“Great Mexican food in a Family Setting”
Review of Mauricio's

Mauricio's
Ranked #13 of 115 Restaurants in Glendora
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Oregon Coast, Oregon
“Great Mexican food in a Family Setting”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

When in Glendora, find your way to Mauricio's, located in an old shopping center at the east end of town. Mauricio, the owner, and his friendly and efficient staff put together great meals seven days a week.

You can't go wrong with any of the combination plates, all between $6-10. Combined with a plate of chips and two sauces, the combo plates are filling and delicious. I'm partially to the beef taquitos at $8.50.

Surprisingly, Mauricio's also makes pizza, which is not on the menu. Ask, and be pleasantly surprised!

• Visited September 2012

San Dimas, CA
“Where have you been???”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

You know how you look for that great "hole in the wall" place where the locals go? This is it! Situated in a sleepy 60's "ghost town-esque" shopping center located on Rte 66, I'd never given this place a second thought as I patronized the groomer's on one side and cake supply place on the other. One day I brought my niece to the A&J Cakes next door (EXCELLENT place for cake supplies, btw), and she asked if we could go to the Mexican place for lunch. Wanting to encourage a sense of adventure, I said, "Sure! Why not?" We went home to get my husband, and we've been loyal patrons ever since!

Walk past the outdoor eating area, and through the front door into a festive atmosphere where you are greeted by Mauricio with an enthusiastic (and oddly genuine), "Where've you been?!" Not to get too 'deep,' but there's definitely something healing to the soul after a long day/week to go somewhere and be welcomed. The atmosphere is festive, and it's a nice place to leave your cares at the door. There are usually family groups enjoying a meal together, and I've even seen what looks like local youth teams in there for lunch. This place really seems to attract the community. Maurico's also caters and has catered local events.

The exterior is a little deceptive, but the interior has undergone quite a welcome metamorphosis since we first ate there. What used to be a "restaurant in a shopping center" feel has become a much warmer restaurant feel. We've gone in there both in our work clothes and in casual and you don't ever feel out of place.

Now the food: In another review, I mentioned a place in Tucson where they make table side salsa, but this place makes table side guacamole. Oh Lord, this stuff is GOOD. My husband and I shamelessly polish off the entire molcajete with ease. Salsa is also a very big deal for me when we visit a Mexican restaurant, and Mauricio's has nothing to worry about. The salsa is delicious, and they serve you with both a hot and mild when you sit down. GONE. GONE, I say.

I've enjoyed the chimichangas and the flautas, as well as the enchiladas rancheras. Another favorite is the chili verde. Love it. My husband loves to get the chile rellanos. The menu is not overwhelming, and features all the usual combinations, etc, as well as specialties of the house. I'd recommend getting the guacamole table side, especially if it's a special occasion or if you have a group. Sometimes it's really busy, and we had to wait a little for the guac once (I think it was rather late, too), but just an FYI. Even if it's busy, though, Mauricio bends over backwards to accommodate his guests.

In the beginning I was only disappointed with the margaritas (also a big deal for me), because they tasted like they were using a mix. The disappointment lay in the fact that, after the great food, great salsa and great guacamole, the margarita seemed to be ignored. In time, however, the flavor seems to have improved. I asked if they changed their recipe, but was told no, so maybe it's just me? I recall thinking if they had a nice signature margarita (I'll give them the recipe I use!), then we'd have the food, the salsa AND the margarita -- the trifecta!

Oddly, there is also a pizza menu, but I have never tried that!

The food is delicious, the prices don't break the bank, and you leave happy. It's like having a friend who owns the restaurant down the street! How can you not enjoy a place where the owner greets you when you come in, and says as you leave, "See you tomorrow, huh?" Hmmm... think I know where we're going for dinner tonight!

• Visited February 2012