“Disgusting not clean at all, reeks of cigarette smoke.”

Glen Capri Inn & Suites - San Fernando Road
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
“Disgusting not clean at all, reeks of cigarette smoke.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

Stayed here one night. Big mistake. Firts of all I asked for a non smoking room, and room we got reeked of smoke. The restroom walls were splatered with something. The wash cloth's and towells had stains on them. We had to ask for new bed sheets because those were stained too. This place was just plain gross. Not worth it, just to save a few bucks.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Joser605

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We had booked two nights at Pasadena Rodeway. I was tired of staying in LA (where one has to drive no matter where one stays anyway) and paying for hotel parking, and I thought Pasadena/Glendale had good freeway connections for what we were looking for. The Rodeway was $10 cheaper, but was just plain depressing. It's not a place for people looking for fun or romance to be sure. We also considered the highly rated Jerry's Motel near LA Live, but when we visited, although they were super nice, the hotel did look a little dark and dingy.

Anyway, on to Glen Capri on San Fernando. We saw Glen Capri on Tripadvisor, called to make reservations and showed up. One interesting thing is they took our credit card, and then told us they'd hold it until 8 pm. :) No late night arrivals--but they are a hard working family trying to make money--so we just made sure we got there well before 8 pm.

We were pleasantly surprised by how clean, spacious, and liveable the motel was. We stayed upstairs and loved the neon sign--really retro in a great way. The counters, sofa in room, large flat screen tv with HBO, wireless internet by google, quiet fridge/microwave--were all liveable touches. Free parking, and close to freeways. I thought the shower pressure was a wee bit low and had one of those spigot controls that are mysterious and one has to divine to max out hot water and water pressure. Also, the ice machine was not free sadly.

The motel is quaint enough that it has been used in many movies as "the affair" place. You can look it up. But overall, compared to more depressing alternatives, I thought this was a very liveable and great stay. I only wish I had mentioned my triple AAA to get the discount (which may be 10%).

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 200 above the office. The shower was so-so, but the view of the Neon sign was ver...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LeCreuset
Allen, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

The front desk was very helpful in accommodating my need for an upstairs room. The room was decent and the bed surprisingly comfortable. The space and the bed were clean and free of heavy perfumes or smoke or toxic cleaning smells.The bathroom was clean, but the shower fell apart as I pulled it on, and since I was in a rush, I had to improvise. (There didn't seem to be a phone in the room to call the front desk) Mentioning this because when I checked out I advised the front desk and they brushed it off. An "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" would have been appreciated. No street noise on the second floor. My neighbors were partying loudly outside the door but were nice enough to quiet down when I asked (after midnight). The neighborhood isn't bad at all, -there was no time where I felt unsafe-and it is convenient to both Glendale and Burbank and the airport. The price is the best you will find for an equivalent space in that area. I travel a fair amount and in most areas can afford the Garden Inns or the Comfort Inns, so am used to a pretty nice standard; Glen Capri was comfortable digs for a reasonable price in a high price market.

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor room & make sure the shower works before you need it!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

I don't usually stay in motels but went ahead and booked a three night stay based on the TripAdvisor reviews. Keep in mind this is a motel. Even though I requested a 2nd floor room, I was given a ground floor (1st floor) room. As expected, I heard my upstair neighbor walking around. Actually it was more like creaking floor walking around noise. You know, the noise old houses make when walking around on the upper floors. The room contained a comfy king size bed with two night stands, microwave, refrigerator, TV, dresser and small table with two chairs. The room contained a counter with a sink, mirror and hair dryer. The bathroom contained a pedestal sink and shower/tub combination. Toiletries were very basic: soap, shampoo, lotion. They offer coffee in the morning and newpapers in the office. There is a restaurant next to the motel, but I didn't try it out. Not far from the motel (Alameda/San Fernando) are two small shopping centers: grocery stores (Ralph's, Trader Joe's), two pharmacies, Starbucks, etc. Burbank Villiage is close with lots of shopping and restaurants.

Customer Service: Upon booking my reservation via the web, I received a very detailed and informative email confirmation. The next day I received a "Welcome" email with contact information for the General Manager. After checking in, I received a call from the manager making sure I was satisfied with the room and to offer any assistance. On day two when I returned to my room I found it smelling like cigarette smoke. I think it must have been sucked into the room via the window A/C unit. I requested some air freshner which was given to me immediately. The next day, as I returned to my room, the manager met me with the air freshner. I didn't need it but I was impressed with the customer service. A few days after checking out, I received a "Thank You" email from the General Manager. Based on my experience, the management and staff are making every effort at making this a clean, comfortable place to stay with an emphasis on customer service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank lieslb
Central California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

From the surrounding area and the price -- one of the best in the area -- I have to admit I didn't expect much. Yet I was surprised by the comfort, cleanliness, and courtesy that awaited me in my brief stay. Granted, there are few amenities in the area, but Griffith Park is just a few blocks away and the more commercial areas of Glendale just a bit further, still this branch of the Glen Capri (3 I think), is well worth the money you save from the way more expensive chains, unless you have to have a pool and such. It's a steal for a cozy, quiet, and very comfortable night's sleep in Glendale. It will always be my first stop there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

I had to see it with my own eyes after reading the many wonderful reviews -- it's true! This is a wonderful little place to stay! The location was ideal for our trip to Universal Studios the following day. The room was very clean, quite, and comfortable. I was honestly in shock that a room so inexpensive could actually be nice! It is a no frills place -- if you expect plush bath towels and luxury hand soap you are forgetting the cost to stay here. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and the bathrooms were sparkling clean. There was even a mini fridge and microwave in the room, which were very convenient. If I'm in that area again, the Glen Capri on San Fernando will be my first choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in a non-smoking room on the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle M
Burbank, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stay here every couple of weeks for a little romantic escape. Very comfortable, clean, and well decorated. Great value for the price. When we first stayed here, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the room, the comfort, the value, and the friendliness of the staff. This place is a hidden gem!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glendale
Rodeway Inn Regalodge
Econo Lodge
#5 of 15 in Glendale
Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles Glendale
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Glendale

Been to Glen Capri Inn & Suites - San Fernando Road? Share your experiences!