“Spend your money else where”

Bacara Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
California
“Spend your money else where”
Reviewed August 20, 2006

I MUST say that i have never had such a horrible experience at a Resort or have ever been so insulted by a Resort management! My husband took me here for my birthday. He thought it would be the PERFECT get away. SURPRISE NOT!!!

We arrived on Friday night & had 2 massages scheduled in our room. There were great, but when my husband went to sign the bill each massage was $500.00! They were far from that good. Then we went to sleep around midnight only to be awoken by a party of 15 people above us at 1:00am. We had to call security 3 times to have the nosie & people removed. The next day we were scheduled for a horse back ride on the beach. The resort gave us a card to go a ranch (the ranch was nice) but this ranch only rode in a cirle of dirt for 45 minutes and no where near the beach. When i expressed ours concerns to the manager Terry he said that he was changing out room so we wouldl not be distrubed by the guest above & this room had a GREAT surprise for us & assured us of a beatiful sunset! Well, the room was nce but not even in the direction of sunset (barely see the ocean) & the managers big surprise was a flower with a most insulting note! Too top off the end of our weekend when we checked out the bell boy didn't put our luggage into the car! Thank god we went into Santa Barbara for breakfast and did some shopping. When we opened the truck to put our bags inside we saw that our luggage was NOT there! So we had to go back and retrieve it! When we got back to the resort 3 hours later our luggage was still sitting right out in front & my husband walked up got it put it in the car (no one at the resort even asked or stopped him. This place is way over rated & they plain old (-)you! The weekend cost us $2855.00! It wasn't about the money if the service was good. But the service was horrible the whole experience was nasty!

• Liked — nothing even the sheets on the bed were bad
  • Disliked — room service management
  • Tips/Secrets — go anywhere but here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank sandymed2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Suffolk, Vriginia
Reviewed August 19, 2006

This was our third visit to Santa Barbara and have always enjoyed it. However, this time we were disappointed with our choice of hotels. Previously we had stayed at the Four Seasons (Biltmore) and we were always impressed. We decided to try the Bacara as we had read about it in various publications. Upon check- in the staff seemed very confused with our accomadations as they were getting it confused with another guest's account. This proved to be a problem until even a month after we checked out. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the staff was very helpful. The room however was the biggest disappointment. For $800 per night I expect something better than what one would find at a Marriot or nice Holiday Inn. The room was small (compared to the Four Seasons) and the bed, bedspread and linens were of very poor quality. There was no coffee maker in the room when we requested one we were informed that there would be a charge for it (come on - we're talking $800 a night!). Additionally, we dined at the upscale Miro restaurant - very expensive and very dissappointing. I don't need to go on, you get the picture. We drove over to the Four Seasons and booked our stay for next year.

Stayed April 2006
4 Thank 2thdr
Utah
Reviewed August 6, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Bacara the first week in August while our son attended the MJ Flight School Camp. It was a wonderful experience.

The rooms are great. The pools are great. The Spa was great. The staff was great. I read all the reviews before making our reservation and was glad we believed the good reviews. Was staff was very attentitive our entire stay. We went into town twice a day so, we feared having the car in valet parking would present a problem. Tip #1 call in advance and the car will be there when you are ready to leave. The food is expensive at the Bacara (and very very good) but, Santa Barbara is just 5 minutes away.

There are many fast food to average restaurants to choose from. There were also 2 weddings (1 very large) during our stay that did'nt affect us at all. I don't know what everyone else was talking about. Anyways, stay at the Bacara and expect to spend some extra money or stay somewhere else. As for us, we enjoyed everything about the Bacara and we are looking for to next August!!

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — The price
  • Tips/Secrets — See review
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank griff30
Northern California
Reviewed August 6, 2006

The hotel is exactly what we were looking for. Upon arrivival, we were greeted by the most courteous staff I have ever run into. I read in a review that a reasonable tip of $20 would get my car left in the courtyard. That was very helpful! I was driving a rented Toyota and everytime I came up to to get my car it was left right up next to the Bentlys and Lexis'. This really saved time on the wait at valet. The lobby was magnificent! It was our anniversary and the front dest was very accomodating to our reasonable requests. We didn't ask for anything free but the front desk personel seemed to react well to our pleasent demenour. We arived at 3PM and were told our room might not be ready for an hour. We had expected this wait, as we were told that check in was at 4PM. We decided to wait at the bar. The mojitos are magnificent! Bar staff was amazing! As we waited we noticed many upset guests in the lobby. I do not understand why someone would get upset that their room was not ready... were they not warned that check in was at 4? After we finished our beverages we walked out to the lobby and, shortly thereafter, were greated by an extremely welcoming bellman. He brought us out to a golf cart and loaded up our luggage. He asked if we would like a tour of the property... we offered a resounding yes! Long ago I worked in the service industry and know that the employees at these type of extablishments are underpaid, often minimum wage. I usually tip after service, but wanted to assure excellent service so I slipped the young man $20. From that point on we were taken on a wonderful tour of the resort grounds. He gave some helpful recommendations and OUTSTANDING personalized service. The rooms are amazing. We had a partial ocean view. One complaint I do have is that the housekeeping staff needs to be more courteous. The fitness center is lovely and has convenient hours. We did some mountain biking and kayaking. I found that tipping at this resort really assured excellent service. I will recomend a few things to readers. Visit the Bistro which has oustanding Mediteranean cuisine. Call ahead for rides or tough it out and walk up the hills. I think Americans are just getting too lazy. Is it really hard to walk 100 meters up hill? Bacara is very laid back and as long as you go in with the propper attitude you will have an excellent experience. The property is spread out and peacefull. You get what you pay for and more!

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank Mr.Whites
Las Vegas
Reviewed August 3, 2006

I read many of the reviews on this website prior to booking my stay, and I must say many of them do not do this great hotel justice! From my arrival into the beautiful courtyard I was greeted by several cordial young men who were very happy to take care of my bags while I began the check in process. overall, valet service at this hotel was very smooth. Many people writing reviews of this hotel complained of the fact that your car would not be kept in the courtyard unless u were driving a bently, rolls, or ferrari. I call these people amatuers. As an avid hotel patron, I have learned over the years that TIPPING the doorman upon arrival WILL get your car held in the courtyard. As I was going to dinner shortly after checkin, I just slipped the doorman a $20 and my rental seabring was waiting for me when I came back. no waiting for MY car during the big dinner rush. In fact my car was kept up top or much of my stay. very conveinent for only $20. After check in was completed I waited just a few minutes for a bellman to find me and we were off to the room. The bellman here are indeed young, but what what else would you expect when coming to santa barbara?? this hotel is less than 5 miles away from UCSB, where many of the hotels employees are from. The bellman are all very friendly and a delight to talk to. many reviewers complained of them being too chatty, I being a normal human being enjoy a nice conversation, and the bell staff here provides nothing but the most pleasant of conversations. The hotel setup is very nice however it seems as if bacara made one mistake...they built their parking lot on the most prime piece of real estate at the resort. The result, a lot of hills to walk up and down. The upside to this however is the cart service, with so many carts driving the grounds, it is easy to find a ride, and i was offered at least 20 rides throughout my stay. The only real complaint I have is the prices. pretty steep. ill leave it at that. My advice to anyone wanting to stay here, expect to spend money! This is santa barbara, things are Very expensive in this town. also, tip your bell and valet staff well, and you will recieve excellent and attentive service, remember, these guys probably make minimum wage, so they are willing to work for your tips. All you complainers on this website probably stiffed your bellman. dont expect any service for being cheap. Overall my stay was great and I have already booked my second trip to this fine resort.

• Liked — service, beautiful young friendly staff
  • Disliked — too many business men on retreat/ too many weddings
  • Tips/Secrets — Take care of those who provide services in a tipping environment
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank cityoflights
houston
Reviewed July 30, 2006

This resort misses on the little things from beginning to end. Starting with the inelegant registration process which requires a long wait aimlessly in the lobby for an inappropriately chatty bellman to finally take you to your room with your bags, to lack of cleaning during turndown service (despite hefty tips left), to the $150 cancellation charge because we changed our dining reservations from one dining location to another (both on property mind you) - and then we weren't told of the charge until it showed up on the bill. I have stayed at many fine properties, and this is not one of them, despite the beautiful advertisements and Oprah's recommendation.

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank annabelle2
la
Reviewed July 16, 2006

beautiful facility and the college student staff tries hard.....BUT for the money they charge for the "organic" food, the spa treatments and rooms there are a lot of little things that a ritz or 4 seasons would not mess up.

After going through a battery of questions at check in I was annoyed, but hoping that they would actually listen. After spending a weekend in Vegas with the housekeepers constantly banging on our door, my wife and I liked that they gave us an option on when we would like our service.,,,we said noon!

We REALLY wanted to sleep in and were excited to do so without the kids and dog etc.

first knock-8:30a
2nd knock-10 something
3rd knock-11:30a...what the hell is going on?

not as many on Sunday, but still early.

Complimentary newspaper sir, "would you like LA Times or NY Times". How about reaching around to pull the paper off the door...only to have the wrong one.

My wife having to flag down a server at the pool and ask for a menu....only to have her forget and having to flag down another one.

attention to detail is something they don't have down.....How about having some staff memmbers over 30, who have some hotel/restaurant experience?

5 star prices with 3 star service!

• Stayed July 2006
10 Thank jwilberdog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Kimpton Canary Hotel
#6 of 12 in Goleta
Hotel Milo Santa Barbara
Hotel Milo Santa Barbara
#15 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!