ritz.

Landscape - great walking trails a nice little beach. This hotel is built into a hill, so if you're not into walking up and down, there are staffed golf carts that will take you where you need to go. Lots and lots of golf carts around.

We'll definatley consider this hotel for a return trip.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank averagefamilyguy
Reviewed February 19, 2007

My mom and I just recently stayed at Bacara for the second time. Although we only stayed one night, we've never enjoyed ourselves this much. Not only is the hotel breathtaking, but the staff is so friendly and helpful. Staff members remembered our names and offered us rides to different locations around the resort. The food is incredible, and I'd highly recommend this hotel to anybody looking to relax. My only complaint is the spa cafe. We ate there for lunch, and they were "out" of several entrees on the menu. However, the Bistro is phenomenal (I'd recommend the salmon nicoise salad). Overall amazing stay!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank leopardbaby71
Reviewed January 13, 2007

I read a ton of reviews for Bacara before going and was nervous to spend that amount of money per night. It is hard to know if a person it just a negative person and does nothing but complain or if they had a bad experience. We went to Bacara for my Bachlerrate party. The bell men did a great job. The check in was fast but we waited about 20 min. in the lobby before someone came to take us to our room. There was not a lot of people checking in at the time so we did not understand what the hold up was but when they came to take us to our room they give you a lift in what I call the limo of golf carts. When I read some reviews most people complained about the wait after checking in and this is why. They take you to your room and they gave us a little tour of the grounds. The room was great. The tile floors and the openness of the French doors were nice. The grounds are beautiful. I think this is what makes Bacara. The service we received was exactly what it should be. We did a Spa day. I have to say I was a little disappointed by the spa it self. I excepted something absolutely wonderful, but if feel short to our expectations with its simple décor. I will say it is the largest day spa I have ever been in. The treatments we received were great and the service was excellent. We ate at the Spa Café and the food was wonderful. The pool by the ocean was very nice. The drinks were great and worth the price. The food at the pool was good. The reviews about not having a beach to really go on it correct, but the grounds at Bacara are enough to make up for the beach. The weather was very nice except for the last day. The fog was thick. Bacara was beautiful and worth every dollar spent. I would stay here again for a special occasion.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank doublell21
Reviewed January 9, 2007

This was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. Beautiful destination, gorgeous rooms and wonderful service. I would highly reccommend it.

Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank dylana
Reviewed November 29, 2006

Bacara is hardly a beach resort, as previous posters have noted--with a narrow beach, and few rooms with a true "ocean view"

Food is fair at best. Most guests will want to goto Santa Barbara, which is a 15 minute drive.

Maid service is spotty--front desk said reason for their not showing up one day "was because we were full."

Rooms are well designed, but the walls are paper thin. Beware, you will certainly hear everything your neighbor says and does!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank platinummedallion
Reviewed November 25, 2006

I can't help but notice after reading solidfellow's review that they mention the cost of porterage. Porterage in hotels refers to guests who stay at a hotel through a group, almost always on a reduced rate. It is frustrating to hear reviews of nice hotels swamped with group guests who are not used to staying in nice resorts and in turn paying these prices, which are in fact on par with other high end resorts.

• Stayed: October 2006
3  Thank chrisbaker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Kimpton Canary Hotel
Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta
Spanish Garden Inn
Spanish Garden Inn
#3 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!