“Should have read Tripadvisor” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Bacara Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
Malibu, California
“Should have read Tripadvisor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our stay at Bacara was noisy, waited for most everything, terrible restaurant service at their only restaurant and bland food. Seems this wasn't just bad timing or bad luck like I thought after leaving Bacara until I read the numerous bad reviews about Bacara on this Tripadvisor. This seems to be shared by many and I only wish I had done my reading before our trip to Bacara. I felt compelled to write this review, which is something I never do, because of the deceiving manner in which management handled our whole stay. A comp stay back just doesn't cut my time wasted. I rarely visit Santa Barbara and I know I will never be back to Bacara. If you are planning to stay here, strong advise is to read all the reviews in this Tripadvisor. I plan to make sure my family and friends do the same. I know those in our group also wish the same.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Rick O
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I have sent you a private message and hope you respond so I might be in touch with you to try to right a wrong. On Trip Advisor, you will find that 98% of our reviewers truly love spending time here. I know we are very capable of meeting the public's highest standards. I am just sorry you did not have that same experience.

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We went to Bacara Resort for a
girls spa and vineyard weekend.
Each morning, I couldn't quit talking about how the Pacific Ocean, Bacara and the spa were so beautiful!
Shana, in the spa treated us like VIPs!
She was so thoughtful she even had champagne on ice for us before we had our services. The arnica massage I received was so relaxing I feel asleep.
My experience at the Bacara Spa was the finest! I want to go back again soon.
May

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Alpinemay
Thank you so much for your kind comments and words of praise for our manager Shana. She does really exemplify the kind of guest service we are proud to provide.

We hope you will return often.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

A must see to believe. Bacara was absolutely beautiful. A perfect get-away paradise, may it be with your spouse or your family. My husband and I went there for a quick weekend. We did not want to leave. The rooms are amazing as are the grounds. Yes, there are areas that are under construction, but it did not effect our experience at all. Just peaks my curiosity of the final product to come. Our experience with the staff was great. We ordered room service the first night we were there and I thought their salmon salad that we ordred was great. Since this was a short trip for us, I know we will be back....LG from San Diego.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda G
Thanks so much for your kind review. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope you will return again soon.

Shell Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Attention to detail in every respect.. Starting with the warm reception from the valet service staff to the wait staff poolside. in my 30 years of Global travel I've never experienced a finer staff and wonderful experience then at Bacara..

Start with a workout in the enormous SPA facility, walk on the beach and follow it in one of the pools.. Must haves during your visit... Bloody Mary's and Fish Tacos.. The resort is secluded away from the hustle of major metropolitan yet within a quick drive in between LA and SF. Add this location to your next need for "Me or Us time".

Regards

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank CoastalCouple_10
Thank so much for your kind words about your experience at Bacara.

We hope you will come visit us again soon.

san francisco, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I will start with the obvious - the rooms are gorgeous. They are spacious, well appointed, with a large outdoor terrace and a fireplace. The bed is super comfortable. I was just tempted to stay in our room the whole time. However, once you venture outside, things change. Many buildings are under construction and this completely ruins the atmosphere. Right off the ocean shore and facing the hotel is a big oil rig (or at least something that looks like an oil rig). And, the clincher, the hotel is sitting next to some creepy looking plant. I wasn't sure whether it was a sewage plant, a chemical plant... Also, from what I understand this a popular venue for large events such as weddings. During our stay they had a big wedding that started nice enough with crowds of well dressed people wondering the paths of the resort. However, it ended at 2am with drunken shouts outside of our room. That was not good at all. So to conclude, the room is great but is it great enough to disregard what's going on outside? I am not sure. Hence 3 stars.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to read that our enhancement project affected your stay in any way. However, I am happy to read that you enjoyed many aspects of the resort. All up and down the coast of Southern California you will find oil rigs as our region is so rich in the natural resource. Again, I am sorry if you were unfamiliar with this and that you found this unappealing.
We hope you will consider giving us another try.

Los Angeles, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband had made our 15 year anniversary. I was very excited that he had taken the ignitionative. I know that it made him feel good. We got to the room and I was a little upset that on our 15 year anniversary we were it in a room surrounded by construction remodeling. Every view was construction!! Also, our "romantic patio" was on the main path to the main pool area. I didn't say a thing, so not to ruin our special weekend. Okay, I held my tongue because I didn't want to set a bad mood for our special weekend and make him feel bad. The night we got there, there were only a couple options for dinner. We decided to go to the hotel bar as one on the two options that was given to us. There was a wedding on site that night and the other main restaurant was closed for remodeling. We sat in the bar for 20 minutes before we were approached by a waiter. In fact we had to flag her down after giving up on someone coming to us. She was very nice and apologized. We waited 40 minutes for our order. In 40 minutes the waitress gave us some sushi that we didn't order because the sushi pizza we ordered was given to the wrong table. We received our order 20 minutes later.
At our room, surrounded by construction, my husband went to the ice machine in our building for ice. The ice machine wasn't working. He was aproached by a resort employee and was told he could get him ice. We waited 20 minutes, no ice. My husband went to find ice somewhere else and was stopped by another employee, who told him he would get him ice....nope. 30 minutes later I called roomservice who told me there was a building a few minutes away from me that I could get ice, since my building's ice machine wasn't working. My husband and I had just gotten out of the shower so I asked if ice could be brought to the room. I'm a very tolerant person because I have a lot a experience in the service industry. Yes, that may also frustrate me because I do see the problems service and the lack ther of...
The second day started off nice. I went to the spa. I can't respond on the services there because I served myself to the amenities. I didn't need anymore disappointments. I loved the amenities. My husband and I went to the pool where we had the same problems with service. Same problem with the ping pong table area. No amenities and hard to find service or help. We went to the main restaurant that night. We sat at the bar waiting for service. The manager completely ignored us. I felt as though the management staff was very intimidated by the guest. As though they knew they were not aquipt to handle the demands of the guest It was very odd. There was no eye contact at all by any of the staff or management. I was completely dumbfounded Not okay, for a resort of this stature.
Unfortunately, this turned out to not be the anniversary we were hoping for. It was a very big disappoint. It was more of a disappointment for my husband because of all the many problems we had cause me to express all the thoughts I had with our stay. This ruined our 15th anniversary.

Although, the grounds were gorgeous, I will tell everyone I know not to waste the money on this resort. There are many more resorts that are more worthy. Many, many more!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Pooshu1986
Thank you for your valuable feedback. And, I am so very sorry you experienced any service issues. I have been in contact with your husband and very much appreciate the openness you both have to giving us another chance. Thanks to all the details you both provided, I will be able to follow up on every one of them with my staff and their supervisors.
I look forward to meeting you personally upon your return.

Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Planned a getaway for fun and had planned in advance. I chose this hotel because it is on the Amex Fine Hotels list. What I did not know was that they are under construction on many buildings and one restaurant was closed due to this rennovation. I was dissapointed that I did not get an upgrade, got a room that was very dark and a handicap bathroom with zero counter space. I had planned this trip in advance with my daughter and did not want a King bed as we are both adults, so no upgrade. I am used to getting substantial upgrades at the Ritz and once at the Kea Lani Maui. With a conference and a wedding going on, I felt as if we fell to the bottom of the list. I will say that the room was clean and quiet.

I really was torn with staying in Goleta or in Santa Barbara proper. On the pro side, it is a quiet resort in a beautiful setting; on the con a cab ride to Santa Barbara can be very pricey. The staff was overall very nice and the pool area is beautiful. Nice spa as well. There is direct beach access from the property, no highway between as is mostly the case in Santa Barbara.

The main restaurant, Miro, had a breakfast buffet that was okay, lots of choices but some of the dishes were just bland. The view from this restaurant is beautiful and the staff is very accommodating.

At the end of the day, I wish I would have chosen the Four Seasons but they were booked as well so you never know. I will remember to ask about construction from now on and not settle for a limited bathroom.

Room Tip: Request ocean view and top floor. They do have shuttles to help you to your room if you need as the...