WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Bacara Resort & Spa

Bacara Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
Newport Beach, California
“A dog friendly luxury resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We made a last minute reservation here after we cut short a horrible 'Glamping' trip. We were really looking forward to a nice place to be pampered and relax... But we had our beloved Akita, Charlie with us and not sure if we could find a luxury hotel that allow pets. So we were pleasantly surprised that we found Bacara!
You do have to put $150 per pet per night and no room there is less than $500, but the service, location and the food are all top notch. They upgraded our room to ocean view with only $60 more, and we got full access to the spa which is to die for! BTW, it's the only ocean front resort in SB. Our dig Charlie loved lying on the large Terrance with the ocean view, and walking down to the beach with us. Not to mention the resturant-Miro and the Sunday branch are both very good...
So although it's expensive, but you get what you paid for :)

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. We are thrilled that Charlie and your family enjoyed our ocean front setting, easy access to the beach and wonderful cuisine. We hope to welcome you back for many more visits to come!

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed in this beautiful hotel with a dog and 2 kids, and everybody had fun. The beach access is great the and dog loved it. The personal was super nice and the hotel creates a real friendly vibe. Even though its an upscale hotel, everybody is super friendly from guests to the staff. they have tons of things to do on the property besides the pools, like ping pong and horseshoes. There was enough space and beautiful grounds to keep my 2 kids away from electronics at least for a while. Which in my book is a huge plus. There where only 2 things that where not a big deal, but the beds are super soft, but i guess it must be the spa thing, and the spa breakfast was super healthy and small, but again it was for our benefit!! because we felt much healthier, and hungry again after about 2 hours. We where just upset that it was only one day, if I knew better we would have made the Bacara our final stop for this vacation. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with your family. I loved reading about how you all, including the dog, enjoyed our spectacular location and friendly service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. See you soon!

Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Bacara was gorgeous. The location is close to everything but far enough away to make it seem like you are on a luscious island. Highly recommend staying here. The grounds were one of the best paces I have stayed at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Loved reading this! Come back soon! We look forward to welcoming you back for many more stays to come.

San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I didn't know what to expect, but I figured that the service level would be good. I wasn't disappointed. Because I went with a friend, we asked for a room with 2 beds. But I booked through the United Mileage Plus site and that special request didn't go through. The front desk was nice about it, even though they had no rooms available with 2 beds. We got a rollaway for free, which we didn't end up using anyway because it was so clunky.

We used the spa and had great massages. The facilities are large and not too crowded. If you're going to use the spa, try to get a villa close to there. We were in Villa 3, which was really convenient for us, since we also used the Spa Cafe.

I didn't know that the beach had naturally-occurring tar, which is why we had tar wipes in our bathroom. The pools looked great, but we didn't feel like using the main pools, which were filled with kids.

There was only one misstep that I experienced with the Cafe, but I got an apology phone call and they made up for it with complimentary room service. Getting our car was easy too, and the attendants are very responsive. For a $30 resort fee, they'd better be!

I think this is a good option for families with parents who want to use the spa (and have the money to spend). Otherwise, not sure if it's a good resort for a romantic weekend--unless you stay closer to the spa, and further from the main pool area, which is better for families.

Room Tip: Stay closer to the spa if you want to avoid the families with kids.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Lake Forest, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I went for a quick spa getaway to unwind. Trip wasn't very relaxing due to a host of service issues.

Pros:
-The resort is breathtaking. Beautifully landscaped, nice decor. My room made me feel like I'd gone back in time a little bit which I loved.
- The spa is excellent. I had a great session and the lounge areas are nice and comfy. The spa has its own adults only too.
- The Valet was quick and friendly.
- Food was yummy.

Cons: Service issues galore!

- My in room dining menu was missing pages. I called guest service and asked for a full menu so I could order dinner. I was told they would bring one to me " as soon as possible" but 1 hr later- no menu. Another half hour later- still no menu. So fifteen minutes after that I was in my car driving to find a resturant for dinner. The thing was still missing pages when I left the resort.

- I did have the full breakfast menu however, so I ordered breakfast. I was told my meal would arrive in 40 minutes for less. 115 minutes later ( I timed them) I finally had my breakfast. They took off a little on the check for the wait as a gesture, but thats a long time to wait for a waffle and bacon. The next morning my breakfast came within 18 minutes. Very inconsistant.

- They give out a little paper that lists the what's included in the resort fee which includes, among other things, a complimentary bottle of wine and daily water bottles. I did not receive the complimentary bottle of wine until I asked for it. I was drinking from the mini bar instead. Housekeeping came when I was at the spa and my water bottles weren't replaced. I called guest services to report this and when I came back to the room that night I still didn't have them. At night a resort employee happend to knock on my door asking if I was missing wine. I told him that the wine had already been delivered that afternoon, but I didn't get the water bottles. This whole wine/water should never happend at a five star resort.

-I requested turndown service in the afternoon on my second day. I did not receive it. Given their track record thus far, I didn't bother calling to remind them I'd requested turndown.

- I would have loved to lay out at the main pool but they were out of towels when I went down there. I waited for 15 min- still no towels. So I just left and took my chances on the tarry beach instead.

- A dead bug was smeared on the wall of my bathroom when I arrived. There were at least 5 moths floating around in my room, and I saw 2 spiders. The ceilings are pretty high and I couldn't really reach them so I just left them alone.

- My socks were practically black from walking around in my room. Gross. They must not mop the floors very often.

- And the grande finale- check out. This exchange pretty much summed up my experience at the resort. The person who checked me out seemed completely disinterested. He simply said "Hello" and waited for me to speak. He didn't ask "how can I help you" or "what can I do for you", or even " how are you" - nothing. So I told him I was checking out. He says "last name and room number." I gave him the information then silence. He didn't ask if I enjoyed my stay, or thank me for staying, nothing! He just prints out the receipt and lays it on the counter. And then he says "you're all set." Thats it. I've never had such a cold farewell at resort in my life. Completely unacceptable for any hotel , much more so for a "five star" resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank peachyb321
Thank you for writing such a detailed review about your recent stay. While I was happy to read that you enjoyed our breathtaking grounds, Spa, guest rooms and delicious food, I was truly disappointed that we fell short in other areas of your stay. I have contacted you privately so that I can personally follow up with your comments. I hope that we can connect and to welcome you back in the future.

General Manger
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a beautifully appointed property with a very posh appearance. Each room has outdoor space that we could see and it is comfortable to sit out with privacy the way the resort is designed. The bottle of wine they welcome you with is quite pleasant. The room product is fantastic and the mahogany doors are a feature not seen anywhere else. This is a great property for couples but the crowd there is not very kid friendly even though the pool is. Service at the pool is outstanding. The beach needs someone cleaning up the washed up kelp...we were run off by the bugs enjoying the decaying kelp. Overall, an amazing resort for couples and spa retreats.

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice but cooler. If you like warmth choose an inside room to get out of the sea breez...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your recent stay. Our beach is a beautiful ecosystem and in order to maintain its natural beauty and habitat for endangered species nearby, we do not disturb the beach. I apologize about the Kelp and hope this helps you understand why. We hope to welcome you back so that you can enjoy our beautiful property and service.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Beautiful hotel and grounds. The pool staff was awesome and very accommodating
The food was good but kind of pricey, wish they had more restaurants at the resort to chose from but did notice a new bistro was opening in September. But for this size of a resort which is also secluded there should be more options.
We did have some service issues which included the following; calling 3 times to get the bottle of wine that I paided for when I booked our reservation I thought was excessive, they seem very frugal with soap and shampoo, 1 bottle of shampoo and a small bar of soap for a family of four is not enough, let alone trying to get some more takes and act of god. My husband finally tracked someone down. Our tv was not working properly one night and dialing there at-your-service button...we got no answer ( I wasnt surprised). We finally sent our son to the front desk to have someone come down....thought problem on tv was fixed but it was not!!!!
I also love dogs but having dogs in the pool area and restaurant terrace was a big turn off, we also had a dog in the room next to us who was always out back in patio, one of my children is scared of dogs and would never go back on grass area to run around because they always had dog out...
We have traveled to many hotel with the kids and without (at varies price points) and i just felt their service needs some impovement!!
Would i come back and give them a second chance probably But without the kid's.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank ozzydog13
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds, friendly staff and delicious food. I happy to report that we re-opened The Bistro this past week and now offer four different dining options for you to select from. I am sorry that its closure affected your stay. We are a pet friendly hotel, however, dogs should never be allowed at our pool area and I will follow up on my end to ensure that this does not happen again. I am thrilled to read that you will return and hope to welcome you back soon.

Kathleen Cochran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Belmond El Encanto
Harbor View Inn
Harbor View Inn
#13 of 51 in Santa Barbara
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,221 reviews

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!