“10 Acres of food as an Artform.”
Review of Fairview Gardens

Fairview Gardens
Ranked #6 of 33 things to do in Goleta
More attraction details
Owner description: Come visit the farm! Founded in 1895, Fairview Gardens is one of the oldest organic farms in southern California and preserved for all to enjoy. Fairview Gardens is a non-profit organization and plays a unique role in the community, providing its neighbors with food, educational events, and a connection to the land. Pack a picnic, visit our farm stand, and take a self-guided tour through our fruit orchards and open space. Bring a camera and get ready for some delicious fun.
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I recently attended a Sunday lunch and tour at Fairview Gardens. The farm is small, all organic, and the staff seems more like a family than workers. The menu was extensive, as orchestrated by local chef Erik Stenberg. 90% of the fare was grown on their property and supplemented with food (such as dates and raisins) from other local farms. Some menu items were Raw Kale-walnut date salad; Lemon-marinated kohlrabi with fava beans; and Roasted beets with farm eggs, olive oil green onion, and candied lemon peel!

The conversation during the meal was stimulating, and I found I was in company with many like-minded individuals. We exchanged thoughts on food preparation all the way to food politics. Additionally, I am a raw foodist and found there to be plenty for me to eat in the meal (as well as vegan options- everything was vegetarian).

I had an incredible time and am looking forward to more farm Sunday lunches. I hear there is acoustic music in mind in the future, as well as another diverse menu.

3  Thank pandastomp

Reviewed April 13, 2010

We attended an open house recently and were treated to a tour of the farm's Organic growing practices, tasted fresh veggies and berries from the field and then enjoyed a spectacularly delicious meal of fresh picked food off of the farm. Eric was our Chef and Toby Mc Partland showed us the dirt. We joined with others invited to visit who regularly purchase from their Farmer's market stand on Wednesdays in Santa Monica. I'm a committed customer now - even though I'll be driving 40 miles to get there.

Don't forget to buy some thing fresh to take home from the Farm Stand which is always available on the honor system.

Chuck
Thousand Oaks, CA

2  Thank ctbarth11
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Fairview Gardens produces some of the most amazing food in the Santa Barbara area. If you are concerned with where your food comes from, environmental issues, or food security and sustainability, you should make a stop at the farm--either to bum around and check out the produce and goats or just to buy some delicious seasonal organic foods!

Reviewed April 12, 2010

The farm is welcoming, colorful, lively and earthy. Its user friendly tour is a must see and their fresh vegetables and fruits are delicious.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 12, 2010

An abundance of different crops, interspersed with mobile chicken coops, and rows of blossoming fruit trees, with a beautiful centenary farmhouse, and yurts for some of the family of laborers who have been working this land for decades. The tour was given by the farm manager, who was passionate about what he is doing. After the tour, we feasted on the most amazing meal, prepared with produce from the farm, possibly the best meal I've had in about 10 years, and I've tried restaurants all over the world! This is a farm with a very strong outreach program and a beautiful purpose, please support it in any way you can!

1  Thank outoftheboxcollectiv