“Beware if temperature outside is around 65F” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Vagabond Inn - Glendale
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
SF
“Beware if temperature outside is around 65F”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

It's not a bad place but beware. They are not only d/c air conditioning when OUTSIDE temperature is below 65F- they put heater instead on you- unsuspecting sleeping guest. I jumped off a bed barely able to breeze when room temperature was approaching, I believe, at least 100F. It's like automatically providing somebody with medication based not on temperature in a his mouth , but on a streets around. It's a nice place to stay when it is either hot or cold.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank directflight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

I have stayed here many times and am always pleased with my room service and the hotel is always very quiet never too noisy or a lot of traffic very close to alot of retail store the mall and lots of food places. I would highly recommend staying here if you are in the glendale area

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

Wow! I must say that I was impressed with this motel! As I walked through the door I was greeted by the lovely manager and right away I knew it was goona be a great hotel to stay at, especially with the holidays and rose parade on the way. During our brief stay my wife and I experienced little or no troubles at all. The mall is right across the street full of great stores and entertainment for the whole family. And a great resturant a few steps away from the inn know as Foxy's, who served breakfeast lunch and dinner. The staff was extremly friendly and helpful and their rooms were clean and tidey. Overall we enjoyed our stay there especially at their prices.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smiles4Miles86
Moreno Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

I booked my double queen, double occupancy room through Booking.com on February 4, 2010 for a December 31 reservation at a rate of $109 for the night. I booked it early to get the best possible rate. In early December, I received an email from Booking.com stating that my reservation had been modified to a price of $189 (which is against the law after you have received a confirmation).

I immediately called Booking.com's customer service and was told that any modifications to the price come from the hotel. I called the hotel early the following morning and spoke to a hotel employee who told me that perhaps the correct room rate for a New Year's Eve booking had not been uploaded properly on Booking.com's site (not my problem), and I should call back later and talk to the manager, Joanna, about the price change. He assured me that my reservation was intact and the situation could be rectified.

When I arrived home from work that same day, I was startled to find an email from Booking.com stating that my reservation had been cancelled! At this late date, I knew it would be impossible to find another room at a reasonable rate. I immediately called Booking.com to find out what happened, as I certainly hadn't cancelled a reservation that I booked almost a year earlier. Booking.com checked their caller ID records and told me that the cancellation call came from the hotel phone number. Someone from the hotel had actually pretended to be me (identity theft) on two different occasions! On the first try, the person couldn't supply the pin number provided in my reservation confirmation email, so the cancellation didn't go through. On the second try, the person provided a convincing enough story to get the cancellation to go through without the pin number.

Needless to say, I was horrified that employees of a hotel would stoop so low as to use identity theft to cancel a customer's reservation without permission to get a higher rate for a New Year's Eve booking. I have to say that Booking.com was very helpful in trying to solve the situation, because by the time I called the hotel about the erroneous cancellation, my original double queen room had been given to someone else at a much higher rate (of course). The hotel offered me a single queen room for $189 or a single king room for $209. Neither the rooms nor the rates were acceptable. I was told to call the following morning and speak to the hotel manager, as she was supposedly the only person who could fix this mess.

The following morning, I spoke to Joanna, the hotel manager, who had been told of the situation. She claimed that the hotel had no control over the prices listed on Booking.com (which is not true) and that hotel employyes can't change or cancel reservations (well, they can if they pretend to be you).

After much rangling between Booking.com and the hotel, I was sent email confirmations for my original double queen room at the original price of $109. When I arrived at the hotel on the afternoon of December 31, low and behold, I was given a single queen room instead of a double queen room. My daughter was supposed to be joining me and my granddaughter that evening to accompany us to the Rose Parade. Quite frankly, I was too exhausted from the whole ordeal to fight over the room any more. I wasn't sure if my daughter was going to join us for the night or arrive early the following morning, but I had wanted the extra bed available just in case.

As it turned out, my daughter called to say that she would indeed be joining us later that evening. I tried to call the front desk four times to try and get a foldaway bed for my three-year-old granddaughter, but no one ever answered the phone. It was freezing cold, we were already dressed for bed, and I couldn't leave my granddaughter alone in the room to go to the office. We ended up sleeping three people in one queen bed. As you can imagine, it was a miserable night of tossing and turning.

In the final analysis, this hotel has great amenities in the room for the price. However, I feel that the management was unethical, perhaps even criminal, in their dealings with me. I had my confirmed booking price changed by a hotel employee, my reservation cancelled by a hotel employee who assumed my identity, was lied to about how it all happened, was given a room that was not adequate nor what I booked, and was ignored when I called the front desk for help.

Vagabond Inns are a franchise with each location having different owners, so it's a crap shoot as far as what you may get. I plan on sharing my experience at this location with Jason Yarbrough, the Vice President of Franchise Development, America's Best Franchising.

• Stayed December 2010
Richmond, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

First, we got there early (couple of hours early). We know it's 3pm to check in but we tried anyway. We were greeted by a staff that doesn't even smile or makes you feel welcome at all. All she said was "come back at 3." That was it!
Our sink in the room was leaking really bad, it took them 3-4 days to finally check it out and fix it. On our 5th night, we came back at our room with our DOOR OPEN! We know that our room was cleaned by the cleaning lady but at least make sure to CLOSE the DOOR. The only good news was nothing got taken away. We called the staff and first thing the staff asked us was "Did you close the door?" COME ON!!!!! Why would we call them if we knew we didn't close the door!? A little common sense here people!
It's been a month now since we stayed there and I'm still angry!
This a 2 star hotel, it shouldn't even have a star at all. Management team, please review your staff real carefully and make sure they treat every guest/s even.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
VIGlendale, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - Glendale, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience at our property.
Our staff works very hard on to making our Guests welcomed and like if they were at home. We always try to make the stay easy and comfortable.
I would like to invite you into coming to stay with us again.
I can assure you the experience will be different and better.
Have a wonderful day!
Sincerely, Joana GM
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We choose this MOTEL to be close to a hospital and was delighted with the very clean rooms, newer beds that offered a good nights rest, clean- often quiet pool and a fridge in the room for under $110!
Did I mention they have Free Parking and Free Internet... in LA!
This motel is right across the street from a Disney-like Mall called the Americana- great place to walk around at night. A 3-minute walk to many restaurants suggest FOXY's for Breakfast.
If we come back to Glendale- this motel would be our first choice for it's great price and neighbourhood.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank advcardio
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay @ Vagabond Inn Glendale.
I am glad you had such a great experience.
We look forward to seeing you and your family soon again.
Sincerely Joana R. GM
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have just stayed in this hotel for 13 nights, I stayed so long because it was a very nice hotel. The area was good for shopping and restaurants, and the public transportation was close wherever you want to go.
Rooms are spacious, has fridge, microwave and coffemaker. The pool area was clean. The only minus is that the breakfast could be more healthy.
I wil definitely go back to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VIGlendale, Manager at Vagabond Inn - Glendale, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Dear Guest,
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us
Our staff always strives to make our Guests feel if they were at Home.
We we'll make sure we give you and your guests a warmth welcome next time you are in town.
Sincerely Joana R. General Manager