“Beautiful Resort, Lovely Location, Great Restaurants....but....”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Arroyo Grande, California
“Beautiful Resort, Lovely Location, Great Restaurants....but....”
Reviewed September 3, 2014

We spent two nights at the Bacara a couple of weeks ago. It is a beautiful resort, landscaping meticulously manicured, the staff is warm, welcoming and exceptionally professional.

The room was very nice but it had no chest of drawers so we had to live out of our suitcase for the three days we were there. Isn't that rather odd? Even a cheap motel has a place for you to unpack your clothes. Also, there was nothing in the room giving information about the resort, room service, the services of the resort, etc. I dialed the room service number and asked why there wasn't a menu or a listing of services in the room. The man who answered the phone said that they didn't usually have a menu in the room but that he could have one sent up. I hung up and called the front desk because I thought that perhaps the room service man didn't understand what I was calling about. I got the same guy. I told him that it didn't make sense that there would be no information on the resort in the room. He asked me hold, asked someone else, came back on and said that it should be in the blue binder. I said, "Excuse me, but that's what I'm trying to tell you. There is no blue binder in the room." He said, oh, well, I'll have one sent up to you. Hummmmm, who is manning the front desk?

We ate in both restaurants - outstanding!! Couldn't ask for anything better. Service was top notch.

We drove up to the hotel in our own car. When we departed they brought our car out. It had been sitting outside, under a tree, for three days. It was covered with sap, fallen seed pods and was filthy. The man who brought the car said he would waive the parking for our stay because of the condition of our car. HOWEVER, the sap marks would not come out and we now have to take our car into a body shop to try to get the marks off. NEEDLESS TO SAY, WE ARE VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Sgyost1206
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear Sgyost1206- Although I am pleased to hear you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, I am sorry there were certain occasions that left you with a negative perception. I will address your specific mentions with the appropriate teams. I can understand your frustration with regards to the sap. Your experience is certainly not aligned with our service standards. Again, thank you for your review.

Truly,

Bacara Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
Danville
Reviewed September 3, 2014

We first stayed at Bacara several years ago, and have been coming back ever since then. This is truly a luxury resort, without being pretentious. Their approach to service is to do whatever it takes to make your stay wonderful.

The rooms we have stayed in all have an understated luxury and comfort. We would highly recommend a room with a balcony/patio. It really adds to the overall experience, be it to have breakfast or simply to enjoy a quiet moment.

The pools are wonderful, and having an adult-only pool is a nice choice.

Lots of areas (lounges, patios, etc.) to sit and relax. Many have fireplaces or fire-pits. Great venus to have something to drink or eat with friends.

Dining options are limited, as with most resorts. Miro is terrific, but on the formal side. We would highly recommend trying out one of the buffets that Bacara hosts on holidays, even if you are not a guest at the hotel.

We are very active and like to work out every day. The spa and fitness facilities deliver everything needed on that front. In addition, the resort will provide bikes for cycling and also has tennis courts.

The one item of note is that Bacara is not actually in Santa Barbara, but about a 10 minute drive from downtown. This has never been an issue for us, but prospective visitors should know that you cannot walk to any shops or restaurants.

All in all, whether we are looking for a romantic getaway or a weekend with kids and family, Bacara is our top destination in the Santa Barbara area.

2 Thank Monika F
Dear Monika F- Thank you for your 5-star review and honest feedback. There are many mentions in your review that potential travelers will appreciate! I am pleased you enjoyed the service, facilities, spa and more! Your loyalty and decision to return to our Bacara family is the utmost compliment, so thank you.

San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed September 3, 2014

My daughter and I have a "no guys" can come here with us rule. Our boys always want to surf. It is just a little too far to drive back to the good surf spots. Plus, we can watch girl movies and we have some girlfriends that live nearby, and they come by and hang out with us. We like to create a relaxing, zen atmosphere here. The staff is insanely helpful. Rooms are so Santa Barbara cool decorated. You need to walk a lot around the property, but it is OK because it is a working avocado farm. Can you say guacamole and chips, and olives, and cheese... spa services, and then a Mai-tai by the pool as you listen to the waves crash down below while reading a Forbes magazine (just kidding while reading US magazine). Time flies by, this Oasis is a must!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear DawnEve7- What a fun review! Thank you not only for your 5-star review, but your dashing description from your recent stay. I am happy to hear you and your daughter though-roughly enjoyed your time. I couldn't agree more, reading US Magazine while sipping a Mai-Tai is definitely relaxing! Please come back and visit us again soon.

Marlboro, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Stayed here 3 nights with my family on our way up to S F. Having seen this hotel every time I get my travel special emails from AMEX fine hotels... I researched it more and decided to go with it. Well I wasn't disappointed. Everything about it was first class all the way. From the moment you check in to the moment you check out the service and smiles are excellent. The good and bad:

Good :

Our suite down close to the pools was amazing. Great bed, large bathroom, and outside patio area. They cleaned it well and on time every day.

The pools are wonderful with the staff young and happy. No pushy people here... order drinks when you want. The lounges are plentiful and the view is amazing against the ocean.

The breakfast was awesome as well sitting outside looking at the nature trails. Buffet was a killer.

They gave us bikes to ride on the nearby trails which was a great workout on 2 mornings. Their own walking trails are very nice as well.

After arriving back from town for dinner we had coffee and dessert at their outside patio that had fire pits. Great.

The overall scenery and feel of the resort is very peaceful and promotes luxury.

The not so good:

Yes its not " in Santa Barbara". Its actually a 10 minute drive into town but no big deal. I'm the kind of person who actually likes to leave the resort for dinner ( instead of spending every minute locked inside the resort ) so no biggie for me.

Beach: Not really a good beach if your looking for a killer one. It had oily goo and rocks all over.

Quiet: Again its a serene setting for having a quiet stay. If your looking for any excitement at all... this is not your place.

Overall for me... I loved it and would def be back. Quality and luxury all the way.

Room Tip: There are many different " buildings " on the resort. If you want something close to the...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Dear BIGMIKE275- Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! As a Top Contributor, we sincerely appreciate your 5-star review. You included some wonderful highlights that I am sure other travelers will appreciate. I am so happy to read you enjoyed your overall stay- it certainly sounds like you had a truly relaxing time! Please come back and visit us again soon.

san diego
Reviewed September 2, 2014

It's a very beautiful property and the beach is right there. However, it's extremely pricey and I didn't feel like it was worth the money. The staff is very nice but unorganized and no one seems to know the answer to any question.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear mom2my4- I am pleased you found our resort beautiful and location to your liking. Although I am very concerned you did not find your experience worth your money. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Woodacre
Reviewed September 2, 2014

This resort is fabulous. We were on a family trip moving our two older children into college and enjoyed coming back to a delightful staff and beautiful grounds at Bacara. We felt pampered every day. We were greeted with warm smiles and people wanting to help us with our needs. The food by the pool and at Bistro was excellent. We decided not to eat at Miro this time being that we were not impressed with the very expensive dinner the last time we were in Santa Barbara. The Spa was fantastic! I had a lavender scrub that was wonderful and my husband had a massage that he also said was great. There are two drawbacks to this resort - housekeeping and the "extra" fees. When I called the front desk at 4:30 for someone to service our room, Amanda said that they probably came by earlier but we must have been there. I said no we had been gone since 9:30 and she said well they have until 5:00. I said well we really need toilet paper so could someone come soon….Then when they came they gave us one roll of paper, no extras and no more soaps etc…The same thing happened the next day. Luckily we were right across from a housekeeping station and grabbed the one roll of toilet paper they had on their cart. The extra fees were also annoying. They also charge for parking, a resort fee, and to use the computers and printers. All in all I will stay here again when they offer their specials.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Vernona B- Thank you for your review. I appreciate you choosing our resort for your recent travels to Santa Barbara. I hope your two children were able to settle in nicely to their college. Your feedback is very valuable and I appreciate your honest feedback. I will share with the appropriate departments.

Reviewed August 31, 2014

From the moment we arrived at the resort we were treated with excellent service. We were celebrating a special wedding anniversary and the resort made sure the staff was aware of this and we were greeted with many celebratory wishes. The room accommodations overlooking the pool and ocean views were spectacular. A special anniversary dessert and champagne were waiting in our suite. How special we were made to feel. I can not wait to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear 2brobbie - Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience on Trip Advisor. First and foremost, happy wedding anniversary! I am ecstatic we were able to share with you this special time. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the view from the room as well as the service. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Warm wishes,

Bacara Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Belmond El Encanto
#39 of 52 in Santa Barbara
Montecito Inn
Montecito Inn
#17 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!