“SO DISAPPOINTING”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Los Angeles, California
“SO DISAPPOINTING”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have stayed at Bacara 2 or 3 times in the last few years, but I will not go back after my experience this last weekend. I booked only 1 night through AMEX Fine Hotels and Resorts program, and paid $550 for that one night. It was a holiday weekend, so of course, they did not have a room upgrade to offer, but they also could not accomodate the noon check in time that comes with the AMEX program.

The service at this resort has taken a nose dive. I am only going to focus on a few of the issues we encountered in the 24 hours we were there:

We were on the 3rd floor, and the elevator was broken.

The employee in the gift shop told me that they do not sell gum, because the clientele spits the gum on the ground, and it is too hard to clean up.

Went to a late dinner at Bistro-the food was pretty awful, and one of their chairs completely broke under my friend (who weighs 110 pounds soaking wet). She fell flat on her tail bone, and while they did comp the subpar dinner, they also said they would follow up with her to see how she was doing. They did not complete an incident report, or take down her information, and they of course, did not follow up with her. My friend was here from the East Coast and had to fly home with a bruised tailbone. The corker was that NO ONE inquired how our stay was when we checked out the next day.

I use the Fine Hotels and Resorts program all of the time, and it is almost always a great experience. I am incredibly disappointed that Bacara did not come close to a great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank norgra51
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. As a valued repeat guest, your feedback means so much to us. I am truly disappointed to read that we did not meet and exceed your expectations. I also apologize about that happened with your friend and the lack of follow up. To that end, I have contacted you privately to resolve the matter. I hope that you will give us another chance and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Playa Vista, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place has a lot of promise but also a lot of problems. It’s an attractive venue but the service needs a lot of work.

In the plus column, the reception staff seemed pretty good and the car valets were pretty awesome. Housekeeping also did a great job.

All the other service staff seemed like half trained college kids.

• The first night we got there and it took 10 minutes to get a drink at the lobby bar.
• At the pool the following day we couldn't get a server to take our order so I eventually went to the bar and placed the order myself.
• The specialty cocktail menu isn't very good and none of the mixed drinks we received were all that great.
• We were also there for the 4th of July “BBQ” at the new Bistro. Everything we had was cold and I don’t know how you can call it a BBQ. There was a tray of ribs and a carver station. The stuff on the carver station just tasted roasted, so I ‘m not sure what made your barbecue a barbecue. In short we paid $45 a plate for cold KooKooRoo.
• On our third day we went to the pool and there was nobody there handing out towels. After five minutes of waiting I just went behind the counter and got them myself.

All the staff were very polite, but they also seemed confused or unsure of what they were doing.

A few other things that bothered me.

• The resort fee is supposed to include free internet. While technically true, the free internet in question is only 512. If you want decent internet speeds you have to shell out more cash. I’m used to being nickel and dimed in Vegas, but this was supposed to be a nice resort.
• The bathroom situation is also ridiculous. All the doors are made of wood slats, so everyone can hear everything that transpires in the lavatory.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mchl_larson
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Bacara. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed service from our front desk, valet and housekeeping. I am sorry to that you did not experience the same in other areas of your stay. I am happy to report that the majority of our guests return time and again for both our service and culinary options. I hope that you will give us another chance and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Guest services was terrible; rude and non-professional. They never followed up on simple requests. Bacara is supposed to be a five star resort and spa, with prices extremely high. It has turned into a Disney style resort full of young children screaming dawn till dusk. Huge property, so walking up and down hills to reach the lobby is most unpleasant. Electric carts run between villas and lobby, but we only received a ride upon departure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Philip W
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent visit. I am sorry to read that you had a disappointing stay. I have contacted you privately so that I can personally follow up with your concerns. Thank you for your time.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Prior to writing my review I wanted to take the time to see what others had said and there is a consistent theme here; POOR SERVICE and I couldn't agree more. It is not only poor but inconsistent at best and complacent it appears from the TOP down. Another re-occuring theme is a manager who is constantly apologizing but then one continues to see the same issues popping up.

Bacara is indeed a well appointed property. Though the villas do feel a bit stacked upon one another and I would be very upset at the cost if I received a lower level room especially in bldg 1 like I had that faced the hotel bar area and ballroom area. There were indeed several nights were a quite or restful sleep was hard to come by due to the noise levels. I feel this would be the case for any around the main hotel area and pool areas (a fair number of rooms). The rooms did feel a bit outdated but I was okay with it over all. However a huge pet-peeve of mine is how a 5 star resort can allow such subpar housekeeping service. One day you have all your bathroom amenities re-stocked the next NOT, turndown service one night and not the next, water replaced and then not. My being on the lower level left me prone to seeing all of the maid carts every single time I left or entered my room for a week. The best is when a baby's playpen was left near my door. I took it upstairs to the main entrance to my building and left it in front of the entrance lo and behold it was there the next morning when I departed the property the next morning at 10:30a.m. over 12 hours. A perfect example of an inattentive hotel staff. The indifference is astounding and beyond disappointing and it carries through the entire property. Sadly, I could continue to write about this but you get my point not a 5star experience. I understand they are under new management for about 8 months but did they not retain any of the staff that legend has was superb and why the resort stood out? I am unsure I would EVER stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank TravelTwin71
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns about your recent stay. I apologize that you had a less than desirable experience. I have contacted you privately so that I can personally follow up with your concerns. Thank you for your time and we hope to turn your experience around.

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We made a last minute reservation here after we cut short a horrible 'Glamping' trip. We were really looking forward to a nice place to be pampered and relax... But we had our beloved Akita, Charlie with us and not sure if we could find a luxury hotel that allow pets. So we were pleasantly surprised that we found Bacara!
You do have to put $150 per pet per night and no room there is less than $500, but the service, location and the food are all top notch. They upgraded our room to ocean view with only $60 more, and we got full access to the spa which is to die for! BTW, it's the only ocean front resort in SB. Our dig Charlie loved lying on the large Terrance with the ocean view, and walking down to the beach with us. Not to mention the resturant-Miro and the Sunday branch are both very good...
So although it's expensive, but you get what you paid for :)

• Stayed June 2013
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. We are thrilled that Charlie and your family enjoyed our ocean front setting, easy access to the beach and wonderful cuisine. We hope to welcome you back for many more visits to come!

San Francisco
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed in this beautiful hotel with a dog and 2 kids, and everybody had fun. The beach access is great the and dog loved it. The personal was super nice and the hotel creates a real friendly vibe. Even though its an upscale hotel, everybody is super friendly from guests to the staff. they have tons of things to do on the property besides the pools, like ping pong and horseshoes. There was enough space and beautiful grounds to keep my 2 kids away from electronics at least for a while. Which in my book is a huge plus. There where only 2 things that where not a big deal, but the beds are super soft, but i guess it must be the spa thing, and the spa breakfast was super healthy and small, but again it was for our benefit!! because we felt much healthier, and hungry again after about 2 hours. We where just upset that it was only one day, if I knew better we would have made the Bacara our final stop for this vacation. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with your family. I loved reading about how you all, including the dog, enjoyed our spectacular location and friendly service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. See you soon!

Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Bacara was gorgeous. The location is close to everything but far enough away to make it seem like you are on a luscious island. Highly recommend staying here. The grounds were one of the best paces I have stayed at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Loved reading this! Come back soon! We look forward to welcoming you back for many more stays to come.

Kathleen Cochran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Kimpton Canary Hotel
#6 of 12 in Goleta
Hotel Milo Santa Barbara
Hotel Milo Santa Barbara
#15 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!