“Gorgeous property and the most amazing SPA!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bacara Resort & Spa

Bacara Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
Santa Monica, California
“Gorgeous property and the most amazing SPA!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Went for relaxation and rejuvenation..exactly what I was looking for and more! The accommodations are superb and Shana Ominsky the Spa Director was incredibly helpful when choosing which spa therapies (yes I treated myself!) would work best for me. She was generous with her time, and after having a most incredible swedish sports massage, facial, and the hot oil scalp treatment (divine) I lounged by the spa pool after with a lovely local crisp chardonnay. It was all so fantastic. When you go, ask to see Shana or talk to her before your arrival..Bacara spa is a little trip to heaven! Thanks Bacara staff and Shana Ominsky. I can't wait to come back..for the hot stone therapy massage! And they also have great yoga classes:)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank beachbhalla
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your 5 Star review of Bacara! And in particular, our world class Spa. We are delighted to read you had such a wonderful experience and we do hope you will return often.

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
Lake Placid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Hotel is beautiful....pool area.. Restaurants. Service was 50/50... Manager of Hotel, Manager of restaurant, girls at pool bar were terrific! Very welcoming and genuine. Others were exact opposite... Front desk at checkout very apathetic, bartenders a bit too snobby, thus not relaxing and inviting. Bed not very comfortable with extremely heavy comforter that did not fit the climate there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review of Bacara. While I am glad to read you had a wonderful visit-I was disappointed to learn that you had some issues with our staff. Please know that your comments are so very helpful and your feedback is important to us. We use this information to train and retrain our staff.

Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here along our trip up the coast. I was so excited to stay here after wanting to stay here for years after hearing so much about it. Anyway sadly to say we were less than impressed by this hotel.
We arrived right at check in time and our room wasnt ready. So we decided to go to lunch at the hotel. The lunch was very good here! We both ordered sandwhiches which were so amazing especially the grilled chicken. However, the glasss of wine was $17 on their lunch menu! We thought maybe it was a mistake on their menu. Needless to say we skipped having a glass of wine here. Anyway then after some time we get a call saying our room is ready. We were put on the very far side of the resort and outside our room was very very noisy. We were right next to a big group of people hanging outside the grass area and we also heard a lot of traffic noise and horns. It was really awful and the room didnt have a view which they said it would. Anyway we quickly changed rooms as it was much too loud outside. The next room was a lot better, very close to their pool. The resort itself was very beautiful, especially the pool area! However, the rooms were less than impressive being old and worn looking. Another downside to this hotel was that it was so huge and too spread out. Way too big for me and I tend to like bigger places. It took a lot of time walking from place to place around the resort.
That night we had a wonderful dinner at their restaurant Miro. Amazing views and amazing food!! A very beautiful and romantic restaurant! I would suggest going here at sunset time. We thought by far Miro was the best part of this hotel stay. The beach on the hotel is also great for a stroll before or after having dinner here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and constructive comments. I am glad to read that you enjoyed many aspects of the resort. Our food and beverage offerings are most definitely a highlight for our world class resort. We hope you will come back to see us. Please also know that while we are on 80 acres, we do have golf carts always available to come get you!

Laguna Niguel, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband surprised me with a weekend getaway at this resort for my 50th birthday but unfortunately the weekend was not quite the bespoke experience that I was expecting. My check- in experience was fine, staff were attentive and friendly. The room was clean and well decorated but upon opening the patio door, we discovered that the room was on the main path and we were looking onto a building that was under construction ( we were never told this at check in, would we have been given an upgrade if we had asked?). We went to the complimentary wine tasting in the lobby which was a lovely experience, the winery employees seemed to be more friendly than the resort staff. We decided to have a casual dinner in the bar lounge but at this point things started to go downhill. We sat at the only available table covered with dirty glasses and plates, not one member of staff attempted to make eye contact with us even though they constantly passed our table on the way to the bar while assisting other guests. What seemed like an eternity (10 mins) we decided to see if we might get better service at the bar.
Again we were not acknowledged!!!!!! 5 minutes passed and I finally had to ask the bartender for assistance. We felt totally ignored, and unwelcome. I would have experienced better service at the local beer pub. Overall we had a good not great weekend. Not sure if I will return any time soon!

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not look out onto the construction.Try to get a ocean view room. Pathways a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Patrick R
I was pleased to read that you did enjoy many aspects of the resort including your room and our complimentary wine tasting. However, it’s very concerning to learn about your service experience from our staff. Please be assured that I have passed along your comments to my managers to ensure this type of behavior is not tolerated. I have also sent you a private message to discuss this further.

West Hollywood, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at Bacara for a nice little getaway and it was wonderful. The property is absolutely gorgeous. The resort is renovating a few buildings, but it didn't really hinder our experience. After check-in, we were taken by golf cart to our villa and shown to our room which was very well-appointed. A big, comfortable bed and luxurious bathroom with separate shower and tub. A spacious balcony, too.

The staff was very attentive and friendly and we always felt taken care of. My only small hang-up was that our room overlooked the pool, so the majority of noise we heard during the day was pool activity and loud children.

Overall a very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Try for a room that is not overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your excellent review. And, I am so glad you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry you were disturbed by noise at the pool. When you return, please be sure to request a room in a villa away from that location. With 80 acres-we have lots of options.

bsearched
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I ended up staying here on a business trip. The grounds are beautiful and they keep it clean and very well maintained. I wasnt there during peak season or anything so it was quiet and not many people around, which was nice.
It was awesome to wake up and go for a walk along the coast in the brisk morning air. Just beautiful.
The Villas were comfortable and roomy for one or two people.
The only complaint I would have is that I arrived, got to my room, and wanted to relax a little bit by sitting at the bar. It was only 4pm and I was the only person in the bar. I found it strange that the bar tender served me my drink and then he would either walk away to another room or sit and talk with the girl folding napkins. Then every few minutes he would come by and ask how I was doing and away he would go. He was very polite but think it would have been a little more professional if he chatted with me instead of another working or continually walking into the other room. I did not reduce the overall rating because of it, but if others start posting the same thing, then you will know whether it was a one time issue or a continuing problem.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bsearched
Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am so pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable visit. And, please accept my apologies for the service issue by the pool. I have passed along your feedback to our Director of F & B to ensure this does not happen again.

West Palm Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at Bacara for a long weekend and loved everything the resort had to offer. Our room had a private terrace where we had room service breakfast and enjoyed the views of the ocean. The quiet Spa Pool was so relaxing, the Fitness Center was huge and had all the equipment you could ask for. Miro' was great for breakfast and also had an outdoor patio with amazing views. Over the weekend there was a function at the main pool and the entire resort was lit with candles along the walkways. The grounds were absoutely beautiful. We would definitely stay again on our next visit to CA. They also had several fitness and daily wellness activities but we relaxed and will have to try them next time.

Room Tip: All rooms have a outdoor terrace, but definitely get a room/suite with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Isa l
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am so pleased to read that your enjoyed all we have to offer and we hope you will return often.

Kathleen Cochran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Belmond El Encanto
#1 of 51 in Santa Barbara
Montecito Inn
Montecito Inn
#16 of 51 in Santa Barbara

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!