“Can't get this night back.”
Review of Hotel Brandwood

Hotel Brandwood
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Glendale
San Diego, California, United States
“Can't get this night back.”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The smell in our room was moldy and musty. I know it's an old hotel, but it doesn't have to smell old too. We were hoping for a nice weekend stay, but the attitude of some of the staff members made this a bad experience (along with the smell). We won't be heading back to the Brandwood anytime soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Prior to the trip I was surprised to find that the reviews I'd read ranged from one-star to five-star. After staying there I can understand why. It's all based upon expectations. The Brandwood is an old 40-room hotel that is heavy on basics and minimal on frills. No elevator; and it's 34 steps up from street to lobby (our room happened to be on lobby level). It's a hotel; there's no food. The room was small, but quite comfortable. I guess that the front rooms have views of the street, but most of the rooms have views of either a wall, a few inches distant, or the rear alley area. It was quiet; we heard none of the adjacent bar and restaurant sounds. The bathroom was large and had both shower and tub (jacuzzi). Parking is adjacent to the hotel on the roof of a Bank of America owned garage. The staff was helpful and courteous in all respects. I can't comment on rates, since we were there for 2 nights over New Year's Eve for the Rose Parade, and the rates were understandingly sky-high for that time. Most reviewers commented favorably on the convenience of the location. True, it was right on the main street of Glendale; but the eateries and shops in walking proximity to the hotel were not our cup-of-tea. But then we're "old folks," and not as willing to attempt some of today's more international cuisines.

Room Tip: Our room was number 111. One bedroom window had no view; the bathroom viewed the back alley.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tom T
California
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Small room, but newly remodeled and comfortable. We had an end unit so had 2 windows which was nice. Convenient to walk to restaurants, shopping etc. free parking behind in Bank lot. There is no elevator so you do have to carry your luggage upstairs. The only coffee is the typical poor in-room pot, but Porto's Bakery is a half block away and it's fantastic (except the long, long lines, almost all day).

Room Tip: End unit, third floor was good choice, had 2 windows and nice views on clear day.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bettyobradCA
City of Angels
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Even though I live a few miles up the street..... I knew that after the wedding (around the corner) that I wasn't going to want to drive any distance, so.....

I searched online and found that it was closer to the event, it has FREE PARKING and the rooms were quite a bit less than the Local Major Hotel Chains.

The staff was more than friendly, and as the only have stairs (two flights) they carry your bags for you. The rooms were exceptionally clean and well maintained. They upgraded us to an"executive" w/ a jacuzzi tub! They have free Wi-Fi and 1 pc in the lobby. The hotel is Happily 18 & over, so that makes for quiet.

On the same block is Porto's, Jax, Damon's. Across the street is a Vietnamese, a Chinese restaurant and Carousel. Next door is a BOA, down the street (next block) is the Americana, which is connected to the Galleria... There is a bookstore, the Goodwill, and many other places to shop/eat...ALL Within Walking Distance!

So this is isn't a "suite" Hotel, and the specialty drinks in the room are extra...when they didn't have they type of Starbucks I prefer, they offered to run to the store & get me one! You just don't get that type service anyplace else!

I do not know when I'll ever have the chance to stay again, but for sure, should the opportunity present itself, this Is where I'll stay!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice.... This is an adult only hotel... and there is no elevator, only stairs, but...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
South Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Brandwood hotel is right in the heart of downtown Glendale, which was very convenient to where I was traveling/sightseeing in May 2012. The hotel is in a 1920's building: Very nicely done up. If you cannot walk up stairs, however, this hotel really is not going to be your cup of tea. Other than that, my experience there was delightful. It was quiet, the staff was very friendly, the room was spacious enough and clean with very comfy bedding. I was traveling alone and did not feel at all threatened. Parking was behind the hotel on the second floor of a garage; uncovered, but the weather was great and it was free! No breakfast service, but Porto's bakery is a block or two done the street and so very delicious. My experience at this hotel was very positive and I cannot wait to stay here again when next I travel to LA!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the exit/entrance ways are quieter (as is usually the case).
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Big Bear Region, California
Reviewed November 15, 2012

not too often that i stay in a building built in the 1920's. smaller rooms, some sound through the walls and a big HUM from the rooftop A/C unit, but that was offset by the beautiful room, soft sheets, updated Bath, and great central location. Lots of shopping and dining and used bookstores within a short walk. The WiFi worked great and the parking was free and nearby. a word of caution, there is no elevator, and the first floor is up a long flight of stairs. second floor of hotel is actually the third floor of the building, mention this on check in to see if you can avoid the top floor unless you like a leg workout with or without luggage.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vikingfuneral
London
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I chose a hotel in Gelndale as it was equidistant from 2 bars and a music venue that we were planning to visit on a short trip to LA. We pulled up at the back of the Brandwood and it looked a bit like a dodgy alleyway, but the hotel turned out to be really lovely. I ran inside to ask about parking and a very nice staff member ran upstairs to get me a parking pass while I waited downstairs. Free parking at the Bank of America was a real asset. When we checked in, we were explained about the back entrance which made travel to/from the parking lot very easy. I was a bit worried at first because our room was right next to the rear entrance/exit but we didn't hear any noise at night (although we are not early to bed so can't speak for earlier in the evening). The room was perfect for our needs. Clean with a comfy bed, nice furniture, working free wifi and good coffee. I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple