“The Bistro Restaurant”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Goleta
Mill Valley, California
“The Bistro Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great service, I mean truly great service, is not easy to come by, but we experienced it at The Bistro. In fact it was so good I would recommend making the trip just to get Ethan as your server.

My wife and I ate there one night (breakfast time was a different story) recently and our server rattled off the specials as crisply as he could recite the names of his family members. As well, he could describe the nuances of any dish as if he were the chef himself. He had the ability to play at that ultra high level yet be down home comfortable when it was clear to him that such familiarity was okay, even desirable.

In fact it was soooooooo good that I fainted from the experience and made my very first ride in an ambulance (I throw in this tidbit only so the staff knows who is writing). To them thank you for the attentiveness; know that I am alive and quite well and learning to deal with very low blood pressure. I was released before midnight and felt great the next morning, as I do right now. Thank you again for the help.

Room Tip: Some views are better than others. Go for it!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for writing about your recent dinner at The Bistro. More importantly, I am happy to read that you are healthy and doing well. We can’t wait to welcome you back for another visit soon.

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked into the Bacara Resort and Spa for three nights to celebrate my Wife's birthday as well as our 1 year wedding anniversary. Kathleen and her team, Nathalie and Merlyn, made sure that our stay was a memorable one. The grounds were well manicured and beautiful, the pools and beach were amazing, and the staff/housekeeping were awesome! I even had the opportunity to get some pointers from Norman in the weight room where they do daily classes - a great guy!

Goleta is about 15 mins North of Santa Barbara, however there are some great little stores near the University about 5-10 mins away.

All in all, a great trip and we won't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent trip for your wife’s birthday and anniversary. I am so pleased to read that you had such a wonderful time for both of your special occasions. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Santa Barbara, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

My girlfriends and I needed a getaway so we opted for a staycation at the fantastic Bacara Resort & Spa! What an incredibly relaxing time we had! We tool full advantage of our time there - using the pool, the spa and running on the beach. It was perfection. I loved my massage therapist, Owen. He made 50 minutes feel like pure heaven! Our room was amazing with views of the pool and ocean. Although we were only there 1 night, we all left feeling like we really had a vacation. As soon as you walk on property, you immediately relax. We loved it!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay-cation at Bacara. I loved reading that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This luxury resort is by far the best choice for stays in Santa Barbara. From the moment you pull up to check in, everyone is happy to see you, and very hospitable.

The Bar, adjacent to the lobby is lively, and the service and menu options are great. Dinner at Bistro restaurant provides a beautiful backdrop for a quiet, lovely evening. Spacious outdoor seating with heaters offers ocean views. The newly decorated interior of Bistro is beautiful and the comfortable inside seating is well thought out.

Try the delicious dinner buffet, with an abundance of fresh, beautifully displayed seafood and accompaniments. For Breakfast, the buffet, again at Bistro is busy, but quickly replenished, and offers many options such as delicous waffles and omelettes any way you can imagine. An abundance of fruit for your enjoyment is also avaialable on the buffet. If you are not a buffet lover, then try the Eggs Benedict, featuring home made Hollandaise - simply delicious.

The guestrooms are spacious and well appointed, with wood beamed ceiling details. The balconies/patios are also furnished with cozy seating, perfect to relax and enjoy a bottle of wine. Luxurious Frette linens and plush towels are a very nice touch. Large in room tub and seperate shower are a nice touch. Ample counter space and plenty of great lighting. The Iphone docking station is also very nice detail! There are alot of beautiful, considerate details to this hotel - too numerous to mention!

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious and well lit. If you like quiet, the garden view rooms are perfect!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for writing such a descriptive account of your recent stay. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed our service, dining and accommodations. We hope to welcome you back soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I really wanted a nice resort break / baby moon trip alone without our other two children before our third was born. We decided on the Bacara because it was nicest most affordable option in the area. I'm about 7.5 months pregnant and was looking forward to relaxing in a nice room and by the pool a lot. Our room sadly was basically in a basement and smelled very musty and maybe even moldy? It was one of the garden level rooms and it was very dark as well. I was pretty upset as we rarely get away and to spend all the time and money we did and end up In a corner basement room was depressing. We asked for a room change or upgrade and were told there were no other rooms but offered a voucher for dinner at Miro (which we turned down as we had dinner reservations elsewhere in town). Also there were always leaves around our door and then a random crib was hanging out in the hallway for more than a day with a mattress and everything - wasn't exactly what we wanted to see every time we came and left our room.

The pools were very nice, the smell of the naturally occurring tar can be a bit overwhelming but didn't bother me the way another smell did - sitting by the pool it smelled almost like they had a continuous mist of bug spray going... I'm chemically sensitive and being pregnant am overly aware of these things so this was another disappointment / it did smell like it was the natural version of insect repellent but I was hoping to smell fresh ocean air.

The positives: the service was great at all the pool, the spa and spa dining and the bistro restaurant. Food was excellent too! The wine and cheese hour was a nice touch and the fitness center was great as well.

I was hoping to fall in love with the place but don't think i would ever want to return because of the room we had. If I knew someone who had to come for a wedding or convention I would suggest they request a non-garden room or at least one that could get some sun.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank MAB123
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay for your baby moon. While I was pleased to read your positive comments about our pools, spa, dining, cuisine and service, I was truly disappointed that you were not pleased with your guest room location. To that end, I have contacted you privately to right any wrong. I hope to connect with you soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

This resort is truly amazing and one-of-a kind! We loved our room, the grounds, pool and restaurants. You feel like royalty here! Celebrated our 15th anniversary here and it was perfection! Want to come back every year! If you want to get away from it all and relax, relax, relax...this is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing about your recent stay for your 15th anniversary. Congratulations. We are so pleased that you had an A+ stay and we can’t wait to welcome you back to relax soon!

Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

A Beautiful resort. The food at the Bistro was Fantastic and all the staff were extremely friendly. Our room was beautiful and perfectly maintained.I will stay here again and will definately recommend the resort to family and friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Danielle S
Thank you for writing about your recent stay at Bacara. I loved reading that you enjoyed our food at The Bistro, friendly service and beautiful grounds. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kathleen Cochran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Belmond El Encanto
#1 of 51 in Santa Barbara
Montecito Inn
Montecito Inn
#18 of 51 in Santa Barbara

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!