“Bacara gets better and better!”

The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Reviewed January 10, 2013

As a local, this was my fifth stay at Bacara and I am now staying here exclusively when I am in the area.( I live an hour or so north of Santa Barbara and work downtown and have occasion to stay in the area for work and for fun.)

I am typically looking to feel pampered, relax and have peace and quiet... those are my top priorities and Bacara never disappoints! I have stayed in many of their room types, from the "no ocean view, no fireplace" just a really nice room on the property to the " two balcony with amazing ocean views.. can you believe we're actually here!?" room closest to the ocean. They are all wonderfully appointed, clean and comfortable.

The service is friendly and professional from making the reservation, valet, check in, housekeeping, just all the way around.

After my last visit, I responded to an online survey and actually received a personal response from the General Manager of the property. (After answering MANY surveys over the years, I do realzied that the usual response, if any, is a generic e mail.) I belive Bacara truly cares about their guests having a great experience and about having their guests return time and time again.

Planning a spa day with a girlfriend soon... will post review at that time.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms online and then call the property and explain what you'd like and what your pr...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank beachtravel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,379)

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently returned from a girl's trip to Santa Barbara where we stayed at Bacara Resort. The resort was lovely and didn't disappoint. As others have mentioned, the spa is wonderful and relaxing. They did up-sell us on their services which is a bit disappointing in a resort of this caliber but the extra expense was worth it. Also, I inadvertently left a necklace in my spa robe pocket. Realizing my error, I called the spa and the staff was able to locate my necklace and return it to me that evening. I so appreciated their professionalism and integrity. The fitness classes were also quite good. We took a pilates matt class that left us sore but refreshed! If you are a runner, run on the beach or drive to another trial head as the resort's ocean path doesn't go for more than a mile around the resort. As for the food, we ate breakfast and a dinner at Miro which was very nice and the staff was both helpful and attentive. The accommodations were spacious and comfortable. I look forward to seeing the results of the renovations on a return visit with my family.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank zlmommy
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We loved Bacara! The property is fairly spread out so the family spent a lot of time walking around and exploring. We loved the beach, the sound of the waves from our room, our proximity to one of three large well-heated pools, and the Spa. Our masseuse Jacob was very very good. The spa director Shana was so very nice too. Thank you Bacara. We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: We liked being super close to the pool but those ocean views seem prime.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank EBW_CBH
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I highly recommend the Bacara. We stay their several times a year and always get great service. The property is beautiful and the new ownership is making the effort to update it yet again. The staff is always friendly and the spa is wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Brad G
Kathleen C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your outstanding review. And, we sincerely appreciate your loyalty. We have so many guests who return again and again and again.
We look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

From the moment you arrive, you feel pampered and relaxed. All of the employees can't do enough for you. The setting is magnificent with a variety of buildings holding rooms and suites either overlooking the gardens or the ocean. They have a wonderful spa and very large pool. There are two restaurants---one is overlooking the pool and ocean and the other, Miro, is the fanciest restaurant in the Santa Barbara area also overlooking the ocean. The resort area is a 10 minute drive into Santa Barbara and a bit closer to the wine country than other hotels in Santa Barbara. The highlights in the area include wine country, the great Santa Barbara restaurants, and staying at the Bacara resort. In fact, one could spend several relaxing days just staying at the
resort. Shopping in nearby Montecito is also very nice.
We hope to return for at least a few days every year.

Room Tip: If available try to get a room with an ocean view. It's usually a wonderful sight each morning
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank savvytravelers2

Thank you so much for your outstanding review! It sounds like you were truly able to experience all the great things about Bacara.

We hope you will return soon and often.

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Location is heavenly, views beautiful, great massage at the spa. Other than that, not worth the high price tag for staying at this property. We stayed in village 4 - stained carpets and towels, scratched up elevators and furniture. Very tired looking. I would be embarrassd to sell a room like that for the prices they are asking. Lockers in spas were dirty. Dirt around bottoms of chairs on terrace and between glass and frame on lobby tables. Staff was friendly, but not top notch customer service as we had hoped for a resort in this category. We were pointed in the direction of where things were, but nobody ever took the next step to accompany us personally or to offer to find someone else to guide us.
If you do find yourself at this resort for a conference, the roof of the spa is a nice respite, and the view from the terrace at Miro is beautiful. I would recommend the Langham in Pasadena and the Four Seasons Westlake over this property for a SoCal weekend luxury getaway.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Supertravelmom2

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I have also sent you a private message in an attempt to get more specific information on your guest room. It certainly does not sound up to our normal excellent standards and I sincerely apologize. Please know that your comments will be directed to the appropriate departments to help ensure that your experience is not repeated. Your constructive criticism is a gift to us, and we intend to make the most of it. Thank you.

I hope to have the opportunity of speaking with you soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

First words that come to mind...BEAUTIFUL, AWESOME, 5 STAR! Like the title says this was a idealistic setting for us. Beautiful ocean views, good dining, excellent service. Never stayed here before but definitly recommend! There "enhancing" some of the rooms but it did not bother our stay at all. You can see which buildings are being remodeled because they are all covered. The staff are extremely friendly. I would highly suggest speaking with the hotel superiors(Cody and Kendrik) for anything you might need during your stay. The word "no" isn't in these guys vocabulary and its awesome!! This is the kind of service you expect paying $350 plus a night for a room. Unfortunately, we have stayed at places double the price and did not get this quality of service. I stayed in a village room. Nice, clean, modern, spacious with decent views of the grounds and pool. Great resort!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the "enhancements" although it did not hinder our stay at all and...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sarah P

Thank you so much for all your kind comments. We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to make a better Bacara. We have taken much care during our enhancement phase and I am glad to hear this was successful.

We hope you will return soon.

Kathleen Cochran

Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Kimpton Canary Hotel
#18 of 52 in Santa Barbara
Hotel Californian
Hotel Californian
#35 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!