New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Bacara Resort & Spa

Bacara Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
Toronto, Canada
“Great Hotel and pool area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Really nice hotel with great pool area. Unfortunately not much of a beach. Service was excellent and the breakfast was very good as well. Would have stayed longer but Google executives had a planning session and took over the hotel. Unfortunately also ended up closing the restaurant too.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear sensmike- Thank you very much for visiting us from Toronto, Canada. I appreciate your review and am pleased you enjoyed the hotel, pool, breakfast- and especially the service!

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've been visiting this resort for fifteen years for a reason - it's peaceful, very clean, the on-site food is varied, always inventive, fresh and healthy. Their spa is top-drawer and the gym is well outfitted. The beach is easy to get to and their three pools are laid out where you can either have people around or privacy. The rooms are fantastic, large, updated, custom and loaded with wonderful amenities. The walking pathways circle the property and are a great way to get low-impact exercise. Their tennis courts, bikes and small ocean canoes are another way to enjoy and maximized your outdoor time there. The resort has recently changed owners and they have clearly upped their game and the overall experience for the client. Wine tastings, a cheerful lounge/bar with mellow live music, a new coffee bar with picnic style food and multiple outdoor sitting areas with avocado wood burning fireplaces are also another way to diversify your stay and really enjoy the outdoor luxurious spaces the resort offers. Last, but not least and certainly most importantly for me - I've only worked Merlyn Taggert at the resort who assists me in booking and the details of my stay. Merlyn has handled her clients this way for as long as I can remember and I'm grateful to see her each time I visit. It's important to me to have a special person who knows you at a large resort like this and engages with you each time you book and arrive. It makes one feel "taken care of" and you can always reach out to her if you need special attention. Patrick.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the middle of the resort so you're close to the main hotel lobby and spa and so y...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Patrick A- Thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate the amount of detail and visual perspective you included in your review. I am confident that other travelers will get a wonderful sense of what Bacara Resort & Spa represents from your thoughts. I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and hope to invite you back in the near future!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I've stayed all over the world, and pretty much all of the hotels in Santa Barbara. Recently we had a slumber party for my 5 year old with five of her friends. The hotel was so great, they let our guests hang out at the pool with us when most hotels don't. Although the hotel is huge, whenever we called for in room service or whatever we needed, it came within 10 minutes not 30 to 45 minutes like other hotels. Gorgeous landscape, right on the beach so you can just walk to the beach if you want within minutes. I found all the staff to be very gracious and welcoming. No attitudes, they were all very accommodating. We just didn't want to leave.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear daniella0328- What a fun occasion for your daughter and her friends! I am always so pleased to hear of memory-making opportunities spent at Bacara. Thank you for choosing us for her special evening! I am glad you enjoyed the pool, service and overall experience. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

Anaheim, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Always enjoy our time at Bacara. Right from the Valet you get treated like the most important guests they have. Really enjoyed the new Bistro for lunch and breakfast. The pool bar was amazing and relaxing by the pool. Spa = world class, hard to beat...enjoyed a late night fire outside of the main bar. Great time as usual!!!

Room Tip: Even partial ocean views are great. We had two different patio's facing the water. the lower y...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Don B- Thank you for taking the time to review Bacara Resort & Spa and deeming us as a "piece of heaven". What a compliment! It is a pleasure to welcome you from Southern California multiple times. I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy the many aspects of the resort- including The Bistro! Hope to see you again soon!

Nice, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Resort is very nice with beautiful gardens and pool. Rooms were large and well equipped. Italian restaurant was very good - went there two nights in a row. Breakfast restaurant also good. Unfortunately sea is not too appealing as their are a lot of oil slicks. After just walking on the beach our feet had oil stains on them. The hotel does hand out product to wipe your feet with afterwards. A bit overpriced.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ethee
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Ethee- Thank you very much for your time and including your review from your stay in July. I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy the different aspects of our resort including gardens, guest rooms, dining and guest rooms. Our locale of the Santa Barbara coast does indeed have a local petroleum processing location. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I appreciate your all of your thoughts and hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future,

Mountain View, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I first visited Bacara about ten years ago for a corporate event and remembered it fondly. We were finally able to visit again this week for a glorious overnight stay. The entire experience, although brief (only one night), was even better than I'd expected. The hotel and grounds are really special, so much beautiful attention to detail. It almost felt as if we were staying in a villa on the coast of Italy!

We were able to pay a small fee to upgrade to a partial ocean view room in Villa 6 (with fireplace). Beautiful room.

We enjoyed a delicious meal at the Bistro restaurant, sitting outside under the stars. The dungeness crab pasta was especially tasty.

Our dog was along with us on the trip, and all of the staff made sure to greet him and chat a bit. It was a nice visit for him too, since there are extensive walking paths and lots of green space. (There was an extra room fee for having a pet)

We are really looking forward to visiting again .... we won't let ten years go by again without returning!

Room Tip: As mentioned in my review, we were able to upgrade to a partial ocean view room. But honestly, the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Karleshyogi- Whether it be ten years ago or a recent experience, we are honored and appreciative to have you as a guest. Thank you immensely for deciding to come back and visit us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Of course we always accept our furry guests as one of our own and I am happy he enjoyed his stay as well! Please come back and visit us again very soon.

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I'd like to share the fantastic recent experience I had with the night crew at the Bacara Hotel in Santa Barbara, so that other travelers can know if they want the most secure, private, and enjoyable time away from home, worry free in every way, that THIS hotel is the place to come !

Of Honorable mention:
Bowen - front desk manager, night shift
Esan - Chief of Security, night shift

Thanks to these two fine gentlemen above, I had the most wonderful guest experience of having 2 people genuinely looking out for my safety and well being, and at the same time ensuring I received the ultimate in 5 star hospitality, being shown superlative consideration and respect in an exemplary, classy style !

I will have to finish or supplement this review later as I have a mtg right now, but I wanted to make sure I acknowledged and credited these fine people, truly gentleman and ambassors of the very finest in sincere hospitality to the highest standards one could hope to expect !
Thankyou, Esan ! Thank you Bowen !

Roy

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Travelschmoid- Thank you for reaching out and sharing your thoughts and your experience at Bacara. The safety and securing of our guests is our top priority. I am confident that our night crew and security team are top notch- and I am glad you gave them recognition via Trip Advisor. I will share your review with Esan and Bowen as they will be delighted to hear from you. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review our resort and look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Kathleen Cochran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Belmond El Encanto
Harbor View Inn
Harbor View Inn
#13 of 51 in Santa Barbara
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,221 reviews

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!