“Relaxing Weekend Getaway”

The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Bacara is such a beautiful resort that I didn't want to leave. Over the weekend, my friends and I stayed in Bacara for two nights to celebrate a close friend's bachelorette party. My friends and I were very impressed by the service, architecture, and the overall ambiance of this hotel. It was such a great experience from start to finish! From the moment we stepped in the hotel, Jon at the front desk took care of us, and we even got to enjoy a complimentary wine tasting in the lobby. The service was so great that when I walked around the resort, a staff member driving a golf cart would ask if I needed a ride somewhere. Also, when I was lounging by the pool and I was complaining about my eyes turning red due to my contacts, one of the staff members overheard me and asked if I needed eye drops. Overall, Bacara is a great resort, and I would love to go back again. Big thanks to Natalie as well for helping me book my reservations.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Kathleen C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for writing about your recent stay for your friend’s bachelorette weekend. We are thrilled that you had a wonderful visit and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Kathleen Cochran

Write a ReviewReviews (2,379)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here, and it exceeded our expectations from the moment we arrived, beginning with a generous room upgrade. The resort's many acres are the perfect place to unwind with a stroll (including the nature trail), as are the pools. Easy drives to Santa Barbara, Montecito, and the wineries around Los Olivos, Santa Ynez, and Solvang.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay for your anniversary. I am thrilled to read that we exceeded your expectations and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

What an amazing hotel! I loved every second of it. From the beautiful views to the extremely professional staff, this will be a frequent stop of ours for years to come. We had a slight hiccup upon arrival but Jon at the front desk took care of us and had us on our way to our room with breathtaking views within minutes. Amazing scenery, pure comfort, relaxing and convenient. Well worth every penny. We will be back soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for writing about your recent stay. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed all that Bacara has to offer and we can’t wait to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Bacara, a lifelong dream for my friend celebrating her 30th birthday. We were thrilled to go all out, knowing we may have to break the bank to do it - we had heard incredible things about the resort, we knew it would be a memorable experience, and we were happy to splurge.

Unfortunately, it was memorable in all the wrong ways. From the second we showed up, we were treated like second-class citizens. Upon check-in, we were barely greeted by a front desk representative. We didn't receive a map of the estate, as I saw other, older guests receiving, nor did we receive basic information such as when check-out is, or how to call for a vehicle to assist us with our luggage.

Another friend joined us later in the evening; we were already out to dinner, and she arrived in the dark - no one offered to help her with her bags, the front desk misplaced the room key we had purposefully set aside for her, and more importantly - they had her walk, by herself, to our room, halfway across the estate, with her luggage, with no assistance. No vehicle to take her, no map to give her, no one to escort her.

The rest of the trip, not only did we discover ants in our room, stains on our sheets, and an awfully poor electrical system - two hairdryers plugged in apparently equals a blown circuit - we continued to receive poor service. The people working the valet stand were exceptionally rude - they didn't offer to help us with our bags when we returned from an outing, or to help us out of the car, and they blatantly ignored us when we tried to get our car. We had been waiting for ten minutes, no one giving us a second glance; an older gentleman and his family popped up, and a valet representative was there to help him instantly.

As it was my friend's birthday, I had gifted her an outside massage at the spa. Due to a previous engagement, she got there right at four, the time of the appointment. She was berated for showing up late, even after apologizing, and was told to change immediately. I purposefully got her a massage between 12 and 5, as advertised on their website, those massage clients were to receive a free mimosa during that time. She did not receive one. When I booked the massage over the phone days earlier, they asked if I wanted to include a tip; as it was a gift, I said yes. When my friend finished her massage, they asked how she would like to pay for her 20% service fee. She was surprised, as was I - the massage and tip had already been included, and there was no mention of a service fee when I booked the appointment. Her actual massage was lovely and relaxing, but the spa representatives were on par with the rest of the customer service at the Bacara - rude.

Finally, when we tried checking out, we were skipped over in line twice. TWICE, we waited to be served, and the front desk representatives looked beyond us, and helped the person behind us. Twice.

Sure, there were other things - I had to call twice to ask for water to be delivered to our room, I got stuck in the infamous SB tar and had to call twice to ask for tar wipes, the latter of which took over an hour.

I don't know if we were treated differently because we were younger, but I was appalled at the poor service we received. I've heard they have new management and perhaps that's the cause; regardless, I was blown away with how rude they were to my friends and me. As someone who works in the travel and hospitality industry, I do receive questions regarding places to stay throughout the US and overseas. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and I will not be staying here again.

7  Thank sara m

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your recent stay for your friend’s birthday 30th birthday. I am truly disappointed that we did not meet and exceed your expectations during your stay. To that end, I have contacted you privately so that I can right any wrongs. I hope that we can connect soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

this hotel is beautiful , very spanish about 15 minutes from santa babara the staff are fabulous from gayle williams at the pool and her team of lovely young pool staff to macy on the front desk , we ended our trip here after a long drive from carmel . i wish i could say i would return , i think if you live in l A i would use this as a weekend away x x x x loved it x x

Room Tip: dont stay in villa 1 over looking the bar
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Kathleen C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit for your family holiday. I am so pleased to read that you found the hotel beautiful and received fabulous service. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

It has always been my dream to stay at the Bacara since I graduated UCSB in 2006. I finally decided to splurge on my 30th birthday and stay here with some friends. Not only was it the worst birthday experience but the worst hotel experience,especially for a hotel that is so talked about. From Check-in to check-out I was treated like a second rate citizen. The person that checked us in was not welcoming in any kind of way. He did not give us any information on anything about the hotel, including the simplest things as when check-out was. The room was ok but not as fabulous as I thought it was going to be. The sheets had stains on them and the circuit blew when we tried to blow dry our hair 2 days in a row. Also, my sister checked-in that night and not only did they not give her any instructions on how to get to our room that was across the estate, but made her find the room carrying her baggage across the hotel in the dark. The Bacara is a big property and I sometimes got lost during the day. I can only imagine how hard it was to find our room in the dark while carrying all her luggage. The worst part of our experience was dealing with the valet service. Not only did they ignore us and help other people before us, but when we asked again for some help, one of the valets abruptly grabbed our slip and grunted rudely at us. We were never helped with our bags when returning from a shopping trip and we always got the wrong vehicle when we asked for a specific one.
Also, my friends got me a very expensive massage at the spa which provided a mimosa with the massage. Not only did I not receive the mimosa but I was reprimanded for showing up at 4pm for my 4pm appointment and not getting there earlier. They also asked how I would like to pay for the 20% service fee. I thought it was a bit surprising I had to pay a 20% fee for a birthday gift massage that I know my friends spent a hefty amount on already. I don't want to take away from the actual massage. The masseuse was great and the actual massage was perfect. So now the end, on the last day I went to wait to check-out. The front desk person asked the gentlemen behind me if he needed any help and brought him up. I thought that was a bit strange so I waited for the next person to open up and once again he offered the man behind me to help him. I made sure he knew I was next but he ignored me and kept helping the man that was behind me in line. It seriously was the worst customer service experience from the moment we checked-in to the moment we checked-out. I thought this was going to be such a great 30th birthday experience, I've even told people that it was a possible marriage location but in the end it was a huge disappointment.
-Amanda from Seattle

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room away from the pool so that you don't have to hear the children...
6  Thank Amanda V

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your birthday weekend. I am sorry to read that we did not meet and exceed your expectations during your stay. I have contacted you private to personally so that I can follow up on each of your concerns. I hope to connect with you soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Every aspect of our three days at the Bacara Resort was exceptional from the breathtaking views of the unspoiled Gaviota coast to the incredible attention and service of a warm, yet entirely professional staff. Both my husband and I received massages and we both agreed that they were undoubtedly one of the best we've experienced. The Resort is the perfect venue to decompress--I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing about your recent stay. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your experience and we hope to welcome you back soon for some more decompression.

Kathleen Cochran

Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Kimpton Canary Hotel
#19 of 52 in Santa Barbara
Hotel Californian
Hotel Californian
#35 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!