“Love it here!”

The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was our third stay at the Bacara. Always lovely, rooms beautiful and clean. We love being able to walk out of our room in the morning, walk down the hill to the beach, take a long walk on the beach, then back up the hill to one of the restaurants to enjoy a wonderful, healthy (but pricey) breakfast. We like the fact that it is in a quiet part of town and generally only have to share the beach with just a few other walkers.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the ocean or at least the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestRelations M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear travelhappycalif- I appreciate you taking the time to review Bacara Resort & Spa. It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed the close proximity of the beach and took advantage of its beauty with long walks. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us, thank you again for your review!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The people at Bacara were simply amazing. EVERYONE was friendly and beyond helpful. Just one example, a gentleman from Security saw me simply stopping to look at the signage to find my room and set aside where he was going to take me directly to my room, set up my luggage, inquire if I needed anything else. So many other comments from others in my group, they REALLY have something special here! The food was amazing, even in room service which was not only hot and fresh, it was served with such professionalism. I have never seen such a thing! The resort speaks for itself in location and sheer elegant beauty, anyone can see that, but the people were ALL spectacular. Polished, professional, friendly and clearly took great pride in providing an outstanding experience for their guests.

Room Tip: The sound of the waves crashing on the beach gave me such a sound sleep. I heard others saying it w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
GuestRelations M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear WadeB411 - Thank you for taking the time to review the Bacara Resort & Spa. I appreciate your mention of our Security Staff taking that extra step to guide you to your guest room. We take great pride on providing exceptional guest service and appreciate your kind words. I am pleased you enjoyed the meeting, food and locale of your room. Many of our guests enjoy pure relaxation from the sound of lapping waves at our beachfront resort, and I am happy you were able to get a good night's sleep! We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 31, 2014

There is nothing special about this property, it's not luxurious or romantic, and it is well off the beaten path for a place that can't "hold its own" as a destination. There is nothing to do, mediocre food, it is far from the beach, and you can't even see the ocean from most places on the property. The rooms are bland, towels are rough. On the positive side, the staff was lovely and welcoming.

1  Thank LaCanada66
GuestRelations M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear LaCanada66- Thank you for taking the time to review Bacara. Although I appreciate your compliments of our staff being lovely and welcoming, I am concerned that the rest of your stay was not special. I have taken note of your mentions. With regards to not a lot to do- if we have the pleasure to welcome you back to Bacara, I invite you to try the activities available to our guests at or around the resort including treatments at The Spa, wine-country tours, tennis, golf, shopping and more. Our guests in the past have enjoyed these specific aspects of Bacara. Again, I apologize your perception of Bacara was lackluster and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

location: spectacular, can't beat Santa Barbara & the CA coast. Bear in mind though, this resort is about 15 mins north of SB town, not convenient for quick meal out. I didn't eat at Bacara but I'm sure the food is great & no doubt comes with a hefty price tag:). Cocktail bar looked like an after thought, very dated, poor lighting & ambience ... why would you have wine glasses set on the table? my suggestion would be cocktail menu..?? hello!
Rooms: very ordinary for me, for some .. maybe an older Lexus or Buick crowd, they'd find "cozy". Nothing hip or modern at all. Old grandma type mirror frames, light fixtures and furniture in general.
Bathroom: NO tub? are you kidding me?? at these prices and you can't soak in a bathtub? good grief .. & again, super dated ... strange really. Luxury brand soaps etc?? nope. At these prices couldn't they provide Aveda or something a little special ? that's lame.
Pools: two pools but both very very shallow.. dive in and you'd break your neck .. scary.

customer service: a pet peeve of mine ... walk up to check in desk dragging a suitcase ."how can I help you" ? are you kidding me? clearly at 6:00pm I'm here to checkin. What about "welcome to Bacara, are you checking in sir"?

one more thing, the ice machine on 2nd floor/villla 6 is broken. after two calls for ice, no one ever came ..
in full disclosure I booked through hotels tonight .. maybe it's payback time for not paying full price:)

if you have too much money & poor taste, you'll LOVE this place. In fairness to the owners though, i'm sure the overheads here must be mind boggling, between property taxes and other fees to operate it must be a nightmare.

ps. I own a Lexus, comfortable but terribly boring.

2  Thank nick341
GuestRelations M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear nick341- We appreciate, as a Senior Contributor, that you have taken the time to leave us a review. I have taken note of your concerns and suggestions and will review with the team. Our goal at Bacara is not to detour any type of traveler in that we welcome and have catered to all. I am sincerely very sorry you felt your overall experience less than perfect. I hope that one day in the future we have the pleasure to welcome you and give you a better impression of our resort, our amenities and experience. Thank you again for your review,

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Amazing property! Amazing Views! Rooms are so comfortable. All staff is warm, friendly and goes the extra step. We would retreat in the bar every evening and were always happy to see James and Lenin. They were funny, nice to talk to, and were very knowledgeable about the area. I had an wonderful time and I can not wait to return!

1  Thank livsvk

Dear livsvk- What a lovely review! Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed every facet of our resort. I will share your comments about James and Lenin to the team! It is always great to hear feedback about our colleagues that make our guests feel at home and welcome during their stay- the true Bacara experience! I hope that you had safe travels back to Chicago and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

From start to finish, we had a completely lackluster experience. The rooms were generic and nothing special, service was awful, the spa left a lot to be desired and meals as well as activities, parking, spa etc...are overpriced. I highly recommend looking elsewhere and putting the money to use at a real luxury resort.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank lovetravelLA
GuestRelations M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear lovetravelLA- Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We are sorry you found your experience lackluster. It is certainly our intention to provide all of our guests with a wonderful experience and we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. We do appreciate all of your feedback.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Let me introduce myself I am a Glatt Kosher Traveling Caterer and personal chef. I was here with MassMutual 4 years ago 2010 had a great experience when i catered the Kosher part. So i recommended this resort for this new group in Jan 2014 They had a great experience they loved it.. Thank you guys...

Room Tip: I stayed in 2 different sections both were great..
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
GuestRelations M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Hello- I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and share your experience. It was a pleasure to have you back at Bacara. We certainly appreciate your recommendation and support! I hope you enjoy the new year and to see you again in 2014!

Most Sincerely,

Kathleen Cochran

Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Kimpton Canary Hotel
Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta
Spanish Garden Inn
Spanish Garden Inn
#3 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!