“Great neighborhood Mexican”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The best thing about La Cabanita is the chips. It is easy to go through 3 bowls before you even see your entree - which is very dangerous because the food is very good, It offers your run of the mill tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc., with some interesting beef and chicken entrees if you want a departure from the usual. La Cabanita is very popular with the locals on the weekend, so I recommend getting there before 6pm because they do not take reservations. I can't rave about the chips enough!

Reviewed December 17, 2011

We have been dining at La Cabanita since it began in one small store front years ago. Since then, it has expanded to include a second store front , a full bar, and a large private dining room. Southern California is full of good Mexican restaurants, but the food at La Cabanita is a cut above. The chili rellenos and the enchiladas are made with your choice of sauces. The rellenos can be ordered topped with a white walnut sauce, sprinkled with pomegranites. I was first served this delicacy in a private home in Mexico City. The carnitas are also delicious. Home-made, plump corn tortillas come out fresh from the kitchen. La Cabanita is a favorite with the Hollywood film crowd. Signed pictures of their famous guests, including Elizabeth Taylor and Tom Harmon hang on one wall. Another wall boasts a beautiful mural of a pastoral Mexican setting. Whether you choose to go for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you will be pleased.

Reviewed October 26, 2011

My hubby and I tried this place on a lark. Hey, at our age, that is kinda exciting

It is along a row of shops on Verdugo Rd, and they are ALL hard to find. Parking on the street, another slight issue.
But that lark thing..we were not deterred.

We did not have reservations, but did not wait long, or shall I say we waited at the bar, had a margarita while waiting so waiting did not seem long!

The waiter was warm and the chips kept coming.
Not the best chips and salsa, but fine
I ordered the carrot soup (odd to see on a Mexican menu) OMG it was sooo good. I swear there must be a stick of butter in it. Don't care. It was amazing.

My chili relleno was fine, in fact pretty darn good, but after that carrot soup, it wasnt amazing, but it was good.
My hubby enjoyed his chicken, and forgive me TA readers, at that point the margs kicked in.
The margs here are strong, so caution to you. I felt no pain but my short term memory got impaired.

We have been back with friends, and again, meal was fine, the margs strong.

Having had amazing Mexican in Los Angeles, I can't say this is the best I have had, but it is authentic, and tasty and the waiters are friendly and it is a neighborhood restaurant so I give it a thumbs up!

1  Thank aswessen
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We had a great dining experience at La Cabanita. The food is not your typical Mexican fare. Many dishes with stuffed pablano peppers. Chilies Nogales was great. My son had another dish which was pablanos stuffed with shrimp topped with a delicious sauce. I can't wait to get back to try the ropa vieja and the mole dishes. Oh- the margaritas are pretty good too.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

It may be expensive, but they don't rip you off. They give you a lot of food. Even my, who likes a lot of food, can barely finish his meal

Been to La Cabanita? Share your experiences!