“Odd motel”

Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Goleta
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Reviewed April 26, 2009

I'm not a motel/hotel snob. Basically all I want is a clean, safe, secure place to shower and sleep. A comfortable bed is also nice. I usually stay in cheaper motels/hotels (after checking them out on Trip Advisor).

This place was just odd.

The room was sparten at best. It had a jail cell feel to it. No carpeting, hard laminate floors instead, which gave the room an echo.

The room was clean enough. No signs of vermin or bugs.

Very basic room. A bed, small table, shower/tub, small sink area. No closet, just a few hangers. The shower was of a decent size and had decent water pressure. However it seemed like forever before the water temperature got past luke warm. The bathroom towlels were skimpy at best, and I had no wash cloth. When I tried to hang the towels on the towel rack it fell off the wall.

Large flat panel TV on the wall.

No fridge, clock or hair dryer in the room. They charge for WiFi, but at $2.99 for 24 hours I guess it's cheap enough. Although free would be better.

The bed was as comfortable as a cheap motel bed can be. Not the best or worst bed I've slept in. At least I didn't wake up body sore and stiff like I have in the past.

I had a non-smoking room, but there seemed to be a faint smell of cig smoke when I first went into the room.

The hotel is between the very busy 101 freeway and a main street. There is some road noise but I didn't find it distracting. The walls are thin and everytime the people in the room above me walked around it sounded like a herd of elephants. Thankfully I brought ear plugs with me.

There was a tempuratture control on the wall. However it didn't seem to work. All I could get it to do was turn the fan from low to high.

Walgreens is directly across the street. Right next to the motel is a Long's Drugs, Subway and Albertson's. All within easy walking distance.

This is an ok place to stay for one night . I'd recommend it for a single traveler or maybe a couple as the room is small. Any more then two people in the room and you'd be bumping into each other.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank PONYRCR

Reviewed March 30, 2009

Rooms have been remodeled with platform beds, (cheap) flat screen tv's, nice granite bathroom vanities. Clean, small, comfortable. Little noisey, but quiet at night.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Spent one night here after a midnight arrival in Santa Barbara Airport, needing an inexpensive place to sleep close to the airport. Like most motels in this chain, this one met that need perfectly adequately. It's just a kilometer from the terminal, and the total cost to spend a night was $72. Note, however, that cabs from the airport to nearby lodging have a set fee of $15 plus tip.

The 2nd story room was small, spartan, quiet, clean, functional, adequately stocked, and featured phone (free local calls), full bath, two double beds, large flat-panel TV, and 62 channel cable. Wi-fi Internet access would be available for a fee. The front desk was friendly, helpful, and professional. There are several stores and restaurants within a couple blocks of here, and a Santa Barbara Metro Transit stop is at the corner of Calle Real and Fairview. The pool area appeared clean, but probably designed for families.

Not a place if you want luxury or wild parties, but it's a place to hang your head at the end of the day.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2008

This motel was good. I did research on Trip Advisor for a reasonable motel in the Santa Barbara area for my mom and I for the weekend - this was rated not too bad. The room was clean. Not super close to downtown Santa Barbara - but in reasonable driving distance. Walgreens, gas stations, Denny's and other grocery stores/restaurants were close by. My mom and I both had a good time there.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed August 25, 2005

After contracting a horrible head cold and both my ears blocking, my husband and I had to postpone our trip to Santa Barbara which resulted in us losing our original hotel selection. When we rescheduled for 4 days in August, we could not find vacancy in Santa Barbara. This resulted in an exhaustive search - the only place that had vacancy was the Motel 6 in Goleta which is 10 miles north on Highway 101 from Santa Barbara.

Thursday night was $79 and Friday and Saturday nights were $109. I thought $109 a tad steep considering the accomondations. The positives: motel had a nice, clean pool with ample chairs and tables around the pool to sit and relax. The front desk staff was very friendly and fairly knowledgable about the area. There is a Walgreen's across the street which was convenient. There were laundry facilities if you need to do laundry. There is a Rite Aid, Starbucks, Vons grocery store, gas station, bowling alley (kids friendly) and 2 sushi restaurants within blocks away. The television worked fine, parking lot is free, the air conditioning worked well, the room was clean and the queen sized bed was comfortable.

Negatives: The motel was loud. It seemed to be at full capacity every night and many people let their children run around the property on skate board, yelling, etc. The walls are thin and we could hear our neighbors pretty well. The rooms do not have any closets, dressers, coffee makers, clocks, blow dryers, ironing boards or irons. And the Motel 6 soap bars are not much larger than a pack of matches.

All and all, we weren't in the room too much. We rented a car and drove into Santa Barbara and the outlying areas. We spend one full day on a 6 hour wine tour (operated by Cloud Climber Jeeps). The tour was fantastic and we'd highly recommend it. They'll pick you up at the Motel 6 so you don't have to drink and drive. The tour guide was very friendly and informative and you go into the Santa Ynez mountain area and the scenic beauty of the drive is worth it alone, as well as the winery tours.

So if you don't want to shell out over $200 for a room in Santa Barbara and you want a clean room to sleep and shower in, this is a good option. If you like some amentities and require a quiet property, this isn't for you.

6  Thank lisak64
Reviewed March 17, 2005

Motel 6 is your basic cheap motel. Tiny room, paper-thin walls, less-than-stellar service. This much I expected, but my real problems began in the AM. I was awakened by a wake-up call 2 hours earlier than when I had requested. The wake-up call for the time I had requested never happened. This could have been disasterous as I was in town for an interview, so my advice is to pack an alarm clock.

Then things really went down hill. When I attempted to turn on the shower I realized that the water had been shut off. After letting the phone ring upwards of 10 times, the person at the front desk was minimally helpful. In a near state of panic, I called the customer service 1-800 number for Motel 6 and was told that only the local manager was responsible for handling the issue. Finally, 15 minutes later, the water came back on and I, completely frazzled by this point and running behind schedule for my interview, was able to turn the faucet on to take a shower.

Why was I not warned, either during the night or that morning, that the water was to be shut off for repairs? Why could the repairs not have taken place during the afternoon when fewer guests would be impacted? Be forewarned. It's not worth the $10 you'll save staying in this dump.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank Madge66
Reviewed September 26, 2004

A last minute trip found myself without a hotel to stay in the greater Santa Barbara area on a busy weekend. Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Goleta was the only choice I had. The one night I stayed here turned out to be quite good. It was sufficient lodging. The rooms were fairly clean and access to the nearby attractions were good. The noise level is a little distraction, as there's a 24 hour bowling alley next door and a busy street on the other side. Some of the clientele wasn't too "well behaved" either, however, the service was quite friendly. It was a good place just to crash in when you don't have anywhere else to turn or if you're really budget conscious.

8  Thank Travelutioneer