This is my letter to the Manager of Bacara to which I never received a reply. After my experience, I didn't really expect one. You be the judge.
Dear Kathleen Cochran:
I know that client feedback is important to you and the hotel in improving the Bacara experience. We checked in last Sunday, October 13. We had used points earned through Hotels.com to pay for two nights of our three nights stay.
On checking in Sunday afternoon (4 pm ish) there was a line 3 deep at the front desk & no one in sight. After about 3-4 minutes one person came out to start the check in process. In the meantime, a disgruntled guest planted himself at the desk in front of those waiting in line to continue his rant ( & threats) at one of your employees.
We walked to our room Villa 2 #2205 . We noticed 3 used water glasses on the floor of the hall near our room. These glasses were moved on Tuesday to the cabinet at the end of our hall, now joined by two dirty red wine glasses. Wednesday a.m. they were still there when I went for a walk (more on that below) and breakfast (more on that below). However, when we left our room at noon to check out they were finally gone. When we got into the room Sunday, there was only one robe so I called housekeeping and ordered another one for a gentleman. They asked what size, I told them Large--A medium robe was delivered.
Breakfast Monday am.--we arrived at 9 a.m. to a not very busy terrace, ordered coffee (which came immediately), two toasted bagels, a bowl of fresh berries and a grapefruit. We had a tee time at Sandpiper at 10:20. At 9:30 we left our table and told the hostess we were leaving, at which time, she told us we had to wait to sign the check for our coffee, then came back and told us our breakfast was now being served. (We left since it was too late at this point. At this time she did not ask for a signature for the coffee.)
That morning (Monday) when we went out, I handed a gentleman at the front desk a note with some things we needed: A Large robe, slippers for the cold, hard tile floor, a price list for the in-room bar and snacks, and I wanted to know if the bottle of Merlot in the room was complimentary. We got the robe. Nothing else. Also, One bar of soap between the basin and the shower was a bit off- putting.
Then, the final touch was after my walk on the beach Wednesday a.m. I got back from the beach, had a nice breakfast and went to my room to get ready to leave. Imagine my distress when I looked at my feet which were covered with spots of oil/tar. In the binder in the room, it states that the oil/tar can be a problem, but it comes off with the wipes located in the room--there were none.
My overall opinion of Bacara is it's a 6 star hotel running on 3 cylinders. Gorgeous setting, amazing. Some of the staff were real winners; others were just doing a job and it showed.
I hope my critique is helpful to you. It's meant to be constructive and not mean spirited. We travel 6 months out of the year-all over the world and stay on some of the finest cruise ships and in some of the finest hotels. We had been so looking forward to our stay at Bacara and were so disappointed.
I waited 3 weeks before posting this--hoping the hotel would reply.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the bluffs and beaches of the Gaviota coast lies a resort of stunning natural beauty and relaxed luxury. With 78 acres of oceanfront property, including two miles of natural beach, Bacara offers an expansive sun-drenched setting with endless vistas of sea and sky. The resort's innovative and artful design is in keeping with the intimacy and aesthetics of a Mediterranean village. Unwind at an award-winning 42,000-square-foot spa and fitness center or relax beside one of three zero-edge swimming pools and 26 private cabanas. The resort's 358 newly-renovated guestrooms and signature suites artfully infuse luxurious interiors with modern technologies for a true sense of comfort. Additional resort amenities include a new oceanfront restaurant, Angel Oak, four Har-Tru clay tennis courts, a Foley wine tasting room, and the adjacent Sandpiper Golf Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bacara Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Barbara Bacara Resort
- Bacara Spa Resort Santa Barbara
- Bacara Resort Santa Barbara Ca
- Bacara Santa Barbara
- Bacara Hotel Santa Barbara